What would you choose...?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can totally appreciate what your saying.... the mid size bikes are really fun and flickable - maybe a bit less dangerous... but still quite exhilarating...

I guess what I'm looking to do by getting a liter bike is to have a great and powerful bike - thats already setup right from the start with more then enough power, suspension, and brakes so that I really don't feel the need to upgrade all that stuff, and then have it turn into a maintenance deal for me...

Street to Track kinda thing... the less hassle the better for me...

And another point your making - the raw power can get away from ya, spinning that rear out on ya is always a danger for someone that just can't grasp or sense it coming on so fast.... god knows I have found myself and hopefully everyone has found themselves in those situations at one point or another so they get some appreciation and experience in that realm of behavior... coming from dirt to street can be a great teacher, some if not most never get to add to their portfolio of hard running...

That is one of the reasons I was looking at the BMW - with the traction control.... I'm not a racing fanatic here, but can surely appreciate the joys of track day, and it can be a helpful tool to keep things for getting out of control for a less then everyday racer...

I know avid racers may balk at such an implementation, but I think for guys with my desires - it can be a great tech to have under the hood if you will....

IMHO if you get the BMW and have a problem the factory & dealers will never admit it is a problem (surging oil heads, final drive problems..............).
True Dat Rogue - but not much different then Mommy Yammy with the tickers on the FJR

Gets to be horse a piece - though the R1 has a long standing history at this point...
What would you expect? That Yamaha would prospectively replace the valve guides? That would be pretty stupid on their part since only around 20% of the units were effected. And those that are effected are not incapacitated (they will still run for a long time after being diagnosed). Yet they have fixed every ticker I am aware of, under warranty or not. Seems like they have stepped up on that issue to me.

How many BMW final drives do you suppose are getting replaced out of warranty?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa.... I typed 2010 yamaha r1 into google and was surprised this come up...

Figured I couldn't post the pic, but you can click it yourself if you want... :D

***Edit*** Link to pic removed... You can see the pic at the top of the google search if you would like to click it - up to you (Naughty R1) 3rd pic on the top

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=2010+yamaha+r1

If the bike came stock with one of those, I think I'd be done looking...

I'd like to give the cross plane crank a spin, and have always been partial to undertail exhausts.

The white R1. It's different not many bikes that are mostly white like that. White and blue too GSXRish. Plenty of black colored bikes. I've had it with Beemers, sorry, that's just me.

An FZ-1 or a Bandit.

These old knees would really complain about the riding position on either of those two.

If I were a bit younger (like 15-20 years, or in better physical shape)... the R-1 or an Gixxer to use as a track bike. I know me well enough to understand any sport bike would jeopardize my driver's license.

For me:

The R-1 has a proven track record for dependability, a huge aftermarket parts & modification network and many websites where one could find help if one were to modify anything.

The BMW is certainly high tech and would have a certain "WOW factor" but it is also a "first year" bike (which means dealing with possible glitches or recalls), no wide-based internet or aftermarket help available and dealer parts and mechanical adjustments/repairs can be expensive.

In the end, it'll be your decision and your fun to enjoy either choice.

Studio_LHF_Red_White_700p.jpg

or

2009-fireblade-cbr1000rr-photo.jpg

I sure wish they had that color scheme here. Stupid Honda. :-|

I'd like to give the cross plane crank a spin, and have always been partial to undertail exhausts.
Ooooohhhhh Bay-bee! "I'd like to give the cross plane crank a spin"..... :eek:

Hey....I'm a male....I have "undertail exhausts"! ;)

:lol:

:yahoo:

:rofl:

If I HAD to have an Insane-O-Bike, neither of the choices listed would be on my short list. This would.....

Muzzy.jpg

I've just always been partial to Kawasaki Suicide machines.

If I HAD to have an Insane-O-Bike, neither of the choices listed would be on my short list. This would.....

Hey Howie.... How is that donation of mine coming along... did you get your bike up and runnin?

Hey Howie.... How is that donation of mine coming along... did you get your bike up and runnin?
Now THATS funny :clapping:

Not from where I'm sittin'. :finger:

STILL (sigh) waiting on a few critical parts.

If I had your choice...

I would go for the Yamaha because I would crash it eventually while pushing for those lower numbers. It’s a mental defect my wife has learned to live with. Cheaper to put back together and I could sleep better knowing my play bike’s new fairing has yet to be molded in Bavaria. Sourcing aftermarket goodies will always be easier with the four biggies because of numbers. It looks like the Beemer comes with better suspension/brakes but if you are pushing it so hard that those begin to matter a used race bike should be on the menu.

If I had my choice...

GSX-R 750 :yahoo:

2009-gsx-r-750.jpg

Now THATS funny :clapping:

Not from where I'm sittin'. :finger:

STILL (sigh) waiting on a few critical parts.
What ya missing besides your testicles there fukpickle?

:jester: