What would you do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you do?

• I would sell the bike to anyone.

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I would not sell to someone who had never ridden before.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

spyderbret

Reaction score
So Im selling my 87 Honda Interceptor, that i rebuilt last year, on Craigslist. The first call i got was from a guy who had never ridden a bike before.

He wanted to just come and buy it and try to ride home. I told him that i wouldnt feel comfortable selling to him if he was just going to try and ride straight home. Maybe if he came with a truck and then tried to learn at home or something...... Anyway, he endednup hanging up on me and now my bike is still for sale..

What would you do? My wife asked why it mattered, people can do what they want, they dont need me to tell them what to do. Im comfortable with my decision and am sticking to it but I was wondering how someone else in the same position would react?

+1, Gunny; You're an Honorable and Honest Man Bret, I've done the same thing myself and years later have never regretted my decision to not to sell my moto to someone who could not ride it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would sell it to him. If you are not comfortable with him leaving from your premises, take it to his house or have an experienced rider take it home for him.

The dealers sell bikes all the time to new riders who ride them home. When I bought my first bike, the individual insisted I ride the bike around his neighborhood before I could buy it. I had riden ATV's and stuff all my life so no sweat. Sounds like you missed a sale. I understand not wanting someones crash on your conscience.

I recently sold a ninja 250 to a young kid who was just learning. I did not like the thought of this kid wrecking on my bike. I simply encouraged him to take the MSF course and always wear his gear. I trailered the bike to his house. I even gave hime $50 off the agreed price (still made a profit)to buy gloves. I have heard from his father and he is doing well, riding every day.

tough call on this one...i might had agreed to deliver the bike to his house depending on distance

willie

So Im selling my 87 Honda Interceptor, that i rebuilt last year, on Craigslist. The first call i got was from a guy who had never ridden a bike before.

He wanted to just come and buy it and try to ride home. I told him that i wouldnt feel comfortable selling to him if he was just going to try and ride straight home. Maybe if he came with a truck and then tried to learn at home or something...... Anyway, he endednup hanging up on me and now my bike is still for sale..

What would you do? My wife asked why it mattered, people can do what they want, they dont need me to tell them what to do. Im comfortable with my decision and am sticking to it but I was wondering how someone else in the same position would react?
That is a very tough issue. On the one hand; All of us were new riders at some point. I had never ridden a street bike when I bought my first one. I bought my first Harley years later and took the MSF course a month later. No one wants to hurt someone because of their negligence. On the other hand; you cannot idiot proof the world and you dont want to lose a sale either. If all the dealerships refused to sell to new riders, they would all go broke. That gentleman should be expected to show a modicum of common sense and then let him have it. It is his decision after all. That is like selling a rifle to someone who has never shot before. You can only educate and encourage to the best of your ability and then take their money. I am glad you stuck by your decision, but maybe you are being a bit too strict? Let your conscience be your guide. Obviously since you spoke to the man; something didnt feel right to you. Another will come along and be very happy to buy your machine. You probably did the right thing in this instance. None of us are standing in your shoes....so it is pretty tough to make that judgement call. Good luck on your sale!!

I think you did the right thing. With my luck, the guy would get run over by a cage right in front of my house. Better to miss a sale than be inadvertently responsible for a crash. :ph34r:

like a lot of gray areas in life...go with ya gut

sounds like you did in this case and that's honorable

the hardest thing for me is if a friend asks me to help get them into motorcycling

or even to help deciding on a bike

I would hate and be depressed if it doesn't work out for any reason

but I do require them to take the beginners course with a "take the course and see how you do" then come back and we'll talk

I've done the same thing. I sleep very well, thank you!

I might have trailered it to his home and made sure my name was off the title (go directly to DMV!).

In the end, you've made the best decision for you. His life choices are his.

Id offer him some strong advice, but I don't think it's my place to tell any other person what to do. Not everyone needs you, or the government, or anyone else, making decisions about their safety. I understand exactly why you did it, it's just not my way.

Joe

Anyway, he endednup hanging up on me and now my bike is still for sale..
Because you're comfortable about your decision, enough said. :drinks:

I would do the following however:

Contact him back now that some time has passed and try again to enroll him in your idea. Maybe he wasn't that serious in the first place. If he is serious, he needs to be sold on your reasoning, he's already sold on the bike. Try a different approach to educating him on why you feel the way you do. Explain that it means a great deal to you personally and it's not about him at all. You're not setting in judgment of him. Ask for his help and in the end, he will be getting the deal he wants. Sometimes people need a second or even third chance to say yes. Help him achieve his objective and you have achieved yours.

Keep Going!

At work I'm a safety guy. I OK jobs and stop work if I don't like the way things are being done. My work practices follow *me* home, I don't force my will on others beyond my kid and spouse. I might make a suggestion, but past that, if they're of age, folks can do as they wish. I've sold bikes to people with questionable riding skills with advice attached. If they choose to ignore me, it's their prerogative, and I don't concern myself further. These folks don't get a test ride, but are welcome to buy anything I have for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm- WWFJRJD? Almost all of the above. One must sure CYA these days., along with a ton of disclaimers. I would have done all I could to impress this individual of the gravity of such a decision and the risk at hand. No test rides, definetly.

You did good. My friend sold a bike to a guy who wadded up and killed himself literally moments after the sale. No matter how much money, I'd take that horrible feeling of responsibility to my grave. But that's just me.

Every new rider has to buy a bike some time, don't they? Otherwise, how will they be reasonably expected to become an experienced rider?

I would think that an 87 VFR (500cc, yes?) would be a pretty good bike to learn on. I mean, it's not like you were selling a 'busa to a first-timer. That said, I'd have sold it to the guy with the STRONG encouragement to go get some BRC training. I may have made it a requirement that if he rides it away form my property or thereabouts, he wear a helmet.