What would you do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
Long story short -- I have an 06 FJR with ~43k on it, while sitting at a stop sign ~5 weeks ago I was rear-ended by a lady assuming I had already left and merged into traffic. I luckily did not go down and I was not hurt badly (shoulder injury that I am almost over) but I have been so busy I am just now getting around to squaring this away. The damage to the bike amounts to: the left saddlebag was destroyed, the exhaust was scuffed and bent out and down about 1" in both directions and the plastic on the back side got messed up. The local dealer said $1800 in parts and $800 in labor for new bag, exhaust, exhaust mounting brackets, some plastic, and labor.

I am kind of leaning towards buffing out the exhaust and getting the dealer to put it back in place with new brackets etc... then shopping around for a used bag maybe putting the difference into a GIVI trunk, but I have some folks urging me towards just letting the dealer make my bike whole again?

What do you guys think about putting $2600 into this bike, waste?

Last edited by a moderator:
Easily get the exhaust and bag on here or ebay. Make sure you check under the seat and there are no cracks in the aluminum tail section. Plastic parts should be easy to replace or ebay as well for them. Of course send her the estimate and get the money first.

Easily get the exhaust and bag on here or ebay. Make sure you check under the seat and there are no cracks in the aluminum tail section. Plastic parts should be easy to replace or ebay as well for them. Of course send her the estimate and get the money first.
Yeah, her insurance is not putting up any kind of fight, I expect the check this week.

Nothing wrong with bargain shopping with the insurance money.

As for "buffing" it depends on how close to new you want it to be. Some people can't stand to see any sign of damage and want it all new. Some people don't mind a scar or two, and understand that thing that get used will look used after a bit. But buffing will never look as good as new, if that's what you want.

Like I said, though, nothing wrong with using the insurance check however you want to.

Make them pay for loss of use. check out rental places and get a per day quote based on how many days your bike would be in the shop. I got $110/day on my vstar 1300 being out 8 days in a slight rearender.

Also diminished value. just google "motorcycle diminished value" and places will pop up. Cost me about $100 and I got about $1200 from the insurance company. And this is for just crinkling the back fender on my v-star and replacing it with new. email me and I will send you the link for who I used if you want. Somewhere by portland, all done quick and easy. took about 1 hour of my time to put together info, send it to them and then forward the claim on to the insurance company.

good luck.

06 with 43k?

Unless it was absolutely spotless and your 'baby', I wouldn't put $2600 into it. As mentioned already, get replacement parts on the cheap and do the work yourself.

What he said. I did it a few years ago after a tip over, courtesy of a Chevrolet. Came out quite well, cosmetically AND financially.

Thanks for the thoughts everybody. I was kind of leaning towards the bargain route and this has pretty well sealed the deal for me.

Make them pay for loss of use. check out rental places and get a per day quote based on how many days your bike would be in the shop. I got $110/day on my vstar 1300 being out 8 days in a slight rearender.

Also diminished value. just google "motorcycle diminished value" and places will pop up. Cost me about $100 and I got about $1200 from the insurance company. And this is for just crinkling the back fender on my v-star and replacing it with new. email me and I will send you the link for who I used if you want. Somewhere by portland, all done quick and easy. took about 1 hour of my time to put together info, send it to them and then forward the claim on to the insurance company.

good luck.
People who milk the insurance companies for all their worth are what cause the rest of us to pay higher premiums. :angry: Whatever floats your boat.

Long story short -- I have an 06 FJR with ~43k on it, while sitting at a stop sign ~5 weeks ago I was rear-ended by a lady assuming I had already left and merged into traffic. I luckily did not go down and I was not hurt badly (shoulder injury that I am almost over) but I have been so busy I am just now getting around to squaring this away. The damage to the bike amounts to: the left saddlebag was destroyed, the exhaust was scuffed and bent out and down about 1" in both directions and the plastic on the back side got messed up. The local dealer said $1800 in parts and $800 in labor for new bag, exhaust, exhaust mounting brackets, some plastic, and labor.

I am kind of leaning towards buffing out the exhaust and getting the dealer to put it back in place with new brackets etc... then shopping around for a used bag maybe putting the difference into a GIVI trunk, but I have some folks urging me towards just letting the dealer make my bike whole again?

What do you guys think about putting $2600 into this bike, waste?
If the driver was insured and you got her info just have your estimate sent to her insurance requesting your check for repairs. If you own your MC out right I would put money toward new ride but if you still owe on MC you may have to just fix it unless you want to pay off what you owe and then still have a broken down MC

Nobody is milking anybody. The purpose of liability insurance is to "be made whole". Loss of use and diminished value are real losses. Would you pay the same for any vehicle, especially a motorcycle that had been in an accident, any accident than you would for the identical one that was clean? Only a fool would. And only a less than honest person would sell their bike and represent their bike as clean, when in fact it had been in an accident. Why does Carfax exist?

Should you have to go without being able to use your motorcycle because of someone elses carelessness? of course not.

Insurance companies will never offer to pay for either of these losses, so it is up to you, to bring these things up. And remember, insurance companies never, never pay for what they are not legally obligated to pay. So lay off the milking crap because legitimate claims don't drive up premiums. Fraudulent claims drive up premiums for everyone. And only the careless drivers pay higher premiums, as they should.

+1

FYI, I just bought a set of Gen 2 mufflers and I only need the right side. Haven't received them yet but I'll PM ya know when I do.

Hey, While your searching the net for a side bag look for a right side bag for an 07, I have not had any luck and have been looking for about 6 months. This item isn't as easy to find as some might suggest. <_< I haven't looked everyday, but check when I can. Good luck on the rebuild, I would sell out and collect the insurance and find another bike.

People who milk the insurance companies for all their worth are what cause the rest of us to pay higher premiums. :angry: Whatever floats your boat.
That is NOT "milking the insurance company for all it is worth." That is making the insurance company pay what they are supposed to pay. If we don't ask for what we are owed, do you think the companies are going to volunteer to pay anything they can get away with not paying?

Rates will go up regardless; don't be foolish.

The person whose rates should go up in this instance is the person that caused the crash.

If the OP is making false or inflated claims against the insurance company, then there is a problem. It doesn't look that way to me. We pay rates for a reason, and insurance denies everything it can.

I for one will not fault someone for making he company pay what they should.

EDIT: I see Bucky beat me to it. Opened the reply window and then had to walk away for an hour. Either way it all applies.