What would you do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stose85

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been milling over the options for cruise control units for a while now, and I saw that you can pick up a CCS-100 on murphskits for under $200. Now that its ordered I have a couple of choices. Should I attempt to get this thing installed and on the bike prior to NAFO, or play it safe and wait until after the rally?

I've read through a lot of good write ups using the search feature, but if there's one that is more user friendly than the others please add it to a comment. Thanks!

You need to have prepared

- several uninterrupted hours

- tools to do whatever disassembly you need for the installation you choose

- a sharp drill (for the throttle tang)

- a method for tapping wires, and knowledge of where wires to be tapped are and their colours

- your choice of multiple vacuum valves or a reservoir with a valve and possibly extra vacuum piping

- means to waterproof your control panel

- a million plastic wire ties

With the right preparation it is not a hard job.

FWIW you can find my installation through my signature "Some of my FJRForum contributions" link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks mcatrophy, this is what I was looking for. I wanted to try and get everything prepared ahead of time to make the installation as easy as possible. Is there a reason why you didn't install the vacuum unit under the seats like some others have done?

Never never never never screw with your bike right before you need it for something. Yes, personal experience.

20131003_131812_zpsb2b23bc6.jpg

Hey, if you want to poke that Murphey guy with a stick, that's your deal, but you asked. That box cause the cancellation of a trip that wouldn't happen for another two years. If it's running right, don't eff with it. Install when you get back.
biggrin.png

Also, if you install when you get back, and don't particularly need the bike, I guarantee the installation will go smoothly and without a hitch. I make no guarantees about doing before a trip.

Hey, if you want to poke that Murphey guy with a stick, that's your deal, but you asked. That box cause the cancellation of a trip that wouldn't happen for another two years. If it's running right, don't eff with it. Install when you get back.
biggrin.png

Also, if you install when you get back, and don't particularly need the bike, I guarantee the installation will go smoothly and without a hitch. I make no guarantees about doing before a trip.
You're probably right Jasen, and Murphey and I aren't on good terms anyways. I'd be pissed and I'm sure the Mrs. would have my head if we missed NAFO this year.

Thanks mcatrophy, this is what I was looking for. I wanted to try and get everything prepared ahead of time to make the installation as easy as possible. Is there a reason why you didn't install the vacuum unit under the seats like some others have done?
Yes, mine was a YCC-S, there's a computer taking up space under the seat.

Yes, mine was a YCC-S, there's a computer taking up space under the seat.
That's what I thought, but I figured I'd ask just to make sure. Thank you.

biggrin.png

You're probably right Jasen, and Murphey and I aren't on good terms anyways. I'd be pissed and I'm sure the Mrs. would have my head if we missed NAFO this year.
You didn't mention risking the angry wife in your original post. I think your decision is quite easy then.
wink.png

Adding on a cruise control isn't like taking apart a critical component of the bike, if it doesn't get completed you can still ride it.

Start by drilling the throttle tab, if that doesn't get done then none of the rest matters. Figure out the attachment to the throttle tab. Dunno about the AE wiring voodoo but you may need a DPDT relay for the brake light signal. Find your location for the servo and figure out a bracket. Seal the control pad and have time for the sealant to dry. Figure out a mount for the control pad. Find/fabricate a vacuum reservoir. Source vacuum tees and check valves. Fabricate any wiring tees you want to use or simply tap all the wires directly. Set the DIP switches on the servo.

Bike still rideable? Yes.

Layout the cruise with the wires and vacuum bits similar to the way it will be going on the bike to get a visual of how things will need to be run.

Reread Mcatrophy's post #2

Bring a laptop into the garage and load up Mcatrophy's How-To. Begin.

Something is missing or goes wrong and you have to stop.

Go to NAFO if there is no time to recover.

If there is time to recover, finish the job.

On the way to NAFO, use the cruise control and wonder how you got along without it, especially on a long ride like the one to NAFO.

Lol. You guys make for some entertaining reading! I went with Rostra on my Gen I but it is almost the same as yours except for the vacuum vs electronic actuator, plan on a full and long day to get everything mounted and routed. If Murphy has pity on you that day, well you just might get er done a little quicker. Besides having issues with the vss signal tie in which you shouldn't because yours is an '06, the part that was the biggest pita for me was drilling and hooking up the actuator cable to the throttle. You might consider using Positap connectors for your wire taps, they are very easy to use and sped things up a little for me. You still have a week and a half to get that thing stuffed in there. If you happen to not get it working by then, no harm no foul, the bike is still ride able and you can finish it up when you get back. But....if you do get it going, you will be amazed by the difference it will make for you, you can actually kick back and relax a bit while maintaining a steady speed. Huge world of difference. Alan is right imho, go for it!

Well guys 15 hours of labor and this baby is SPOT ON!
chickawow.gif
It holds speeds from 40mph up to a true 72mph (what I tested safely today with a heat index of 107F) and doesn't vary by more than 2mph going up hill. Clutch, front, and rear brakes all disengage the unit and all the lights work! Boy oh boy am I glad I got this done before NAFO.

CRUISE CONTROL IS AWESOME!!!

Thank you everyone for the help and words of advice
punk.gif

Congratulations! I'm sure you are going to like the cruise, especially should you find yourself someplace with long, straight, flat roads ;)

The job isn't that hard to do with the exception of the throttle tab setup but all the kits have that bugaboo. However, to do a neat and reliable install it does take time. Now that you have done it once you have the experience to do it again much easier the next time, except you don't need to do it again.

Enjoy NAFO!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SacramentoMike" data-cid="1326046" data-time="1469057045"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ionbeam" data-cid="1326031" data-time="1469050707"><p> Now that you have done it once you have the experience to do it again much easier the next time, except you don't need to do it again.</p></blockquote>

<br />

Depends. Do all your friends have CC?</p></blockquote>

Haha no thanks!