What would You Want ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps my standards are too low but my '15ES is greater than anything my wildest imagination could conceive. Yeah, there are some issues but compared to the '84 GoldWing that was my first streetbike, the FJR is an incredible machine. Yamaha has done an excellent job of responding to the relatively small customer base of the FJR.

My only real complaint was changing the headlight bulbs and Yamaha fixed that in 2016.

Before I ask Yamaha to shave 100 pounds off the FJR perhaps I should shave 30 or so pounds off my belly.

Last edited by a moderator:
lunch truck larry posted: Yea,I wonder If Yamaha monitors or reads any of this , or is this just wishful thinking. A little skinny FJR would be pretty awesome
Back in the day, we were pretty sure Yamaha USA kept up with this Forum. And Momma Yama already claims to offer a little skinny FJR. I'll bet that sweetheart is a hoot during a three-day mountain romp.

So, I know exactly what it feels like to lose 100 lbs off the FJR. Thats what happens every time I drop off my wife and go ride it solo.

But Redfish is right. I could stand to lose another 20 lbs myself. Most of that is centrally located just above the belt line. ;)

As for the FJ-09, Im sure that with its lower weight it is much more nimble than an FJR, but it also has a major power handicap compared to the Feejer.

Redo the mirrors with ones that do not feature your elbows and beef up the subframe so it does not break when the bike tips over at rest.
A little bigger foot on the side stand would be nice.

None of those mods would be a major cost consideration.
Back in the Gen I days we would put FZ-1 mirrors on since they had a longer arm and were exact fitment. Hasn't someone found a similar Yamaha mirror swap for the newer Gen bikes yet?

I think Fred is on to something. R&D money spent on shaving a significant amount of weight would pay for itself a lot more than another electronic add on. A tough project though. A smaller engine and a turbo might give equal or better power with weigh reduction of the bike. But the turbo would have to be as seamless as the OEM auto ones have become, w/o dumping heat on the rider, in order to sell well.

Consider the cost of what you can easily add yourself, Vs how much more you would pay for the bike new, when making your lists. Even better, what existing Yamaha parts bin items would you like to see on the FJR? A bunch of R1 stuff makes it to the FJR in the next Gen. I wonder what else is there that the FJR would benefit from and already exists in the system?

FJ-09 might be worth looking into if it had shaft drive and cruise control.
The shaft drive might be tough, adding weight and reducing engine efficiency. But cruise control is just one more circuit on the ECU, right?

Just would like 2/3 or 3/4 of fjr in almost every way, weight, power, size, height but not to give up shaft or cruise control. My '14 fjr es is just too powerful for me with by limited self control. FJ-09 looks on paper almost it just need shaft drive and cruise.

Redo the mirrors with ones that do not feature your elbows and beef up the subframe so it does not break when the bike tips over at rest.
Back in the Gen I days we would put FZ-1 mirrors on since they had a longer arm and were exact fitment. Hasn't someone found a similar Yamaha mirror swap for the newer Gen bikes yet?
The cool kids are still putting the FZ-1 mirrors on to improve the rearward view. They also may help reduce the subframe breakage in the eventual parking lot drop, though Im unwilling to test that theory intentionally. ;)