What year FJR should I get?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrzrcool

Reaction score
Hello all-

I used to own a 2004 fjr years back but had to sell for personal reasons. Now, I'm ready to get another. With all your experience in the different years since then, which year do you recommend over others-if any? I personally like the look of the 2008, but want to make sure that the bike I get has the best updates to engine, heat, ride, etc etc.

Thanks in advance for your help. appreciate it.

Seems there are really only two options, Gen I or Gen II. You've had the Gen I and if you want the latest and greatest there is Gen II. No mind altering differences fron '06 to '11 models. It's a buyers market, start shopping. I picked up a '06 with a bunch of stuff for less than low book, deals are out there, and winter is coming.

Hello all-

I used to own a 2004 fjr years back but had to sell for personal reasons. Now, I'm ready to get another. With all your experience in the different years since then, which year do you recommend over others-if any? I personally like the look of the 2008, but want to make sure that the bike I get has the best updates to engine, heat, ride, etc etc.

If you go for a Gen II, I'd certainly suggest 2008 or later. I recently changed my '06 for a '10. The most obvious difference is the throttle cam modification, making it a much less abrupt initial power on; slow maneuvers and winding on in a corner are so much smoother, I think this happened in '08. (See the comparison matrix.)

Yes, Buster and others, making it as good in this respect as a Gen I. :)

Hello all-

I'm going to be a little off topic here. As you probably know, the gen 1 vs gen 2 differences are well documented. If money is no option, you would have bought a new one already. So, since you probably have to slave away for every dime like the rest of us, the choice would have to involve how do I get the most bang for my buck... that is, once you've decided on gen 1 or gen 2. That being said, there are two rather expensive options you might want to consider... the ABS and that amazing automatic clutch. Do ya really want them, and are you willing to pay for them? Now the big question, which year and how much... Since used bikes are not created equal, it seems to be easy enough to find one with low miles, but some owners tend to be a little clumsy with their bikes and manage to get a number of scratches on them... scratches you don't see unless the lighting is just right. Then there's the add ons. Cruise control, auxiliary power, sliders, seats, windshields, or as they say, "farkles." I chose an older bike with low miles, ABS, just a couple farkles and a number of little scratches. To me, the low miles, lower price of an 05, and ABS were the big tickets. Personally I would highly recommend the ABS.

Hope that helps...

Gary from Tampa

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the replies. Think I'll go after an 08. Like the looks of the 08 and the 2010-11 are too expensive. Were here any recalls with 08? Someone mentioned an ignition cylinder issue? Anything eles?

thanks.

Yup, 08 needs the ignition recall done. Other than that, the 08 is solid. No outstanding electrical issues. The black looks fabulous but is work to keep clean. Enjoy.

Latest posts