Whats a Farkle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Had to share this gem from my latest issue of MCN. One suggestion is that farkle is a contraction of "function" and "sparkle" enhancing the functionality of a motorcycle and also its appearance, and that the word itself may be an anacronym for Fancy Accessory Really Kool Likely Expensive. Then there is Farklitis.

In my experience, a farkle is a hundred dollars and up.
:lol: Too True (to be funny)

From the FJR Forum 03-05 Bin O' Facts:

Misc.

Eytymology of "Farkle"

Wikipedia Entry

QUOTE The term "farkle" originated in the ST1100 community in the early '90's.

The first time I heard it used there was 1994, when I initially subscribed to the STOC list. Originally, a "farkle" meant most any modification done to your motorcycle to enhance its use to the owner. It didn't originally include the mere act of installing commercially-available accessories like heated grips or Givi bags, but has since come to be generally accepted as either a mod to existing componentry, fabrication of new items, or the installation of commercially-bought accessories.

The term gradually moved to the Long Distance/Endurance Riding community around the mid-'90's, as the ST1100 was a mainstay workhorse in the Endurance Riding scene throughout the 90's (and even to today, quite frankly). Nobody farkles a motorcycle like the Endurance Riding community, because they have unique requirements for modifications to allow them to stay in the saddle for 20 out of 24 hours a day, for 11 continuous days.

Many are under the mistaken impression that the LD community created the term "farkle", but that's incorrect. Regardless, once it hit the LD scene, other bike communities that are main players there (Connies, Wingabagoes, BMW's of various flavors, etc) also started using the term.

In 2002, when the FJR finally hit our shores, many LDRiders (some former ST1100 riders, some not) immediately saw that this bike would be the Next Big Platform for use in the competitive Endurance Riding arena. Thus the term "farkle" immediately became a common term in the FJR community as well.

That's the true, actual history of the term.

- Warchild

Others believe 'farkle', says originated from "Functional" & "Sparkle" in contrast with the cruiser folks just adding "sparkle".

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote some of that - but I don't see it at the link you provided and I can't find the term as it applies to Motorcycles when I search Wikipedia - they seem to have edited it out of the pages that I am finding . . . .

I always heard it as an acronym......

Fancy

Accessory

Really

Kool

Likely

Expensive

F

A

R

K

L