What's not to like?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider

Reaction score
A lot of the below is just me blathering on about me…but to get to the point, I’m looking for all the information about the FJR1300A (2009 models+) that come off as negatives. Mostly considering the ride feel, comfort, and reliability, and other nuances one would not know until they owned one and figured out what they were missing. Not so concerned with hair splitting performance differences like HP, torque…one comment I’ve read is that the bike feels heavy to turn and can’t really be slung around the curves very well. I was able to sit on one and felt the handle bars were a little low, but I have not ridden one yet.

Anyway…

A couple years ago I bought a Honda Shadow cruiser, but before I bought a bike, I did a lot of research into what I felt was important, stuff like reliability, ease of maintenance, and price was a big factor…

But after riding the bike for a while, I just can’t seem to get comfortable and I learned about all the reasons that I don’t like the bike. Sitting back and getting jolted on every bump, feet forward and unable to “stand” and that sort of lack of control, and having to hang on to keep from getting blown off…it is actually more about the riding position than anything else about the bike, but the bike needs tons of stuff like saddle bags, a windshield (don’t really like that look though), and maybe different pegs (floorboards, highway bars…) or other comfort odds-n-ends…plus it is a lot slower than I was expecting.

And then I realize that I could just spend that money on a bike that already has all that. So I’m looking for something else and I think the FJR1300A is the one.

First off, I thought I’d be over my youthful lust for adrenaline, but that isn’t entirely so. I really don’t want a sport bike though because I will be doing more commuting and weekend rides on the twisties or into the city, or other explorations within the state. I might take a long trip here and there and will have a passenger for many of these excursions. I’m also tall (6-2) and just want something more comfortable without my knees jammed up to my elbows or feet out front like I’m water skiing.

Out of all the Sport Touring bikes, the FJR seems to have the right mix of design objectives. Not too soft and big and not just a re-worked sport bike, plus it seems to perform well in a variety of conditions. (I was considering something like a V-Max, but I ‘m thinking that would be just a go-fast-straight sort of bike).

Some history – I started riding dirt off and on as a young teenager a 50, 175 and 185. Then got into the following street bikes, a CB185, 350, 500, 750, XS650, 850 triple, MagnaV45, 65. I liked the Magnas the best probably because they were in the best shape and were more modern…and is probably why I went toward a cruiser. I quit riding for about 6 years after getting pushed off the highway on the Magna – it was no fun playing footsie with a suburban…

Some history – I started riding dirt off and on as a young teenager a 50, 175 and 185. Then got into the following street bikes, a CB185, 350, 500, 750, XS650, 850 triple, MagnaV45, 65. I liked the Magnas the best probably because they were in the best shape and were more modern…and is probably why I went toward a cruiser. I quit riding for about 6 years after getting pushed off the highway on the Magna – it was no fun playing footsie with a suburban…
My last ride was an 84 V65 magna--in 1988. fast forward to 2007 when I bought a 2004 FJR. On this forum, you'll get a bunch of opinions that the FJR is the best bike ever, and if you're an aggressive rider who likes to log miles, maybe that's right.

The bike is great for commuting. It commands respect on the road and has the agility and power to deal with anything. I like that my full face helmet fits in the bag. Plus, it needs very little maintenance.

If I were in to long rides (which I want to be, but work gets in the way), my Magna was more comfortable. (but then I was a lot younger so maybe that was a factor too). I recall a midnight run between Phoenix and San Luis Obispo. Comfortable enough that at one point I caught myself WAKING UP WHILE RIDING ALONG I-10! (love me some 'no doze')

I'm not an aggressive rider (I rarely drag the pegs), and I've been very happy with the bike for how I use it, BUT when I retire and have time to rack up some real miles, I'll buy a gold wing.

Hi rider. Welcome to the forum from sunny So Cal. You will certainly be able to find a wealth of information here. And folks here about will be glad to tell you all about the warts found on the model you're considering.

I'm 6'6" and my 2008A didn't fit too well initially. Too short in the inseam and way leaned over at the handle bars. I believe at 6'2" you will be much better off in the leg department but the lean forward might cause some discomfort. Luckily, there are relatively easy fixes. The seat has two positions (hi/low) and you may well be a hi candidate. I improved my inseam and comfort situation with an aftermarket seat. The bars are still not where I want them and I will need aftermarket HW to bring them up and back about an inch.

For my size, the power on the bike is good...not great but good. There is an abrupt throttle response at low RPM that you will notice initially but will then fade into the background as you learn to compensate. There are simple at-home fixes for that too: barbarian jumper mod & throttle return spring unwind. Both are covered in fine detail with pics here on the site.

The OEM horns really suck. You'll want to change those out before too long.

Expect about 40 mpg.

There are some complaints that the bike runs hot for the rider but I've never had a problem.

Anyway, you'll get plenty more as this expands. Again, welcome.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, Well the bike is it's own worst enemy......

It's so fun to ride, very comfortable; or with proper farkles can be very comfortable, it has ample power, can roll at 80+ mph for 2.5hrs straight without feeling it, and is strong as an ox.

With all the positives, you will want to learn the maintenance schedules in detail and follow all the proven forum techniques of repair and maintenance, because if you don't learn it yourself, you could sink some serious cheddar having someone else do it.

Reason..... It's so darn fun to ride, and the miles just rack up really really fast. It's Maintenance by miles....

All in all , I think that's pretty cool.

Rider, there is not much not to like about the FJR. It doesn't have all the whistles and bells that the latest Concours has, but it pretty much has everything that I want - - adjustable windshield and suspension, excellent sidecases, and big power with great MPG. It handles the twisties very well after you dial-in the suspension. The reliability is legendary with some of the forum members with over 200k on the clock. I haven't noticed any of the rider heat issues with my Gen II that Gen I models supposedly have. Some things that I would like in the Gen III are real-time tire pressure readouts and a six speed trans. There are aftermarket upgrades to move the pegs, improve the windshield, and reposition the handlebars.

Overall, a very nice machine.

Here's my list of things to like:

1. Engine (overall power, broad torque curve, good top end). I love the roll-on power when passing!

2. Handling. The bike is nimble yet stable at high speed. Cornering is good. Getting suspension sorted out provides even more benefits.

3. Fuel capacity. It's great to stop when you want to, rather than be on the lookout every 80 miles or so. Additionally, most people get mileage in the range of 40 to 45 mpg, a few even higher. Max range could easily exceed 270 miles.

4. Shaft drive = no/low maintenance.

5. Color (love the light silver of the 2003).

6. Looks. I think the FJR has the best lines of any sport-tourer on the market.

7. Brakes. My 2003 has got some great stoppers; good power, good feel. I understand the '09/'10 ABS is about as good as there is on the market.

8. Fuel injection. It works pretty well in my opinion.

9. Lights. I like the dual lights up front for increased visibility, plus they have good range. And the rear lighting is large enough for most people to see...increasing safety. (Loud lights save lives ).

10. Dash. The 2003 has good instrumentation for an '03 model; it's even better now.

11. Bags are good, and the bike doesn't look too bad with them off, either. I use the Yamaha trunk and like it.

12. The engine. It's a blast!

13. Price. It's tough to beat the value of the FJR compared to the other offerings in the market. you get a whole lotta bang for the buck!

14. Suspension. It's pretty good in stock form and the adjustability isn't too bad, either.

15. Handles pretty well in cross winds.

16. Wind protection isn't the best on the planet, but it's not the worst either. I use a Yamaha touring w/s with Skyway spacers and like it. And I actually like that the w/s retracts when shut-off.

17. Serviceability. No valve adjustment until 26k, relatively easy oil changes and other DIY stuff.

18. The engine...best feature on the bike!

19. Dealer network (OK, not all are good, but some are and there's lots of choices and good availability when you're traveling).

20. Seat (it's not ideal, but is better than most stock units...I still use mine).

21. Center stand.

22. Weight. OK, it could be lighter, but it's not bad considering the competition.

23. Comes with a pretty knowledgeable and loyal following.

24. Engine. Did I tell you it's a bomb to ride? Power everywhere. Roll-ons are great. A world-class Sport-Tourer!

25. The dang thing is a thrill to ride. I've had only one problem: I get a mile or more away from home and can't get the thing turned around!

A few pans:

1. Gen I's have the dreaded heat problem.

2. Tickers. Mine isn't one of them .

3. Availability. Not much choice on color. The deposit program wasn't very attractive, either. But it's better than it used to be.

4. I'd like a factory option for cruise control.

I'm sold. :thumbsup: YMMV.