What's on your "Garauld"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieefjr

Genlll SS
Reaction score
I have a fondness for soft bags and really dislike tall tail trunks so, I'm curious of what you load on that beautifully engineered Garauld rack?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a RKA passenger tail bag and afix it to my Guarald Rack.

Not sure what the model is but it is their largest bag.

Used it for the past 3 years and am very happy.

Mark

I've got one of these;

universal_helmet.gif

T-Bags :)

I use a camping seat bag from Aerostitch and love it. Comes in three different sizes. I have the medium.
What size is your rack? :p

Seriously, I have the smaller rack and I'm just wondering how the medium camping bag would fit on it.

Oh god... Racks, bags on racks... It's not Friday is it?

I have the big rack...that's right, the big one.

For NAFO, I put the Nelson Riggs CL-150

P1000129.JPG

For SFO I had my Nelson Riggs CL-800 (under the rain cover)

P1030230.JPG

Very versatile rack and the bags are great. I don't think you can go wrong with anyone's recommendation of bag manufacturers. I love my NR bags; I've used the CL800 on flights and it's survived two airlines handling.

I have one of these
CL-150.jpg

a Nelson-Rigg CL-150, which I've modified for semi-quick removal.

I'll try to get a pic shortly to put up.

I use a camping seat bag from Aerostitch and love it. Comes in three different sizes. I have the medium.

Seriously, I have the smaller rack and I'm just wondering how the medium camping bag would fit on it.

I have the large rack. I think the bag would be a tad too large for the small rack, especially when expanded.

I used a T-Bag Dekker for a while on mine before I purchased a Givi box. Complete writeup about it HERE.

PS. It's for sale! (I just haven't gotten around to writing up an ad)

For day trips I have my fully tricked out custom cooler on the rack.

102_3563.jpg

For longer trips I have a nelson rigg bag but I have not used it on this bike yet :D

Hell, I just stuffed a floatsack full of tent, Sleeping bags, Therm a rest, and tarp.

Like this. Walmart. 7 bucks.

Dry gear.... Priceless.

Ok, here's what I've got.

08 FJR with NR 150 tail trunk. I had Garauld paint the tank collar to match and then painted some of the fairing bolts in black satin Krylon

bike.jpg

the parts - NR tail trunk (with side 'wings' removed and sewn up neatly), 1/8" or so ABS plastic, 1/4-20 male knob to fit into to backrest hole, 1/4-20 male and female knobs to attach trunk to rack.

kitParts.jpg

Garauld sport rack - with 4 small "tabs" welded in by Garauld, then I drilled the holes

luggageRack.jpg

plastic sheet on the rack - cut to fit flat on the rack, holes drilled to match up with holes in rack

plasticOnRack.jpg

Attachment method

1) remove top allen bolt from back of Garauld backrest

2) lay plastic sheet on luggage rack - plastic provides stiffness so the bag doesn't droop

3) put tail trunk on plastic sheet

4) run 2 male knobs through tail trunk (holes already made), through plastic sheet, through holes in metal tabs, attach 2 male knobs that are placed under the luggage rack

5) run 1 male knob through tail trunk (hole already made) into top hole in the backrest

Done.

I've only ridden a few miles so this isn't really tested. My only worry is that the female attachment knobs under the rack might vibrate off.

As I'd prefer to not run the backrest all the time, my next task is to combine the trunk and backrest into 1, so that I attach the backrest automatically when I attach the trunk. But I think that'd take mods to the rack.

I ought the large bag and found it most comfortable mounting it longitudinally across the passenger seat and the Garauld rack. Worked well.

Latest posts