What's the right bike for former pillion?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKO

Reaction score
My backseat driver for 34 years has decided she'd like to ride her own bike again. That's right, she started riding a Honda 360 in 1974 briefly, but had a close-call scare and hasn't driven since. She is going to enroll in a MSF course where they use Rebel 250's, but we're looking for recommendations on a bike that can pass on the highway, is comfortable without being too heavy or intimidating. Oh yeah, she's 5'2" and has about a 28" inseam. She used to tiptoe the 360 around and I'll guess the seat height on that thing was about 30" - 31".

I think she is going to have to settle on a cruiser to get the 27"-28" seat height she needs, but I'm open to suggestions. She has expressed interest in the Honda Shadow 750 and VLX 600, Yamaha V-Star 650 and Kawasaki Vulcan 800. They all have the low seat height, but I wonder about the power to pass on the highway.

Does anybody have first-hand experience riding any of these bikes?

Are there other models we sould be considering that might fit the bill? It would be great to find a comfortable UJM standard with performance and a 27" seat height, but I don't think they exist.

Thanks for the help!

Mike & Debbie

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Honda Shadow 750 and loved it. Had all the power I needed to do anything and go anywhere I wanted. Get the engine guards put on if you do get it... saves a lot of huffing and puffing should she have a tip over. ;)

Also, here's a link to a site that has all kinds of info on bikes for varied height riders. Might give her some more ideas!

https://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycles_for_short_riders.htm

My wife has a VTX 1300 R, we put a Ulitmate lowrider seat on it and pull backs. She can reach the bars and ground easy. I think the bike is boring compared to my wing or FJR but she could never ride either of those.

There are a number of people who tour using the "middleweight" bikes. The 750-800cc machines are very capable of running the highways and mountains with saddlebags loaded.

I know a couple of people with 650s who say they are a bit "breathless" passing on the highway but like them for a back-road bike (sub-70mph cruising speed).

I am not sure of the seat height, but a Suzuki V-Strom DL650 would be a perfect compliment to an FJR. I am thinking about buying one as an addition to the family.

t

my wife currently rides a vstar 1100. She wasn't sure about the engine size, but a test ride allayed those fears.

I am not sure of the seat height, but a Suzuki V-Strom DL650 would be a perfect compliment to an FJR. I am thinking about buying one as an addition to the family.
t
I had a DL1000 V-Strom and the seat height was about 34". I think the 650 is up there too, but I heard its a great bike. I wish Suzuki would put the great motor in a bike with 27" saddle. That would be perfect.

my wife currently rides a vstar 1100. She wasn't sure about the engine size, but a test ride allayed those fears.
How tall is she?

I had a Honda Shadow 750 and loved it. Had all the power I needed to do anything and go anywhere I wanted. Get the engine guards put on if you do get it... saves a lot of huffing and puffing should she have a tip over. ;)
Also, here's a link to a site that has all kinds of info on bikes for varied height riders. Might give her some more ideas!

https://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycles_for_short_riders.htm
Tyler:

Thanks for the link. That's a great site!

Debbie

Mike and Debbie, it's not just the seat HEIGHT, but the shape of the seat too. A narrow seat allows the legs to come down straighter than a wider seat, giving a better reach.

I'm 5'2" with a 26" inseam. I can almost flat foot the Rebels and Eliminators that the MSF use, but not quite. My re-entry bike was a VStar 650, then the 1100. Either of those bikes would be great for your wife. May I suggest looking for a used one rather than new? especially if she prefers the 650. As her confidence grows, she may want to go to the bigger bike. However, the smaller and lighter the beginner bike, the faster that confidence builds. Once she feels comfortable, watch your FJR. She could well fancy riding that. It is possible for us little people to ride bigger bikes. :) Another suggestion, for after the initial confidence is built, is the Ninja 650R. She wouldn't be able to flat foot it, but it only weights about 400lbs and is a very easy bike to ride yet still has some guts. I'm on the points of my toes, with the stock seat but with the weight distribution, it's no big deal (i.e. it's not as top heavy as the FJR). One of the nice things is the upright seating position.

May I suggest a field trip to the biggest dealership you can find, and let Debbie sit on and get the feel of as many bikes as possible.

Jill

Mike and Debbie, it's not just the seat HEIGHT, but the shape of the seat too. A narrow seat allows the legs to come down straighter than a wider seat, giving a better reach.
I'm 5'2" with a 26" inseam. I can almost flat foot the Rebels and Eliminators that the MSF use, but not quite. My re-entry bike was a VStar 650, then the 1100. Either of those bikes would be great for your wife. May I suggest looking for a used one rather than new? especially if she prefers the 650. As her confidence grows, she may want to go to the bigger bike. However, the smaller and lighter the beginner bike, the faster that confidence builds. Once she feels comfortable, watch your FJR. She could well fancy riding that. It is possible for us little people to ride bigger bikes. :) Another suggestion, for after the initial confidence is built, is the Ninja 650R. She wouldn't be able to flat foot it, but it only weights about 400lbs and is a very easy bike to ride yet still has some guts. I'm on the points of my toes, with the stock seat but with the weight distribution, it's no big deal (i.e. it's not as top heavy as the FJR). One of the nice things is the upright seating position.

May I suggest a field trip to the biggest dealership you can find, and let Debbie sit on and get the feel of as many bikes as possible.

Jill
Jill:

Great advice! Thanks.

We looked at a used V-Star 650 yesterday. It seemed way under powered for the highway. It was pretty much outta breath at 75 MPH. We do plan to visit a large dealer today and try on some other models.

Triumph Bonneville T-100. I have recently heard from a woman who bought a Suzuki Burgman 650 and loves it. She told me her Honda VTX has been sitting in the garage ever since she got the Burgman. I've ridden both and owned one. The T-100 is an excellent bike for shorter riders, and with some Hepco Becker luggage and a windscreen is capable of cross country touring.

Great advice! Thanks. We looked at a used V-Star 650 yesterday. It seemed way under powered for the highway. It was pretty much outta breath at 75 MPH. We do plan to visit a large dealer today and try on some other models.
There isn't much difference in the handling between the 650 and the 1100. I was nervous moving up, especially since I traded the 650 at an dealer about 50 miles from home. I had the length of the parking lot to learn to ride the 1100, then face heavy traffic for the ride home. It was no problem at all. In just over a year, I put 18K miles on my 1100 and that was with the stock seat too! Does that tell you how much I liked the bike? It was only displaced from our garage when the FJR arrived.

The 650 will keep up with traffic but it works hard to do so. The 1100 does it with ease. Other benefits are that the 1100 has a twin disc brake on the front whereas the 650 has a single. That makes a big difference. Another thing, which may or may not have changed, is that the choke on the 1100 is on the bars and easy for a beginner to find and use. The 650 choke is hidden away in a place that's difficult for a newbie to reach, on the fly.

Do let us know what she chooses, and her reasons why that bike was the best for her.

Jill

My backseat driver for 34 years has decided she'd like to ride her own bike again. That's right, she started riding a Honda 360 in 1974 briefly, but had a close-call scare and hasn't driven since. She is going to enroll in a MSF course where they use Rebel 250's, but we're looking for recommendations on a bike that can pass on the highway, is comfortable without being too heavy or intimidating. Oh yeah, she's 5'2" and has about a 28" inseam. She used to tiptoe the 360 around and I'll guess the seat height on that thing was about 30" - 31".
I think she is going to have to settle on a cruiser to get the 27"-28" seat height she needs, but I'm open to suggestions. She has expressed interest in the Honda Shadow 750 and VLX 600, Yamaha V-Star 650 and Kawasaki Vulcan 800. They all have the low seat height, but I wonder about the power to pass on the highway.

Does anybody have first-hand experience riding any of these bikes?

Are there other models we sould be considering that might fit the bill? It would be great to find a comfortable UJM standard with performance and a 27" seat height, but I don't think they exist.

Thanks for the help!

Mike & Debbie
Some other suggestiois from and inseam challenged rider.....29-31" depending on which boots I'm wearing...(ok, I' have about 6 paiirs of boots!)

Cruisers.... Triumph Speedmaster or America but she'll need a different seat. Low seat height but forward controls.

the sportbikes can all be lowered, not hard to do. Shorter Progressive front springs and lowering links in the rear, and shave the seat (cheaper than a lower factory seat. the Triumph Sprint ST, Suzuki Bandit and a few others are on my list.

I had an FJR, it was lowered enuf, but just to top heavy for me to want to wrestle with.

The bike that fits me perfectly.... low factory suspension, and extra low seat ,is the BMW F800ST. 85 HP. Light and flickable.

That's way more HP than my Harley Softail Deuce, which is a cruiser and low. But I'm selling it because I like the sportbike riding style better and want real fairings, not just a windshield. Short distances no problem, but after 8 or 9 hours, a fairing is much better.

Just have her go and sit on a ton of bikes. Both cruisers and "standards" Clipon bars (low) on the sportbikes, regular looking handlebars on the standards.

the Honda VLX 600 is a nice beginner bike, but it only has 4 gears and some folks outgrow it quickly. But a used one is good to learn on.

Have fun shopping!

Mary

Taught the neighbor & friend down the street to ride a few years ago. She started on the small 250 cc Suz. She has a short inseam & after about 10K miles she moved up to the Kaw. Vulcan 800. Since it is a cruiser it has a low seat height. I think it runs about 48 hp or so. On normal riding trips she keeps up fine. It will run fine at Interstate speeds. The weight (not sure how much) is relatively low (low cg). I think the later models are now 900 cc. It's not a Sport, or Sport-tourer but rather a laid back cruiser. I have no doubt she would buy it again. Best of luck. Ron

After owning one, and being inseam challenged, I would suggest if you can find one in good shape (they stopped making them in 06) is a Vulcan 750. Add a corbin seat and you will be right around that 27 inch seat height.

Shaft drive, full instrumentation, alloy wheels, duel discs up front, and alot of get up and go. I was clocked doing 112 mph on one so they can move along..........

KM

Tyler:
Thanks for the link. That's a great site!

Debbie
Hi Debbie:

Yeah, I thought was a great resource for riders of all types! I'm gonna throw one more possiblity at you... I recently purchased an '01 SV650 and this weekend got to take it out and get frisky with in on a weekend trip to Calistoga. Not sure if you're really set on the cruiser models but this standard model is a HOOT to ride!! Light, nimble, no problem with any of the roads we traversed this weekend - twisty, goaty, freeway, you name it. It has been lowered and I easily flat foot it (I'm 5'7" but I think someone shorter than I could ride this bike no problemo)... make a list of the styles/bikes that interest you... go to the dealers and sit on them in the showroom (try to hang out on them for several minutes to see how comfortable the sitting position is)... what's right for one may not be right for another so take your time and find what is the best for YOU!! :)

My wife is about the same height as yours. She had a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 that she loved. It had lots of power and kept up just fine. It was light and easy to handle. Remember if you get a small v-twin (500 or smaller) most of them are really gonna hurt for enough power to maintain highway speeds. Kawasaki is now making the Vulcan 900 Custom which has a low seat and forward pegs, and I think is fuel injected. I also hear that the Honda Shadow 750's are a hard deal to beat. Also depending on how much $$$ you wanna spend, Victory now makes a Vegas Low, which is supposed to be a really nice bike with a 100ci fuel injected V-twin. They are heavier overall, but the Victories feel lighter than they are. Good luck.

Thanks for everyone's input. Debbie went to the dealer and thought the Honda Shadow Aero 750 felt the best, but now is considering the 1100 Sabre with a 27" seat height. She is concerned that she will not be able to make safe passes on the highway with the 38 hp 750. Honda has discontinued the 1100 Shadows so there are some good deals around.

Any inseam challenged riders have first hand experience on a 1100 Sabre? How are the ergos? Any problem reaching the forward controls or the ground comfortably?

If a non-cruiser is considered I would suggest taking a look at the SV-650. Not the 'S' model, its sportier position is not comfy for anything other than spirited riding. The standard model can be dropped with links and raising the forks in the clamps to about the same height as cruiser seats. the bike is light with a low CG and handles great. A friend of mine lowered one for his former wife, she was maybe 4' 10" and maybe 85 lbs and could handle the SV at both low and high speeds. Sliders as always are a good hedge against parking lot drops on these.

Make sure you take a look at the Suzuki C-50. Has good power for a mid-sized bike and it looks much bigger than it is. I don't think she will outgrow it as fast as some of the other models.