What's the right bike for former pillion?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is about the same physical size as yours and had the same problem with a Honda 350. She tried various other bikes, but was not happy with them. She quit riding for many years and only started back when I lowered my Sporster 1200 2 inches. She now rides a Suzuki VS800 Intruder and thinks it is the greatest bike she has had or ridden. You might look at them. The VS800 series is the same as the newer C50 models and very reasonable on price. Buy a nice used one, let her get confident on it. You can probably sell it for what you gave in a year or so in the event she wants a larger bike.

Gotta cast a vote for my last bike, Suzuka VL800 "Volusia." For some reason they keep changing the name; the following year it was the C-50 and then the "Boulevard," or vice-versa. My '03 carried me all over the west last spring, Yellowstone to the Grand Canyon, plenty of power, comfortable, low enough too. Met up with a couple from Arkansas in Zion N.P. on a Gold Wing (him) and an identical Suzuki to mine for her--she loved hers. Another one to look at.

my mom did the yamaha vstar 650 back in 2001 when we got our licenses together. beautiful platinum color. now i wish i woulda tried it out. she couldn't get used to the foot forward controls. and then she had a surgery that ended her riding that bike that year.

next season she got a honda reflex, bright freakin yellow. needless to say, everyone knows her in town. my scooter momma. i hope your wife doesn't have to go there. take her to the bike show and try them all. that's how we both found our first rides. 7 years this month later, she's still scootin around Fairmont.

i personally would recommend an FZ-6.

I'll throw in my couple o'pennies. 900 Vulcan classic. It comes in a touring package that includes a windshield, saddlebags, front and rear disc brakes, and I believe it has a more comfortable touring seat. I had an 800 and they make plent of power for the highway, I put 14K on mine in a couple years.

Whichever one she gets she'll want to make three mods; 1) a seat, I vote for Mustang (I wish they made one for the FJR) 2) a wind shield, National Cycle has good prices and are easy to install 3) pipes and a re-jet kit, the stock pipes tend to choke off the air a bit. New pipes (with a re-jet) will make a little more power, more responsive throttle and the bike will warm up a LOT quicker.

Good luck, hope she's happy for years to come with her new bike! :yahoo:

Thanks for everyone's input. Debbie went to the dealer and thought the Honda Shadow Aero 750 felt the best, but now is considering the 1100 Sabre with a 27" seat height. She is concerned that she will not be able to make safe passes on the highway with the 38 hp 750.
FYI, I had a Honda Shadow 750 and had no issues whatsoever with freeway riding. :)

If a non-cruiser is considered I would suggest taking a look at the SV-650. Not the 'S' model, its sportier position is not comfy for anything other than spirited riding. The standard model can be dropped with links and raising the forks in the clamps to about the same height as cruiser seats. the bike is light with a low CG and handles great. A friend of mine lowered one for his former wife, she was maybe 4' 10" and maybe 85 lbs and could handle the SV at both low and high speeds. Sliders as always are a good hedge against parking lot drops on these.
Having just traded my c50 in for my 08 FJR, this is definately a greate bike to start with and will last her a good long time. My Girlfrind in also only 5'2" and rides a v-start 650. She's tired of the power and screaming engine at highway speeds. I fear that you 'll have the same issue within the next year on the Honda 750. Also look at teh Vulcan 900. This came out the years after my bully and it was more comfortable of a seat than the bully, but i never rode it.