what's the riser limit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm 5' 8" and I already have a set of riders on the bike now. problem is that I still have to hug the tank if I want to try and sit straight up. I will one day buy a russell seat and would like to sit further from the tank.

What is the limit for raising and bringing the bars back? I know I could stack risers which I believe would require new brakelines and possibly wires. But what about actually bringing them rearward? I would like to move them about another inch up and maybe 2-3 inches back.

James

These should get them back far enough for ya...

wo571.jpg

;)

what a concept, FJR ape hangers, then you think we can hang w/the Hardly crowd?

tsitalon1-sorry man, I dont have a answer for you. I have a set of heli bar back risers, they are about 1-1/2" up and about 1"back. I'm thinking about taking them off, they seem to put me more in the wind, so now I need a bigger shield, it's like these farkle things feed off themselves. Stacking does not sound real safe to me but then again I aint the brightest mechanic on the block, maybe Radman or someone else will chime in and be of some help. Good luck!!!!!!!!

tsitalon1-sorry man, I dont have a answer for you. I have a set of heli bar back risers, they are about 1-1/2" up and about 1"back. I'm thinking about taking them off, they seem to put me more in the wind, so now I need a bigger shield, it's like these farkle things feed off themselves. Stacking does not sound real safe to me but then again I aint the brightest mechanic on the block, maybe Radman or someone else will chime in and be of some help. Good luck!!!!!!!!
Maybe I'll try stretching my self a few inches :D

donaldb: whats up with the Avatar?

James

James
local trend lately seems to be pic's of significantly better halfs, I just hopped on the wagon to ride a little while

James
local trend lately seems to be pic's of significantly better halfs, I just hopped on the wagon to ride a little while
I can play too then? :D

I know everybody seems to think that raising the bars and trying to make the FJR into a cruiser is going to help but I never had any luck. It's bad enough they put snowmobile bars on a sport bike in the first place but everything about risers makes things worse. For me anyway. So I went the other way. Here it is again:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...ower+handlebars

BTW Love the new avatar Radman!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, who woulda thought Mrs. Radman would be caught on film stealing two watermelons from the produce department.... :blink: :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Inch ana half is about max with a refabbed clutch line clamp. Lottsa of give in the brake lines, not so much in the clutch line.

i started with lenkers so i could pull them back to suit me, but still wanted to go higher so i stacked hellys on the lenkers. this allowed me to push the bars back to the stock angle. i'm up almost "2 and back about "1. it works well for me. when i had just the lenkers pulled back, i found that it slowed down the steering considerably.

derek

I have seen 1 FJR with double stacked risers. IMO the stock rubber lines were bordering on dangerous as to how tight they were pulled. Funny thing is that when I questioned the owner about it he just laughed it off as "what are you talking about, their fine." All the while he was 2-up with his SO. Good luck my friend and happy trails. :p

There really is not much more available without the need for longer throttle cables as well. As noted above, would not recommend without longer brake/clutch lines.

Hey Evil,, I simply must have a set of those clip ons for my 06. I to prefer to be stretched out. Does any one know if the fork tubes are the same size for 06?. bete.

Hey Evil,, I simply must have a set of those clip ons for my 06. I to prefer to be stretched out. Does any one know if the fork tubes are the same size for 06?. bete.
Bete,

Since there apparently have been some changes to the bars for 06 there's more than the fork tube diameter to consider I'm afraid. The right bar has 3 "dimples" that fit locating tabs on the throttle housing (1) and power switch(2). The left bar has one dimple that fits a tab on the light switch housing. This is the case for all years up to 05.

Short of disassembling the bar components and looking, you could see if the part numbers for the components match previous years. You'll probably be ok if they do.

Anybody have an 05 and an 06 they can look at side by side?

i started with lenkers so i could pull them back to suit me, but still wanted to go higher so i stacked hellys on the lenkers. this allowed me to push the bars back to the stock angle. i'm up almost "2 and back about "1. it works well for me. when i had just the lenkers pulled back, i found that it slowed down the steering considerably.
derek
Derek, How much tension was on you lines (brake/clutch/throttle/wires)? Did it make things more comfortable for you? How tall are you? what's your inseam? Do you use a stock seat? what year fjr do you have?

James