What's the Weather like where YOU are today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow all day and cold. 14° F  this morning pushing 26°F  now snow rapping up not much 2-3" .

Last weekend nice low 60's  road a few miles. 

Well I woke up to about 3" of snow. Had my coffee then played wit the shovel for awhile.

Should get to about 40 today.

Not even bothering with it for now.  Snowed quite a bit overnight and expect to get up to a foot of snow before it is over.  Hanging out at home and will wait until it is mostly done and the snowplows have done their thing before I go out to clear it.  Plow will leave a 3' (or more) bank at the end of the driveway.  Not windy so drifting won't be a big issue.

Just happy I don't live on the east coast of Newfoundland.  They are still digging out from almost three feet of snow (75-90 cm) combined with winds gusting up to 100 mph (160 km/hr).  Described as a blizzard in a hurricane.  (They are getting another (smaller) dump tonight.)

Have a look at some of these photos...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/newfoundland-blizzard-photos-1.5432138

We saw that funny shiny thing in the sky today. It warmed up enough that all the snow slid off the garage so now I need to fire up the tractor so I can get the truck out in the morning. The weather clown says snow again by Tuesday.

It has been a crappy year for snow in New England.  Most storms have been the wet slush or rain on top of snow.  We finally got a half foot of dry snow on Saturday, what a pleasure that is.  Quick to clean up, and easy to drive in except where they spread all the salt around to make more slush.  

Helped my son get a new snowblower for his 1/3 mile shared “driveway” in Vermont.  I picked it up at the freight terminal in New Hampshire (tax free, yo!) and drove it up in my pickup.  We got it hitched up and running yesterday.  Here’s a crappy cell phone video of the beast in action:

https://youtu.be/v8FvxzrnAbM

SB60 - 5 foot wide means 2 to 3 passes and it’s done, and none of the bank buildup problem you have with a snow plow.  As you can see, everything goes pretty far into the woods.

I have a similar set up on my tractor. It's a 72 inch version. Clearing a 6 foot swath in one pass is great. My problem is with my screwed up neck and back I can't turn around so I have gotten pretty good with mirrors. Ended up with heated semi mirrors on the sides and a 150 degree forklift mirror inside the roof.

6' wide would have been great.  Two passes and you're done.  But his tractor is only a 26 HP Kubota.  The weight of the 5 foot blower was enough for that little guy.  A lot of people go with the front blower off the mid PTO, but that requires removing the Front End Loader.  They need that on as the horses don't quit making manure in the winter months.  So a rear mount PTO was the only option.  He's still young, so he can crane his neck around still for a few more years.  ;)

I was really happy with the attachment and price.  It was from WoodMaxx, which is an outfit in Buffalo NY, which as you probably know is an area that knows a little bit about clearing snow.  That lake effect is relentless out there.  

The rule of thumb for blowers is 4-5 hp per foot and that 26 hp Kubota probably has around 20 + on the PTO so you have all the blower it's going to like. My New Holland is rated at 35 hp and 29 hp on the PTO. I wanted a front mount but it's three times the money for something that only gets occasional use and I paid 2600.00 for the one I have. If I was doing it for dollars I would have  front mount along with a heated cab with tunes but for now the mirrors work fine. :punk:

49424980203_220c5a1a8b_o.jpg

Two or three days in a row of overnight below-freezing temps. Actual warnings in south Florida for falling Iguanas! They get cold, lose their grip, and fall from the trees; it's raining reptiles!!!!

The ground hog is full of shit. Woke up to 6 inches of white shit this morning. Supposed to be on and off all week. The Gerbing jacket works on the tractor also.  Maybe the snow will keep the virus away.

Currently -21c with windchill, and some of that fluffy white sunshine is once again falling like manna from heaven.

Well, maybe NOT manna from heaven 😭

California's looking better every year... 

Rain, wind and snow flurries with temperatures just above freezing. At least the snow isn't accumulating. Maybe better Saturday or Sunday? 

Been a while, but the sunshine, warm temps, low fuel prices and no traffic are all good things.  I was glad to get out in the sun today and get away from all the negativity of Coronavirus.  Pennsylvania has the highest fuel tax in the country, but I filled p at $1.89.  I could have saved another 40 cents going to Ohio, but I'm okay at this discount.

Four days of 55 degrees after lows of 35+-.  Darn rain finally stopped and blue revisited the skies.  Some meathead forecast plowable snow around Friday.....I think not.  Cold, no, make that seasonable, morning weather still lends to fresh air commutes 40 miles.