What's your Feejer Gear ATGATT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shark RSI Alien Helmet

Aerostich Roadcrafter

First Gear Scout Jack and Pants

Joe Rocket Boots

Held Gloves (Airstream, Warm and Dry and Phantoms)

Custom ear plugs

Funny thread....considering a GPS and other non-wear materials as ATGATT elicited a smile.

Arai or Nolan helmet

Sidi boots (Gore-Tex Rains or Vertebrae Air or Vertebrae Gore-Tex)

RevIt Cayenne Pro or 2-piece Roadcrafter or Vanson leathers)

A* GP Tech or A* winter Gore-Tex or Marsee gloves

Mighty Plugs earplugs

I'm German...so I don't "take a dump without a plan"...this line is stolen from The Hunt for Red October with the reference to the Russian...but we all know it does not apply to Russians, it applies to Germans. The Russians "Don't take a dump without 24 rolls of toilet paper" which, while accurate reflects a completely different mindset...but I digress.

My gear choices are based on one priority: When I have that "oh, ****...this is not going to end well" moment what will I WISH I had been wearing?

Given the reality of riding on the street, and that there will be some crashes where it doesn't matter what you are wearing, the answer, after literally YEARS of research is, from head to toe:

1. Shoei RF1200 helmet

2. Motoport Ultra II Air-Mesh Kevlar jacket

3. Motoport Kevlar Race gloves

4. Motoport Air-Mesh Kevlar pants

5. Sidi On Road boots

In cold/wet weather, I wear REI waterproof/windproof apparel UNDER the motoport gear. It has never failed me.

I VERY cold weather, heated liners are tucked UNDER the REI gear.

I just don't want my last conscious thought to be "wish I'd bought better gear..."

When I wake up in another location (hospital or here-after) I'd like to be certain I did all I could.

There is no gear on the planet which will accommodate poor decisions...like riding a brand new bike to work for a night shift and leaving work tired in sub-freezing road conditions.

YMMV...

LS2 Modular helmet in pearl white w/Pinlock visor/insert as needed. $169.99 replaced a Shoei Multitech)

The LS2 really fits an oval head and is a feature rich, quality helmet, if lacking in interior high level cloth to match. For the price, I'm ok with it. Outside, it could be a Shoei or Arai, inside a bit less than that quality level.
53302_5.jpg

Klim Lattitude Misano Jacket in gray. $479 Really water proof. Cut like the Darien, but with longer sleeves. I may go back to the Darien when I wear this out.
2013-klim-latitude-misano-jacket-light-grey-mcss.jpg

Olympia X Moto pants $134.99 On Closeout Sale!

X002.jpg

Fantastic vent panels for the legs. Very water resistant, even more so after a good coating of Scotchguard or similar.

LDComfort shorts. $44.94 They work. No seams in bad places.
MShortFront_300.JPG

LDComfort long sleeve zip neck top $55.00 Awesome for people that hate turtle neck or mock turtle neck shirts, and the cooling procedure works very, very well if you follow it correctly.
Shirt.gif

Drymax socks $10 Good, but not sold on being better than plain cotton.
drymaxcrew.jpg

Garnae G-Midland boots $379.99 (replaced X-Five/Oxtar Matrix (wore out a pair, got another w/new name, upgraded for ADV use) Great support and protection. Up a couple of notches from a touring boot. Water Proof! Reasonably priced. Re-sole-able if need be. All day comfort, walking or riding.
gae_15_boo_gmid-blk.jpg

1. Shoei RF1200 helmet
2. Motoport Ultra II Air-Mesh Kevlar jacket

3. Motoport Kevlar Race gloves

4. Motoport Air-Mesh Kevlar pants

5. Sidi On Road boots
Good choice on the Motoport gear. My wife (who rides her own rides) has a set, and has been hinting about a Christmas present for me.

Nolan N104 and Shoei

Wiley-X Armored Gloves or Insulated leather gloves

Unknown brand neck gaiter

ever-present bandanas as helmet liners

Taylor's Leather Inc. of Tullahoma, TN police motor jacket w/ removeable fur collar and insulated liner

Belstaff riding jacket

5.11 hi-viz patrol overjacket

Frogg Togg's rainpants

First Gear insulated winter overpants (for below 40 degrees)

Danner acadia desert, goretex leather, and insulated goretex leather, dependent upon conditions

silocon ear buds with an ipod or iphone, or foam plugs and hook earbuds

Schuberth C3 Pro helmet

Olympia Dakar jacket

Held Evo Thrux gloves

jeans and Redwing boots till i find something else i want to wear

i have some frogg toggs for when it's raining

Haven't read through the list so don't kill me if I'm out of sequence. I ride in Seattle all year....

- Dickies jeans, self modified with ass and knees with 3 mil neoprene wrapped with kevlar. Jeans sealed with Otter seal or some such hippy beeswax mixed with acetone and pine sap.

- HJC modular helmet with Q3 and boom mic. I've got a big f*cking head clausterphobia so I had to have modular first. Also with the pull down shades.

- Danner work boots looks like tall timberlands. Lost a grommet, need to go in.

- Always tucked t-shirt.

- Samsung S5 & lots of nerd options (discuss eventually in another thread)

- 17 lb padded thick ass leather jacket or cycle gear jacket + helly hanson non-breathable waterproofs if it's raining and I"m not moving.

- decent cold waterproof gloves

- hippo hands.

- those aussie hand guards

- PINLOCKS

First off, sure whatever helmet safety... I learned long ago that with my big fucking head, buy something that first first and doesn't cut your ears or choke you cause you can't get the chin strap on. By big head I mean 7 7/8ths baseball cap. Also my jaw hits every chin bar, I've got a jay leno chin. So I went with a HCJ BT3 or whatever because it fit and it was modular. Also you're suppposed to replace helmets every N years due to foam degredation so...

Second off I got a modular due to my need to puke or spit in the morning, claustrophobia, and to scare kids in the super market. Also cause I need to see peripherally at low speeds (eg parking garages). But the benefit was that the bt 95xtreme j++ came with a pinlock shield. I've got to say pinlocks are badass. They work better than a good ski googgle when you're cold, likely due to you not breathing as hard. But I have many times gotten on the bike at 10F and the non-pinlock area is fogged and I can see fine. It also sucks when you mess up the pinlock and you are breathing directly into the double lens... but i digress.

As for jeans I'm going to assume y'all aint tough enought to wrangle a real sewing machine through jeans kevlar and neoprene. you need a good one. I ate up my wife's singer she used growing up very quickly and bought a "more capable used" bernina for around $700. It's like a porche except that it goes offroad. Anyway... I finished 2 pair on my first try watching Django Unchained and the one pair has held up quite well. They're acually super comfortable work jeans I wear to welding class and to work at a tech company. If there's interest I'd be happy to explain more. The wax treatment gets them so that they may be wet on the outside and cool feeling but the water doesn't penetrate. It's an older form of waterproofing from the 1800/1900s but it works quite well while adding around 8oz to the weight.

For boots any good work boots will work well and are generally waterproof and don't look as weird at work in my opinion.

I tuck my t-shirt cause my lower back gets cold under the thick jacket at 38 degrees and 80 mph.

asdf

Sad to say hippo hands is out of business but after a slight learning curve I can say I haven't seen my controls in 5 months and my gloves are never wet. in fact the only thing that matters is the wrist gauntlet coverage with them. highly recommended for any adverse weather riders but you do need a brush guard to keep the fabric out of your controls. If you can't find a good hippo hands replacement let me know, I might be able to approximate them for around the same price.

Electronics wise I've got a Q3 + in helmet earphones + boom mic. Does a great job with taking calls. Can listen to podcasts and goes to radio easily when the phone fucks up. I"m working on automating a bunch of stuff and may write an article on that.

That's what I got. Been working well for a year in Seattle.

Shure 215K monitors are the best thing I've added in a long time (thanks Twigg). When they wear out, I might try in-helmet, but I'm pretty happy with these. After years of wearing leather motor patrol jackets when it's below 75 degrees, I tried my first textile jacket (if you don't count my old Belstaff). It's totally new to me to hit rain and not have to pull over and put a raincoat on over the leather. I think I'm hooked.

Shure 215K monitors are the best thing I've added in a long time (thanks Twigg). When they wear out, I might try in-helmet, but I'm pretty happy with these. After years of wearing leather motor patrol jackets when it's below 75 degrees, I tried my first textile jacket (if you don't count my old Belstaff). It's totally new to me to hit rain and not have to pull over and put a raincoat on over the leather. I think I'm hooked.
on my noisy olde honda shadow I just did the moulded ear plug thing with embedded headphones. Works well, gives great noise reduction.

Latest posts