What's your opinion on Cold Weather Gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
I am starting my research on Cold Weather Gear and would like to find out what the masses are using. I would really like to use my bike as a year round commuter but realize also there will be a few snow days where I won't be able to make it to work because of weather. The other day I was coming home from work and it was 40 degrees and the wind was howling. I found my neck, head, hands and basically everywhere was freezing. I had liners in my pants and jacket but everything else was miserable. Only gloves I own have perforated holes in them to keep them cool in the summer. So I would like to invest in some winter riding gear but wonder if the need for heated gear is really nessasary? But then again on the other hand I don't want to throw all this money into some gear then wish I would have bought the heated gear. So what are the pro's vs. cons that some of you already have. Hopefully I can hear some of your opinions and make a more informed decision. Also I know it seems Gerbring make's the best heated stuff but what about my neck and head? What do yo do to keep them toasty? Sorry for all the newb questions but this is my first season riding in the cold.

Also let me say that the temps I will be commuting in will be between 15-40 degrees. Also any other cold weather tips you may want to add will be greatly appreciated....

How long is your commute each way?

I think you may find that you might be able to use your existing gear (depending on what it is and probably not the mesh gloves (I hope they at least have fingers :D )) with the addition of heated gear.

Check Warm-N-Safe for heated gear also.

I wear Belstaff gear most of the time as I find it the warmest and most water proof of anything I've ever tried.

Basically, it all boils down to personal preference though.

My experience

Heated grips + winter gloves + Aerostitch Roadcrafter + sweatshirt = 30 Deg for extended periods. My toes do get cold.

Heated grips + winter gloves + Motoport Kevlar + liners = 30 Deg for extended periods. My toes still get cold.

I've considered a full sleeved jacket type heated vest, but I've yet to feel the real need. I don't like to ride under 30 Deg anyway since there's a fear of ice.

I have a heated vest that I use both summer & winter. Summer under my Joe Rocket coat & winter under my First Gear TPG coat. My buddies call my vest a toast master 2000 but in fact it's a Tourmaster synergy vest with controls that strap to my leg for easy control access. Seem if I can keep my trunk temp up the rest of the body does fine.

Also have Yamaha heated grips [thanks to a Alaska FJR owner that bought but didn't use]. I wear summer gloves most of the time. But I'm thinking about putting Veestrom hand guards to keep the water off the gloves in the rainy winter months.

I'm going through the same thing, LACOFD. I tried some winter gloves and they just didn't do it for me (42-degree mornings). I think I'm going to take the plunge for a Heat Troller and First Gear/Warm 'n Safe gloves and eventually jacket liner. My new Olympia AST jacket is fantastic and, so far, I'm not feeling the chill in the upper body. Of course, the V-Stream is also helping.

Synergy carbon fiber element technology all the way. Light, easy to roll up, not bulky, low power consumption per unit of heat...

Time means more than temp in most conditions. You can do 45 mins. in very cold temps and regular winter gear. As you approach one hour at highway speeds nothing non-electrified makes up for the heat loss.

Try some of the disposable heat pads made for body aches and you'll get an idea of what heated gear will do for you and where it makes the most difference.

This is what I use. I ride 2 hours to work when I go to the office and the temps can down into the mid 30s.

1. Heated Vest - I would get full sleeves if I was going to be out in colder temps for a longer time. The vest works great and my arms don't get cold. The vest should also have a collar that zips up and is heated too. The heated collar combined with #7 work wonderfully.

2. Tourmaster Transition 2 Jacket with liner

3. First Gear Over pants with the liner in and the knee pads out.

4. Winter gloves for the really cold days but mostly just regular non perforated alpine stars shortee gloves.

5. Alpine Stars cheapo motorcycle boots (got them at cycle gear.) They are not much to look at but will keep your feet warm and dry.

6. Heated Grips

7. Balaclava - get a good one or get the Turtle fur. I have both and they keep your neck nice and warm.

If you have the money a stich is nice too.

My 2 cents

I wear the Olympia AirGlide II tops and bottoms. They keep me very warm down below 40F. If I get chilly or uncomfortable, I wear an extra warmer layer underneath. My only heated installation is heated grips and Vstrom hand guards, but I have extremely sensitive hands to the cold.

05 FJR with factory windshield

I ride as long as the road is clear -- last year garaged the bike first weekend of December 07 and back on the road the first weekend in February 08

I am starting my research on Cold Weather Gear and would like to find out what the masses are using. I would really like to use my bike as a year round commuter but realize also there will be a few snow days where I won't be able to make it to work because of weather. The other day I was coming home from work and it was 40 degrees and the wind was howling. I found my neck, head, hands and basically everywhere was freezing. I had liners in my pants and jacket but everything else was miserable. Only gloves I own have perforated holes in them to keep them cool in the summer. So I would like to invest in some winter riding gear but wonder if the need for heated gear is really nessasary? But then again on the other hand I don't want to throw all this money into some gear then wish I would have bought the heated gear. So what are the pro's vs. cons that some of you already have. Hopefully I can hear some of your opinions and make a more informed decision. Also I know it seems Gerbring make's the best heated stuff but what about my neck and head? What do yo do to keep them toasty? Sorry for all the newb questions but this is my first season riding in the cold.

Also let me say that the temps I will be commuting in will be between 15-40 degrees. Also any other cold weather tips you may want to add will be greatly appreciated....
Lets start with a basic electric vest that will except add ons for later if desired(h/cloves/H-armchaps/H-bottoms,socks/etc.).

Now get some @"Buffs" (@ name brand google. Cloth tube for your neck,You can wear more than one at a time,To go warmer,or fill gaps,wrist/ankles/also can use on head like one of those sand people.Only thing showing are the eyes).

For your hands Normal gloves with Hippo hands or same thing by any company(look for quick on off (Sec's),and stiff so not to close on hands at high air speed).

Your feet will be the happy-ist with some high $ mc socks (no seams)(don't want feet to feel tight.No blood circulation)And a added bit is a harley boot legging(easy on/off covers boot-toe).They are for rain,but work great for wind block,over boots.

So far,with the exception of the vest,All of this stuff will pack very small.

Now to finish up with a few high-tech clothes.Two piece riding tights is the best way to describe them(got mine at a Beemer shop).(they fit under you clothes,or over a T-shirt),(you'll find with the E-vest you might want to put it between you and the vest,so you won't get to hot,on/and off doesn't work well,and heat control thermastat is more $$$$).

Also add some wick-away long/short sleeve T-shirts.

If any of this is repeated,it's because I started this as number two responce.It just took me this long to compile all this to the written word.(I,ve done cross country m/biking in 10/20º more times than I can remember).

Any questions about these,or anything else just ask.

Alot can be said for acclimation too. If you never stop riding as the weather changes, you will adapt quite well. For me, eliminating the wind from getting to the skin is the biggest factor. The feet and hands are my weak points. Of course, I have no heated gear.

I usually do pretty well until that lunatic HaulinAshe wants to do all-day rides when it's 14 degrees.

Heated grips, winter gloves

Heated vest, Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suit.

Good to 40 - 45 degrees

Add sweatshirt and long johns for 30 - 35 degrees. The outside of my fingers get cold and my nose gets cold but eventually I get used to it.

The one piece suit helps because there are no leaks around the waist.

My winter gloves are Held Steve models, they are plain leather on the palm side (help pass heated grip heat) and have extra insulation on the outer side of the fingers/hand, this helps heat and makes for a normal, not bulky grip on the bars.

My only change above is to recommend a heated liner rather than a heated vest.

Ron

Gerbing jacket liner, heated grips, Vstrom handguards and an 03 FJR with the built in heater. good for everything except ice.

Gerbing jacket liner, heated grips, Vstrom handguards and an 03 FJR with the built in heater. good for everything except ice.
'05 FJR: V-strom hand guards and Yamaha foot guards to deflect the cold wind. If it is not too cold, I use glove liners and a fleece jacket under my riding suit (Cycleport). When it gets sub-40, I switch to my Gerbing gloves and Gerbing liner, dual wired with a dual star controller (gloves and liner are controlled separately). Most of the time I don't need the liner turned bery "high" but I like my fingers "toasty" rather than numb!

My commute is only 20 miles, so I have never needed the heated gear as a good pair of insulated gloves and an insulated work jacket under my riding jacket work for me.

Been through a lot of gear and a lot of cold. Nothing I've tried comes close to a good electric jacket liner. My personal preference is Gerbing but there are many other brands that seem to get good reviews too. I've done a sub-freezing SS1K with my Gerbing worn over a long sleeve shirt and both of these under my 'Stich. No worries.

Mix in heated grips AND electric gloves and you'll be toasty all day.

My legs and feet don't generally get cold but heated pants and socks are available if you're cold natured. These would not usually be necessary on a daily commute.

I forgot to mention that my commute is 50 miles each way. Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have alot of reading up to do before I make my final decision....

I decided to not go heated.

Two winters ago I used the following gear:

Gloves-Tourmaster Polar Tex (good down to low 20's)

Pant-Tourmaster Caliber (good to mid single digits)

Jacket-Tourmaster Transition (good to 40s without liner, mid teens with liner)

Neck Dickie-Schampa (good to mid 30s, then added hood)

Hood-Seirus 2755 Wind Pro X-treme Headliner Page 32 of the PDF (good to low teens)

The temps I give are based on being just slightly chilly wearing shorts and t-shirt under the gear.

Last winter I used the following gear:

Gloves-Tourmaster Polar Tex (good down to low 20's)

Pant-MotoPort Air Mesh Kevlar (Just chilly at -5 w/liners)

Jacket-MotoPort Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar (Just chilly at -5 w/liners)

Hood-Seirus 2755 Wind Pro X-treme Headliner Page 32 of the PDF (good to low teens)

The MotoPort gear allows me to ride sub zero, but my hands and neck are cold. This year I will work out a solution for the hands and neck.

The neck dickie will not work with the MotoPort jacket. The jacket liners do not allow enough space for the dickie and hood to be used.

Edit:

I no longer recommend the Seirus Hood. The first unit I purchased was great, really great. I misplaced that over the summer and purchased a new one. The one size fits all is not true. I was tight and caused headaches. I went back to the dealer and tried on five different units and they are all tight now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I rode every day 30 miles each way , except for snow and ice. I used the Gebring Vest, Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and over pants, with a base layer of the cold version of under armor, followed by heavy flannel work shirt and heavier pants. My gloves were insulated , but not heated I used liners. Topping it off was a full head and neck insulated cover. Double socks work well too. In my case I had the cold covered, but the lack of light in the winter is an issue, debris in the road, leaves, branches and all the rest.

Last edited by a moderator: