What's your opinion on Cold Weather Gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neck dickie[/url] will not work with the MotoPort jacket. The jacket liners do not allow enough space for the dickie and hood to be used.

Have you tried a neckgaiter? clicky I've used them on sleds and bikes for years.

I dont wear it over my face as illustrated just around my neck.

neck dickie[/url] will not work with the MotoPort jacket. The jacket liners do not allow enough space for the dickie and hood to be used.

Have you tried a neckgaiter? clicky I've used them on sleds and bikes for years.

I dont wear it over my face as illustrated just around my neck.
The Hood-Seirus 2755 Wind Pro X-treme Headliner is a lot like what you mention.

Before the Motoport gear I had enough room under the collor to fit the dickie and hood. However, with the MotoPort gear I only use the hood.

When it's cold outside, wind is your enemy. You simply must keep the wind out. Hence my addition of hand guards. I also use a neck gator when I'm traveling long distances in the very cold.

A balaclava seems to work for short trips (like your commute), but we all have different needs so that may not be enough for you.

lacofd:

I ride year round unless the road has ice or snow. Watch out for overpasses when the rest of the road is clear and dry but you have some overnight fog or other moisture source. I make a 30 mile trip to work at 5:00AM and return at 5:00PM. Right now it is still daylight for the evening commute but that will end soon.

I use a Gerbing jacket liner and the older/bulkier Gerbing gloves. The collar of the liner is heated and butts up nicely to the bottom of any of my full face helmets. On bitter days I wear a "buff" neck gator to keep the breeze off of my neck a little better but most days the liner's collar is sufficient. Our temps here range from -20 to 50 farenheit with December - February being the coldest months. I use several different jackets; all of them textile now. The better ones have storm flaps to seal the zippers and are my favorites for when it is really cold to keep the wind leaks at bay.

I tried for years not to use electrics but once you try a jacket liner and gloves you will not go back to going without. It is too simple to just turn a knob to adjust the temperature when compared to adding or removing layers. Like Jeff said, once you get past an hour or so you really need the electric to keep putting back self generated heat that inevitably is lost to the wind. I also run with the "flaps" in their outward position and the windshield all of the way up. No handguards or heated grips.

Dave

+1 to the Gerbing heated liner and heated gloves on a dual controller.

Here's what I want to add, though. I tried for years to go without, telling myself the heated stuff was just too expensive. I spent way more $$$ in trying various things and then took forever to layer up for each ride. What an idiot. I spent way more than the Gerbing stuff cost and can sell the Gerbings on EBay if I ever want to. Plus, I can have the 'Stitch and heated jacket liner on or off faster than I can put on my boots.

I tend to get cold feet and did the following.

What I did for cold feet.

I installed the V-Strom handguards and Dual Star elements. I wear thin gloves almost all the time.

Finished off with an electric jacket and a pair of balaclava's (light weight or a heavy fleece) depending on temps. I believe I got both of them from Aero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a jacket liner, why just a vest when you can have warm arms too ? The VStrom guards & elec gloves will keep the wind off the gloves & the hands warm. I have the Warm N Safe jacket liner (folds up very small) & both types of electric gloves they sell along with dual heat controls ~ Hard to beat !

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have electric gear. I might try it some day, but for now I am OK without it.

The V-Strom hand guards make a big difference in cold weather. Also, I wear a lined jacket and a hoodie sweatshirt underneath. The hood hangs down on my neck over the jacket collar and helps seal the gap between my jacket and helmet.

I wear lined riding pants year round. In the summer they protect me from the engine heat, and in the winter they keep me warm.

So I would like to invest in some winter riding gear but wonder if the need for heated gear is really nessasary? But then again on the other hand I don't want to throw all this money into some gear then wish I would have bought the heated gear.
That's *exactly* the situation my wife and i went through last season. We are new to riding in the Fall/Winter so we thought, "We'll just buy/use the same stuf we have for skiing!"

Off we wen, spending a grand on various kinds of cold weather gear....but we were bulked up like the Michelin Tire guy and couldn't operate the bikes.

So we went a different route - layers. Off we went again, buying layers and layers of gear. Another thousand dollars...

And it made a difference, as long as it wasn't *too* cold.

Finally, we wised up and bought Gerbing jackets and gloves. Last year, we rode through December 19th (when I crashed a bike but not due to the cold) and started again on March 19th when we bought a new bike.

Also I know it seems Gerbring make's the best heated stuff but what about my neck and head? What do yo do to keep them toasty?
I wear the usual head/neck gaiter stuff. Nothing heated but plenty warm.

Also any other cold weather tips you may want to add will be greatly appreciated....
Cold sneaks up on you. Be *very* cognizant of road conditions too. Make sure you know the weather conditions for your ride - bad enough getting caught out in the rain in the summer time. Getting caught in precipitation in the winter is a *thousand* times wore. :(

My experience
Heated grips + winter gloves + Aerostitch Roadcrafter + sweatshirt = 30 Deg for extended periods. My toes do get cold.

Heated grips + winter gloves + Motoport Kevlar + liners = 30 Deg for extended periods. My toes still get cold.

I've considered a full sleeved jacket type heated vest, but I've yet to feel the real need. I don't like to ride under 30 Deg anyway since there's a fear of ice.
Ray, have you tried heated socks? And +1 on the heated gear. Don't see how one could go wrong on plug in clothing and alot less bulky. PM. <>< :D

Olympia Phantom One-Piece in Neon Yellow. Broke it out today for the first time this season. Temps in the DC area were just rising above freezing and I was just a touch nippy without the liner. Plus, you can be seen from outer space. With the liner in place, I have ridden for several hours in the teens with no problems--except that elimination of bodily fluids when wearing a one-piece is always a finely choreographed event.

As an added benefit, the Olympia allows you to wear your office garb underneath. No time-consuming and sometimes awkward costume changes are required once you cross the threshold to your cubicle/office/meeting/coronation (pick one). Step out of the suit and you are ready to resume your rightful place as a Master of the Universe.

For hands, I cannot recommend Hippo Hands highly enough. They are VStrom hanguards on steroids.

Well I start off with a wind triangle or wind band from Aerostitch to keep the wind off the neck. I also use a Baclava to keep the head and ears warm.

I use a heated vest under my Aerostitch Daren jacket typically over a decent base layer (Cold gear from underarmor under normal clothing). My vest is also an Aerostitch product, the Kanetsu wind stopper version. Even with the electrics off, the wind stopper easily adds 10 degrees of warmth and comes highly recommended.

I used to run the thick winter gloves and I found that these didn't work to keep my hands warm. Instead I use a pair of Held race gloves with the heavy padded tops and thiner kangaroo palms. This lets my hands soak up the energy from my heated grips. Mmmmmm Toasty.....

I opted to go with the factory installed heated grips (Ouch) but the dealership will never be able to deny me warrenty repairs on the charging system because i installed aftermarket grips that voided my warrenty (Now I will just have to argue about the auxillary lighting....)

Lastly, a good pair of waterproof boots that are not too tight to allow good wool socks beneith.

This setup typically allows me to go 4-6 hours in 30-40 degree weather in almost total comfort. Once its below 30, your just going to get cold. Its a good reason to stop and drink some coffee :blink: