When Pigs Fly!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was nasty! Those HD's have great suspensions for NOT absorbing bumps.

The poor coppers head contacted the ground no less than three times. Looked semi-ok, but he'll be hurting for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video! the video is a good reminder why good protective riding gear is essential in the event of a crash.

In addition, how a bump in the road and enough speed, can launch a motorcycle weighing more than 700 lbs in the air so effortlessly.

Thank you for the post Achiu :)

Looking at about 0:24 in the slo-mo just before the launch, I think I can see a little smoke from the back wheel and the front dipping slightly (video quality not good enough to be sure). If so, the rider did the wrong thing, braking so loading the front just before hitting a bump.

Good point.

If presented with hitting some sort of obstacle in the road like this, the best move a rider can make is to stand up on the footpegs. That would be second nature to anyone who has done any off road riding in their past. This puts all of your weight down low in the chassis and gives the suspension the best chance of doing its job. It also prevents you from being ejected over the bars like what happened in this video.

I wonder why they don't teach that at MSF Basic Rider courses? It's not something that takes a lot of skill but it has to be second nature for you to think of it right away as an emergency reaction.

Good point.

If presented with hitting some sort of obstacle in the road like this, the best move a rider can make is to stand up on the footpegs. That would be second nature to anyone who has done any off road riding in their past. This puts all of your weight down low in the chassis and gives the suspension the best chance of doing its job. It also prevents you from being ejected over the bars like what happened in this video.

I wonder why they don't teach that at MSF Basic Rider courses? It's not something that takes a lot of skill but it has to be second nature for you to think of it right away as an emergency reaction.
They did teach this at the course I attended. I think the officer either didn't see it in time to react, has not really ridden enough to develop the proper reactions, or just flat out panicked.

Good point.

Same posture as coming up short for a double on a SX track... On pegs, elbows out, knees slightly bent, gripping tank. DAMHIK... :)

Good point.

They did teach this at the course I attended. I think the officer either didn't see it in time to react, has not really ridden enough to develop the proper reactions, or just flat out panicked.

That's good to know. I don't remember it being discussed but it was a long time ago for me.

I have always thought it was a shame that motorcycle officers don't wear armored gear. I was told that it was because they needed to be able to move freely once off the bike in case of a physical altercation. I guess that their personal safety is considered less important than their duty to the public. I don't know if that is true or not but it made me respect the motorcycle officers a bit more than before. I hope he is not badly hurt, it hurt me to watch it.

Mine and my wife's experiences with the MSF course is that little tips and nuggets of practical experience info like this is largely dependent upon the instructors. I took the course about 8 years ago and it was covered. I had an excellent instructor. Lots of real-world info in addition to the book. The practical examples were rail road tracks and speed bumps. The instructor covered peg standing, shifting your weight appropriately and seat hovering.

That was hard to watch. I have (7) 30mph speed bumps on the last paved road to my house. I've been doing them at 50mph for 15 years and I always stand up on bent knees. It's become second nature. Having a great suspension helps a lot!

Mine and my wife's experiences with the MSF course is that little tips and nuggets of practical experience info like this is largely dependent upon the instructors. I took the course about 8 years ago and it was covered. I had an excellent instructor. Lots of real-world info in addition to the book. The practical examples were rail road tracks and speed bumps. The instructor covered peg standing, shifting your weight appropriately and seat hovering.
I learned the hard way when I got my XR650L and it doesn't take long to catch on after a few dumps. The other most important thing I learned from riding in the dirt is acceleration is your friend. Staying on the throttle has bailed me out on the street and trails several times.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, MSF has rising off the seat and blipping the throttle just before impact in their curriculum. The thing that stood out to me was how that pigeon got the crap scared out of it's self! Guess that's why there was a "Stop Animal Abuse" logo in the upper right hand corner? I too wish that LEO's could wear better PPE as long sleeve shirts just don't cut it!

Damn, that hurts just to watch it.

Took the basic rider course this summer with my son. They did teach getting off the seat and unloading the front suspension when seeing an obstacle. Ran over that 2 X 4 quite a few times that day...but had fun flogging that poor DR200!

--G

I learned the hard way when I got my XR650L and it doesn't take long to catch on after a few dumps. The other most important thing I learned from riding in the dirt is acceleration is your friend. Staying on the throttle has bailed me out on the street and trails several times.

Dave
I used the speed bumps on my old dual sport as a launch ramp for wheelies.
punk.gif