Where Is The End Of The Turn Signal Harness?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
I'm trying to install Yamaha accessory heated grips. The "-" end of the heated grips harness is supposed to connect into an interrupter that's connected to the ground wire between the signal light wire [sic] and the bike's "Wire Harness Turn Signal Lights/Horn".

Basically I need to find a set of connectors where the wires from the left side of the handlebar connects to another harness.

Has anybody seen a thread or other web resource showing installation of heated grips?

Does anybody know where the wires from the left switch housing connect to the bike?

Do I need to loosen the tank?

I'm not sure if this is supposed to go here but I couldn't find anything similar to this in the accessories forum.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I gave up looking. The shop manual is about useless. I connected to the negative battery terminal instead. The heated grips work great.

"The shop manual is useless"??????

The shop manual show you exact wiring harness locations and routings including all connectors with their pin-outs. I am not sure which manual you own and if you even understand reading electrical diagrams but it isn't worthless. Just the opposite if you ask me. The manual was not written for someone who doesn't understand the basics. Maybe your not looking in the right place but if you look again you will find page apon page of valuable information. Including the wiring diagams and routings. Look closer. You will find it.

BTW It is a very good idea to actually read the entire manual cover to cover first......

Assuming your US bike is not dissimilar to my uk one, then the live wire joins the brown wire connector on the right hand side of the handlebars - just slots in

Paul

01 fjr

uk

If you are asking about the connector it is located under the tank, just behind and the the right of the steering neck. IIRC it is a roughly 9 pin white connector, but the (very good in my opinion) manual would detail that.

-BD

Thanks very much for the helpful responses. I appreciate them very much. I'll take a look at moving my ground. It is ground I'm after, not power.

With respect to the non-helpful response (and the editorial comment in one of the helpful responses) -- Yes, IMO the manual is about useless. Sorry if I touched a nerve. I'm an engineer with two decades of experience. I can read electrical diagrams. Also, I was comparing the manual to a Harley manual so maybe my comparison isn't fair.

I'm using the Yamaha shop manual (I can't remember the exact title). There are several problems with it. For example, there is neither a table of contents nor an index. Yes, there is page upon page upon page upon page upon page upon page ... upon page of diagrams. In fact, there appears to be about 20 pages of exactly the same diagram but with different call-outs. But again, there is no index. So you can't look up "connector, handle bar electrical, left", for example, and see where it is and what its pinout is. You have to read the manual just about cover-to-cover to find it.

The manual looks like it was written by some Japanese engineers. That's not good. Yamaha needs to hire a technical writer and invest in some narrative.

I don't recommend it for purchase.

Please don't shoot back. This is just my opinion.

OK -- I'm back to say the respondants are more right than me (I was more wrong). And I regret posting a response when I was in the heat of frustration with finding connectors. I don't want to leave a negative review of the shop manual posted without following it up with a correction.

The FJR technical manual DOES have a table of contents. And when I sat and looked for things in a leisurely way, I was generally able to find them.

The manual does not have an index however, so if you are used to looking things up like that, you need to change your habits. Therefore, you need to allow enough (extra) time to look through a section rather than zooming right to a page as if you were using an index.

On the plus side, the manual is quite complete, even though sometimes you have to spend more time than you might like looking for what you need. On the down side, it is geared to users with a high degree of capability and may not be your cup of tea if you are a beginning wrench, because there is a paucity of explanation. Much of the text is like a list of things to do rather than a detailed explanation of how to do them.

I've changed my opinion and believe the shop manual is pretty good -- not excellent (IMO), but pretty good.

Just like an engineer, not being able to use the manual correctly. I have the same problem. :)

Some people have the manual in an electronic format so the lack of an index is irrelevant. Computer can search the PDF in a flash.

Latest posts