Which Givi top box best?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FedExguy

Reaction score
My recently purchased 2013 came with a givi monokey rack but no box. I was going to take it off and buy an oem rack and grab handle, but I would still have to buy a backrest. So I'm thinking that getting a box that will be used mainly as a backrest might be the way to go. so my question is what box would be best? I have read comments on one where they said the back pad was very uncomfortable. My wife hasn't ridden with me for quite a while ,so comfort is key!

Depends on what you want to be able to put in it. A Givi V47 is not big enough to take a XXL Shoei Neotec equipped with a Sena 20 or Cardo Packtalk Bold. JSNS

Many here remove their oem rack and replace it with the Givi for a stronger tail. If that's the route you end up going ask here first. Good chance someone will make you a deal. That said, if you're looking for a box solely for use as a backrest maybe a stand-alone might serve you better? Don't know if one could be mounted with the Givi rack (might have to remove the mounting plate - easy enough) but if anyone could figure that out it would be Garauld here on the Forum. Check out some of his products here and PM him with any questions. And now with that said, other than possibly aesthetics, a top box seems to me to be the way to go; plug & play solution to your problem and as John alluded to, options to put your crap in. Quite a few here have done the same thing so I'm sure you'll get some responses. This has been asked about before too so some searching might also turn up something useful.

If you're carrying a pillion, you probably NEED the extra storage of a box.
rolleyes.gif

I have the Givi 55 and it holds 2 FF helmets. The Yamaha box doesn't.

I have a Givi sr357, and currently use a v56. Before that I had an E55 and a v47. Both of those are still going strong on other bikes.

Thank you for the replies! Has anybody's significant other are passenger complained about a certain model? are raved about how comfortable a certain model is? Since I have the rack already Im going to go with a givi case. I read a review on the v46 case and they said the back pad was very uncomfortable ( I know that is 1 mans opinion) and thats why Im trying to gather more opinions. Thanks again!

My wife complained about the pad hurting her back. I bought her an armored jacket with a CE approved back guard and the issue went away.

I have the V47 monokey with back rest. It holds my M shoei1200 and my wifes S hjc with room to spare. She says she doesn't "rest" against the pad but enjoys the security of it during my regularly brisk forward movements lol.

I have read a couple times as well when it comes to adding a pad to the case or not comes down to the jacket the passenger is wearing. Having a thick pad in the jacket then add the pad to the case can force the passenger to lean too far forward. Buy the biggest Givi case you can put on, go for a test ride then add the pad to the case if needed.

Having just purchased a used Yamaha case, Givi is a better way to go. I don't regret my decision because of the price and I didn't have one before, so I am very happy with it. Yet I can see a lot of wasted space in the Yamaha case the way it is designed. If I was in the mode of buying brand new, Givi is the way I would have gone, it is a very good case and you get more space for your buck. Since you already have the Givi rack a big chunk of the expense is already taken care of, you are in a pretty good position. ......big case must travel.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigger is better IMO. Between my side cases and that big Givi (not sure of the designation but I think it's the biggest one), I can get about a full grocery cart worth of stuff on the bike. I bought the Givi from a member and it came with the lights installed--Admore, I think. More lights are better too.

Didn't have a tail bag or a passenger seat back on my first FJR when I first got it and my not-too-significant other (my sister-in-law) really hated it. But that was because I wanted to show her how my new bike could accelerate. Almost lost her.
rolleyes.gif

I like the look of the pad. Based upon numerous other reports, I chose not to get one as I didn’t think the wife would find it comfortable. I bought her a mesh jacket with a back pad. She has been comfortable on all the cases. Never commented on any difference.

Givi V47 is very popular here. V56 came out later. I had a Givi 46L option (E460) for many years and now have the V56, which I love. Holds a lot, never take it off.

Had purchased the pad for the earlier Givi and wife said it pushed her too far forward so I never installed it. She is perfectly comfortable without the pad, but we wear jackets when we ride and I don't think she leans hard into the case anyway.....but she loves that it is there behind her.

On both my OEM top case and the Givi V56 that has now replaced it I opted to go without either of the available backrest pads for the top boxes. My reasoning was the spine protector in my passengers jacket coupled with the pad would push them too far forward. Additionally I figured if they really wanted a pad as a temporary measure a folded up towel cold serve the same purpose for no added cost and can be thrown in the top box if not desired.

Thank you for all the input! V47 has been ordered!!! No back pad, gonna take a wait and see approach on that. I'm really hoping my wife will enjoy riding with me again. This bike is freaking amazing! You'll have to excuse my excitement, but I'm getting off a 2004 concours and onto the fjr. Someone at work asked me how different it is, my answer was its like getting out of a chevette and into a corvette...Thanks again.

Givi E55 and V47... the E55 is great and big (!) but looks like you're getting chased by a flying saucer... I also get just the slightest wind feel from it. I prefer the V47.

Last edited by a moderator: