Which Model FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
This is for all of us FJR owners, but especially directed to Slap and the Mods.

Is there a way to change the board to reflect the model and year of each FJR owner, perhaps in that left column? I know it can be put in the signature line, and thanks to those of you who list your various steeds.

Since we now have a different animal to contend with, we are going to have discussions about apples AND oranges. I'm noticing a lot of cross over in discussions, where particularly newbies are talking about '06 models and getting replies about earlier models. For the most part, it's all working out well, but was just thinking about a fail safe mechanism that's always visible when someone posts and doesn't mention the model of FJR they are discussing.

Yes, I am starting to get a little (more) dazed and confused, and for most of you, this isn't a problem. But with lots of newbies and many of us board vets switching out to the new faster, cooler '06 models, I thought I'd just mention that it was important for all of us to reflect the bike we own (or want to own).

Ok, the rest is up to you all. I'm now going back to change my sig (which I dumped completely a while back), to reflect the bike I own (and the one I'm STILL waiting for...).

Matt

www.DocThrock.com

2004 FJR1300A FOR SALE

2006 FJR1300AE WAITER

2005 WR250F gathering dust

I agree. Seeing farkles and mods for the '06 are different than the earlier Feejers, this makes a lot of sense.

The closest thing I've found is the custom profile fields and that is already an option for people fill out. Most do when they sign up. But, it will only display when you click on the user.

In fact, I see you have an '06 AE in your profile FJRocket.

I don't know of anyway to display that information in any place but where it's at. The board software does not apear to have the option short of stealing the title field for this purpose....and I don't think everybody will want that changed.

I think putting the word out suggesting to folks they put their model year in their signature would be the next best thing.

Knowing that different models exist (like the pretty picture at the top of each page depicts), if you don't specify which one your question pertains to you deserve some confusing answers, or no answers. "Ask a stupid question...." We can't make the forum idiot-proof, IMHO.

I'll fix my own sig now since two different models share the same gorgeous Cerulean color. It's easy. Not fool proof, but definitely not brain surgery.

Edit- Hey Rocket, those HID's going into the AE?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll fix my own sig now since two different models share the same gorgeous Cerulean color.
Huh... and all this time I just thought it was primer grey.... :p

There are alot of places you can mention that you're talking about an 06, AE, ABS, non ABS that adding some sort of area on the left side may be a bit much. I mean you could put it in your sig line for example, or perhaps (gasp) put in in the subject line when you want model specific information. Besides, even if you made a spot for it in the left side stuff, people would still have to fill out some form somewhere to get that information there. If you take a quick look at some peoples profiles, alot of people dont have that filled out now.

I don't think so. If I get time and feel like farting with them, I may shove them in just to have them at WFO. But I was just planning on putting my Silver Stars in there, and saving the HID's to use for landing lights on my kit plane.

lol....idiot proof....not in america, buddy. My "idiot" card is right behind my "certified genius" card. They go hand in hand.

Knowing that different models exist (like the pretty picture at the top of each page depicts), if you don't specify which one your question pertains to you deserve some confusing answers, or no answers. "Ask a stupid question...." We can't make the forum idiot-proof, IMHO.
I'll fix my own sig now since two different models share the same gorgeous Cerulean color. It's easy. Not fool proof, but definitely not brain surgery.

And, given that some people won't specify which model they're asking about, do you think those same people would bother to look at a sig block to see if the responder has the same bike. Even if the models in the sig blocks are different does it mean that the answers don't transcend the years? In some cases the answers are universal while in other cases it's not.

The tried and true method is to be specific when asking a question if you want a specific answer. If it was good enough for Socrates, it's good enough for us.

Well how 'bout specific board areas for the 03-05 and 06 models?

I've put posts up with stating I have an 06 and had 03 rider chime in.

Well, I was hoping it might be as simple as getting rid of the member number in exchange for model number. Guess the software isn't THAT customizable. Bummer. <_<

Yes, it's not a perfect world. That's why I was hoping we could take the extra clicks of having to check the poster's data to see what bike they ride. IF they even put that info in there. Was hoping it could be a registration driven thing.... :rolleyes:

And to complicate matters, I (and Turbo Dave) get to REALLY confuse things since we have BOTH models. HAH! :blink:

One of the driving forces to this query was the fact that I have to wait until Thursday to check and see if my AE has changed from "in transit" to "delivered" so I can go and get it. See, I've got "WD", waiter's disease pretty bad. Have to post a lot to compensate.

Ok, just consider this a thread to remind folks to please verify which model FJR they have. I'm sure it won't fix things, but... can't we all just get along?

Perhaps a note to newbies in the registration or welcome note about model specification?

Please don't split the forum. Not yet. Sheesh, Thumpertalk does that, with all the brands. My gosh, you can get lost in that place!

I sometimes read the SV605S fora. There are basically two different styles of 650S, the earlier ones with a curvy fairing and the newer ones with a sharperR, pointy fairing. In the fora they are referrd to as 'curvy' and 'pointy' to distiguish betwen the two. Like the FJR they have many things in common and are discussed as a whole with respect to the common parts. No separate section of the forum is used for either style.

My point is that we will, in time, learn to distinguish between the models where they differ and still share a common discussion of the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest thing I've found is the custom profile fields and that is already an option for people fill out. Most do when they sign up. But, it will only display when you click on the user.
I'm going to look into editing the skin templates to also call up this extra feild. Might not be easy, won't know til I dig in. Don't expect quick results.

I'm going to look into editing the skin templates to also call up this extra feild. Might not be easy, won't know til I dig in. Don't expect quick results.
slapnpop.....he's the man.... :D ....

I don't give a crap about an '06 specific section. I'm an EOWA, anyway. What I do care about is that poor fuck of a dog, Indy, getting his eyesight back. Throw a little love his way wouldja, Rocket? That's really freakin' me out.