Which touring cruiser? Non-HD/BMW

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyitgobob

Reaction score
Im just kicking this out so I can say Ive shopped the whole field while recuperating from a broken pelvis. Which non HD cruiser would you recommend for long distance riding? 98% likelihood Ill buy another FJR to go with my Gen 1 FZ1 but Im curious to know if theres a cruiser I should look into?

I pretty much bleed blue, have had a lot of bikes, and am a bit arthritic. Ive almost pulled the trigger on a couple of sportier Moto Guzzi over the years, but chickened out at last minute. If anyone has any long term experience with their cruiser line, please speak up. Any Kaw or Yamaha experience welcome too! TIA!

Bob

The new 2018 Goldwing looks interesting. IMHO, Yamaha dropped the ball with the Venture reboot (V-twin without a lot of grunt), although I'm sure it would be reliable. Victory is out of the business and I am not wild about the big Indians and their "bling" although I would take that route before HD.

Single. Sad to say,but wife rode once, started screaming when we leaned, got a ride home via car and only rides horses since. Poor prep on my part along with control issues. Oh well.

The Honda F6B seems to be very popular. I love my FJR, but it fits what I like. If you need/want something else, there's a ton to choose from. Good luck.

Kawasaki Vaqueros are nice bikes. I thought about getting one of those but didn't want to get out of the sport - touring "Lifestyle."

I know a few Guzzi owners and for the most part they speak highly of them. Ease of maintenance and pretty reliable have been their opinions but I must say these are guys well versed on doing their own repairs and one has a pretty long resume of road racing and owned a small bike shop for many years so I feel they're slightly above average owners. Downfall, at least in my opinion, of Moto Guzzi is the pretty limited dealer network at least in my own area. Oddly enough the one dealer we have is only walking distance from my house! Europa Machina in Lewisberry, PA. They're mostly a Porsche restoration shop that took on the brand after the owner's wife bought an old Guzzi at a sale and they wanted to restore it. Finding no other dealers nearby they became one just to get the inside line on parts.They do pretty well with them but it's certainly not their main income source.

The newer Triumph line is nice but again dealerships are hit and miss for experience and the service they provide.

Have a good friend on a Kawasaki Vulcan that I ride with fairly often. I think it's a 1700 around 2006 or 2007 but not sure of exact year. Nice bike. He keeps up well enough and it has nice luggage capacity. Been rock solid for him these past couple seasons and he bought it used with some miles on it.Not really my sort of bike but I must admit it seems to do well.

I'd have an HD road king right now, as a second bike, were it not for lack of adequate cooling for my needs. I really enjoyed riding a Kawasaki Nomad for a while. To be honest, it felt more like "me" than any other bike I've owned, but I never did 1K mile days on it. Personally, I like a heel-toe shifter and floorboards. On a cruiser, that is. I used to favor them because heel toe shifters don't mar highly polished black jackboots, and I grew accustomed to them, though my polished boot (now desert roughout) and uniformed days are in the past. For me, until HD goes to full liquid cooling, it'd be a Honda wing or F6B, or a Nomad. I think both are better made than HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after work tonight I'm going to sit on a Victory Vision, Kawasaki Vulcan and a Royal Star Venture. I'll get to see whether the cruiser sitting position causes pain and whether looking at the Vision causes blindness. Have a line on a Norge when I can get down to that dealer. Thanks for the suggestions.

There may be some deals to be had on leftover Victory Vision or Cross-Country since they are no longer in production. Hope they will be supported for some time to come??

(I could never get over the appearance of the Vision although I have spoken to a number of people who have had them and most liked the bike a lot.)

I'm partial to the Kawasaki line- I owned 2 before the FjR. There were some heat problems with the then-new 1700's (think Gen1 FJR) but most riders of newer models really like them. I've ridden with F6B, Indian and Victory guys too. None would have traded for anything in the world.

Good luck in your search! I recall I drove everyone on Kawi forums crazy when first shooping for a ST bike.

Im just kicking this out so I can say Ive shopped the whole field while recuperating from a broken pelvis. Which non HD cruiser would you recommend for long distance riding? 98% likelihood Ill buy another FJR to go with my Gen 1 FZ1 but Im curious to know if theres a cruiser I should look into?I pretty much bleed blue, have had a lot of bikes, and am a bit arthritic. Ive almost pulled the trigger on a couple of sportier Moto Guzzi over the years, but chickened out at last minute. If anyone has any long term experience with their cruiser line, please speak up. Any Kaw or Yamaha experience welcome too! TIA!

Bob
Most of the cruiser style bikes are V-twins and it seem you're more of an inline 4 guy maybe. Do ya think you'll be happy with the v-twin experience.?

Also with the feet forward position of a cruiser it many put more pressure on your pelvis. Perhaps a more upright riding position of a standard or adventure style bike would be more comfy... dunno???

Paul

Paul,

I think you've got me pegged pretty well as an inline 4 guy. The only V-twin I've owned was a DL1000 - nice comfy position but a flat motor. I also suspect you are correct about the ergonomics of a cruiser and my body, especially if knees are above hip joints. Sitting on several tonight will probably make that very clear. I'm just wanting to make certain I've examined all my options. Like I said, 98% chance of a Gen 2 or 3 FJR in my future, but I'm also going to the MG dealer to check out the Norge and California before I buy. A goose is sorta on my bucket list

Again, thanks to all for pointing out some good leads.

Bob

The Victory Vision has always seemed just too odd looking for me. But EVERY person I've talked to that had one swore it was the best bike they ever had.

I loved my rental of the Indian Tourmaster, but I have two friends with that bike (former Harley owners) and they've both had plenty of issues.

Agree with above the Honda F6B seems to do a lot of things very well.

The Honda F6B seems to be very popular. I love my FJR, but it fits what I like. If you need/want something else, there's a ton to choose from. Good luck.

First choice would be a Goldwing F6B (about 70 lbs lighter than full dress GW):

jzzfjc.jpg

OR if you want to more traditional look, these are works of art:

Kawasaki-Vulcan-1700-Vaquero-ABS.jpg

Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS

Ive owned both the Vaquero and the F6B Deluxe. Those two pictures above could be taken of my bikes, both white.

Of the two, the F6B won hands down for me. The Vaquero, which is pretty strong for a V twin, was just far too underpowered to satisfy me. I rode it 2000 miles (2 months) and traded it on a Triumph Tiger Explorer. I still have the Triumph, and the F6B Deluxe.

I am toying with the idea of the 2018 Goldwing DCT. I am on the list for a test ride when they arrive, most likely in about 2 more months.

FWIW, I am no fan of any of the V twin cruisers. Ive never ridden even one that could pull your navel through your belly button. From Kawasaki to Victory, to Indian, theyve all felt anemic.

The Tiger Explorer is far zippier. I would not describe the F6B as zippy, but it feels a LOT stronger than any V-twin extant.