Which way is the better ride between Gallup NM and Cedar City?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
Coming from Gallup there's a choice of ways:

264 to 191 and Mexican Water then south on 160 to 98 to Page and 89 to Cedar City. (Also is the cut off at Many Farms to Kayenta a good idea, or is it not good road and too much time etc.?)

264 all the way to Tuba City then north on 89 to Page and Cedar City

Mapquest says go the first route, but Rand McNally says the second is scenic most of the way. Both look to be about the same time/distance, hence my question.

Also, at Bitter Springs on 89, which of the routes are more scenic or better riding to Kanab: 89 or Alt 89?

I'm trying to keep the distance to about 550 miles and 9 to 10 hours for the day.

Thanks.

I did 89 going south to Silver City last year and Alt 89 coming back. If you like flat and straight take 89, I much preferred Alt 89, the portion going past Jacob Lake is scenic with curves and elevation changes.

89A is definately the more scenic route. It takes you through the beautiful Vermillion Cliffs and Jacob Lake (as he stated above). Stop at the Marble Canyon parking lot to check out the CO river gorge from the bridge walkway. Good photo op.

I vote for 89A also.

If you are going that way and find yourself running late, you can turn left on 389 at Fredonia and go through Colorado City, Hurricane, and La Verkin to I-15.

That will get you to Cedar quicker, but not as much fun as going up 89 to 14.

I'd probably stay on 264 from Gallup to Tuba City too. Worst thing about that highway is the speed limit seems to change a lot, and no gas between Ganado and Tuba City if I remember correctly.

Why are you coming as far south as Gallup? When will you be there. We're gonna leave here early Thursday morning, and Gallup is about 2 hours from here. If you're gonna be there anyway, we could meet up.

Why are you coming as far south as Gallup? When will you be there. We're gonna leave here early Thursday morning, and Gallup is about 2 hours from here. If you're gonna be there anyway, we could meet up.
Seems like a good place to get off the slab after spending the night in Albuquerque.

There's a road out of Window Rock/Ft Defiance Az, just north of Gallup that is Indian Hwy 12, run that north to 160 then head west to Tuba City. very nice ride in the spring time. Not a lot of traffic and some nice sweepers

Seems like a good place to get off the slab after spending the night in Albuquerque.
I'll be coming from a friend's place in Rio Rancho - you want some company?

I will be trying to limit my time in the saddle, so the most direct route absent interstate from Gallup is what I will be doing.

All good information and suggestions. Thanks for the replies.

Thanks 'Zilla - I sure will. I'm not sure when I'll get to RR yet but I want to spend some time with my friends before &/or after SWFOG. I have time off May 23rd thru June 7th for this trip...

Summer is coming early this year, we hit 103 today with 107 expected tomorrow. The best route is the coolest, check the forecast for both routes and take the coolest.

I read on another forum that 89 is open all the way to Page now.

Have not verified it though.