Who all wants stop in Niobrara, NE on the way to CFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valetz

Reaction score
IMG_6955.JPG

[SIZE=8pt]The Pict above is from when Dana and I stopped at Two Rivers on the way to WFO, it is a great place to meet and hang out.[/SIZE]

OK, So I'm sure most of you are wondering why Niobrara... Right?

In the late 1950s, Danny Liska set out from Niobrara, Nebraska on the adventure of a lifetime when he rode his trusty BMW from the Arctic Circle to Tierra Del Fuego. This journey, chronicled in the book "Two Wheels to Adventure," has inspired countless long distance motorcycle riders to set out for their own adventures on (and off) the road. Danny didn't stop there. In the 1960s, he got back on the Beemer and rode from the North Cape of Norway to the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa.
It's one of the classic Team Strange stops (think MN1000.)

They have hosted various events in Niobrara including the start and finish of the Butt Lite last year.

So here is what I propose... We hang out at Two Rivers Saloon on Weds night and drink Fat Tire.

(Fat Tire tastes better at Two Rivers that it does in Colorado... Yes I am Serious)

The grill is open until 9pm and they have extremely good Elk Burgers (at least they did last summer.)

So far it's going to be myself and Rick Corwin.

This is an open invitation to anyone else who want to join us in Niobrara on Weds night.

Let us know in this thread if you plan on being there.

Lodging info

Two Rivers Saloon (& Hotel)

402-857-3340

Notes:

They had two rooms left when I called today.

When we were there last time Pat let it slip that he doesn't like using his CC machine. (
i.e.
bring cash)

Hilltop Lodge Motel

402-857-3611

Notes:

I called today and all 12 rooms were available.

Within walking distance of Two River Saloon.
:D

Other Details:

Danny has passed away, but his first wife Arlene still lives in Niobrara, I've never had a chance to talk to her personally...

But, she is always around at Team Strange events, and has a great personality and lots of stories, I'm going to see if she if she has time to visit.

The preferred breakfast joint is the Custer County Cafe on the west edge of town.

Here is a Minnesota Motorcycle Monthly article on Niobrara.

If traveling from the Twin Cities:

You end up with two 350 miles days instead on one 600 mile day.

IA 60 is now 4 lanes almost all the way, (they are still finishing up on the North end.)

It now runs around the towns it used to go through... It was only posted a few places but appears to be 65mph.

If you go through Vermillion take the version of 50 that runs on the North side of town. (avoid the lights)

County Rd 12 just North of Le Mars, IA looks like a great cut across, but it was being resurfaced when we ran out for WFO. (Yup, gravel)

-bvw.

Brian,

I was going to leave for CFO on the 19th. I have no solid plans. What time were you thinking of heading out? If your plan was to go down 169 to 60... I can be at 169 & 19 in a little over 1 1/2 hours, from my place. I have taken that Wed off so anytime is good for me.

Erik.

Not 100% sure yet, but as of now I was going to go into work in the morning, and try to get out before traffic builds up.

Last time I left at 3 and that was to late.

Yes, 169 to 60

-bvw.

Sounds like fun. I need to work until at least noon on the 19th but can leave from DT MPLS anytime after that. If you guys head out earlier I'll just hook up with you in Niobrara.

Food I can get en route. How late is the BAR open?

Doug Wilson

Food I can get en route. How late is the BAR open?
Ahh yes, I did ask that question...Pat said 11 or 12, but that it really depends on how busy it is.

I'm going to plan to eat supper in Niobrara, I remember that Elk burger being quite tasty...

And I'm going to plan to leave work at 1PM*

(I work just off of 169 & 62)

Those who would like to meet along the way now have a potential time frame to work with.

Google maps says 48 minutes to 169 & 19, so we could plan on meeting at 2:00 there.

-bvw.

*I'm actually going to plan for Noon, so I can leave at 1:00

Last edited by a moderator:
[Google maps says 48 minutes to 169 & 19, so we could plan on meeting at 2:00 there.

-bvw.]

2PM at 169 and 19 it is.

Erik, are you in or are you going to go help Rick with his pre-partying?

Doug

Well, let's figure that out........

Rick, what time were thinking of leaving? Were you planning to go down 169? Do you want to meet 169 & 41? I'm off work all day. I'd prefer to head out and get there before the sun starts to set. I'm not much for night driving.

Erik

Mapquest says it's over 7 hours from Wichita and adds about 40 miles so I don't think I'll make it, but it sure sounds like a cool place. I haven't had an Elk Burger. I don't think I could make it by 9 PM as I am working on Wednesday. Hope you guys have fun. See you on Thursday.

Well, let's figure that out........
Rick, what time were thinking of leaving? Were you planning to go down 169? Do you want to meet 169 & 41? I'm off work all day. I'd prefer to head out and get there before the sun starts to set. I'm not much for night driving.

Erik
I have no idea when I'll be leaving. My neighbor might be going so it may depend on that some also I've got a trip to St.Louis coming up to do first. Cripes, this is a month away still and I supposed to know when I'm leaving. :huh: Besides, the last time I followed you it cost me $150 :dribble:

Brian's right Fat Tire DOES taste better in Niobrara, always has always will.

Rick, I think you might have me confused with Jeff Ashe..... I don't remember leading anyone into temptation.....hehehe Unless you followed me past some vendor tables. :rolleyes:

Erik

I may be able to get to Niobrara in time for breakfast and ride the rest of the way out thurs. I'm only 2 hours from Niobrara and I rise early, also pillar is bringing car out thur. nite, that frees me up a little. Just give me an indication how early thurs. morning everyone there want to take off.

Just made all the the arrangements so that I can now go to CFO!!! There was a work trip scheduled but thankfully it has been postponed until next year! Phoenix is better in February than September anyway.

I could make it to Niobrara after work. I wouldn't be there until closer to 9pm, but if y'all keep a chair open I'd like to join the group.

(EDIT) - I'm taking the 19th off as well. So I'll make it a nice leisurely ride up there.

I'll probably look at the State Park for lodging...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a spare bed at the Two Rivers? I just called and they're full. I'm sure I can get a room at the Hilltop but the Two Rivers is really convenient (crawling distance).
I'm camping under da stars at the state park nearby. A little further than crawling distance, but waaaay cheaper. B)

07FJRSD and I were considering the backup plans in case no one else was going to make it.