Who Needs FZ-1 Mirrors?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... re: picture of fisheye mirrors
Would these stick-on mirrors work better if mounted on the outside edge of the mirror instead the inside edge?
Perhaps, but I use that part of the mirror pretty regularly -- that's the useful part of the mirror. The fisheye mirrors enhance vision but the image is small and rounded. I chose to mount the fisheyes to the inside most part the mirror because that part of the mirror only allows me to see my elbows anyway.

Dennis

oh and by the way, my FJR can beat up your FJR! Grow up. :angry2:
Your 2006 can beat up Wheatie's 2004? :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

From what deep, dark, demented portion of your brain did you drag THAT fiction from???

Funniest thing I've read on the forum this month!!

oh and by the way, my FJR can beat up your FJR! Grow up. :angry2:
Your 2006 can beat up Wheatie's 2004? :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

From what deep, dark, demented portion of your brain did you drag THAT fiction from???

Funniest thing I've read on the forum this month!!
Gee thanks, I think. Afterall, everyone knows you have the greatest respect for Gen2's. :)

Sacramento Mike,

If you find the link for those add on mirrors, I'd love to get it! I definitely want better rear visibility! As soon as I got on my FJR for the first time, I noticed the poor mirror position and visibility. That may not affect us all in the same way and some may be happy with the stock visibility! But I sure as hell am not!

PS: Is that a VStream windscreen on your bike? Maybe not! I do not see the side flares.

Rheal

As a separate issue, I do have a pair of convex mirrors mounted below my OEMs. I found them here on the forum some time ago, and I really love them. They really show that blind spot just behind and to the side where a passing car can hide. But I still turn my head before making a lane change. These help, but it is my neck after all. Also, these spot mirrors are every bit as useful mounted on the OEMs where I have them as they'd be on FZ-1 stems farther out. They look like this:

th_100_1452.jpg
th_100_1451.jpg

It's been a long time, so I don't know if the old address I had for the guy is still good, but I just tried an email. I'll post if I hear back. Best part of these is you get the wide field but don't sacrifice any of your limited mirror space by sticking another mirror over part of it.
I didn't notice your post for a few days, Rheal. Unfortunately, I emailed the original poster on those mirrors with the addy he gave at the time and he never replied, so I guess he won't. He doesn't post on the forum at all anymore either. This is such a simple and effective product, I can't believe they're not common, but I just now spent a while on the 'net and can't fine anything like them. The closest thing has the swivel on the back of the mirror, so it still blocks part of the OEM mirror. Mine have a little ball-and-socket joint and fasten securely by permanent tape and a self-tapping screw to the bottom of the bike mirror. I'm going to make finding some like them, or finding materials to make them up, a project. Stay tuned.

Oh, and the pics were from his original post--not my bike. But yeah, that's a V-Stream. I have one too. My winter shield.

I think the OP is responsible for the personal responses now being tendered on this thread.
Didn't notice this one for a few days either. There have been some very goofy thoughts expressed on this thread, I agree. But this one . . .

I'M responsible for the crap that's come out on this thread?? Jeez, Mike.

But what are you trying to see, the space directly behind you? A motorcycle in your own wheeltracks two lengths back?
I think this is what I, and perhaps some others, had a problem with. Not what we use, but how we ride. If you have never become the hood ornament of a cager consumed by texting fever, you might not understand the need to sweep the mirrors immediately behind you when you see brake lights ahead. I need to quickly know if I'm going to be testing the ABS or looking for an escape route if things go bad. The FZ mirrors are on my short list.

NOBODY has ever said you MUST use FZ-1 mirrors.
Never one to shirk from a challenge...

Everyone MUST use FZ-1 mirrors (or else you are some kind'a dink) !!

(Does that mean that I am a nobody?)

OK, now that we have taken are of that... carry on! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anybody needs to use FZ-1 mirrors...unless your body blocks your view.

But given both types of mirrors being available to review on a side by side comparison, I don't see how you could sit on a bike with FZ-1 mirrors and PREFER the OEMs. I mean, do you prefer to see less of that behind you? I mean, what sort of logical reasoning would cause you to want to see LESS of the traffic behind you?

That's all I'm saying. If OEMS are good enough for you...fine, I'm happy for you. But don't come on the board and say they're better...unless you can explain yourself (to my satisfaction. :) )

This thread will eventually rival the car tire threads in its usefulness to the general community. By adding my two cents, I'm proving that I don't have a lick of sense, and so maybe the fact that I don't have the FZ-1 mirrors should be taken as a data point in their defense.

In any event, I am not a svelte guy, but might be considered to be width challenged. I don't have any trouble seeing directly behind me with the stock mirrors. I first mentioned in 2008 that I liked the stock mirrors quite well, and was the victim of the usual "teaching activity" that many forum members are only too happy to apply (about the head and ears). I have run 12 new motorcycles through my stable since 2006, and a few used ones to boot. The FJR mirrors may not be the very best I've seen, but by my standard, they are quite good.

FWIW, I've always thought that the reason some don't find it necessary to switch to the FZ-1 mirrors is because they have opposable thumbs and can adjust the stock mirrors to perform quite well. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I've always thought that the reason some don't find it necessary to switch to the FZ-1 mirrors is because they have opposable thumbs and can adjust the stock mirrors to perform quite well. :rolleyes:
Wow...you got me there. :D

How do I get those things? :lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread will eventually rival the car tire threads in its usefulness to the general community. By adding my two cents, I'm proving that I don't have a lick of sense, and so maybe the fact that I don't have the FZ-1 mirrors should be taken as a data point in their defense.

In any event, I am not a svelte guy, but might be considered to be width challenged. I don't have any trouble seeing directly behind me with the stock mirrors. I first mentioned in 2008 that I liked the stock mirrors quite well, and was the victim of the usual "teaching activity" that many forum members are only too happy to apply (about the head and ears). I have run 12 new motorcycles through my stable since 2006, and a few used ones to boot. The FJR mirrors may not be the very best I've seen, but by my standard, they are quite good.

+1

OP said he tried and didn't like the aftermarket mirrors. I bought a pair for my 03' and they were crap. Fuzzy at speed and then they broke first time i tried to pull them in. Then I rode someones FJR with stock FZ-1 mirrors and it was a totally different animal. Smooth and clear, much more sturdy and stable. So if that was your only experience with them you might want to see how the stock FZ-1's work on someone else's bike.

I have extenders on my 07'. They reach out more but their fuzzy again. I'll go back to stock FZ-1s when i get the chance.

Wow...Old Michael on the side?

I am always surprised by the posters on this board! :eek:
Not me. It always reverts to something lower than the lowest common denominator. All this thread needs now is to have some sheep fooking references, maybe some other bestiality, and, of course the obligatory references to who would do whom if they had the chance.

Its all quite predictable. :stinker: