Who Needs FZ-1 Mirrors?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sacramento Mike,

If you find the link for those add on mirrors, I'd love to get it! I definitely want better rear visibility! As soon as I got on my FJR for the first time, I noticed the poor mirror position and visibility. That may not affect us all in the same way and some may be happy with the stock visibility! But I sure as hell am not!

PS: Is that a VStream windscreen on your bike? Maybe not! I do not see the side flares.

Rheal

Here comes a storm of controversy. I realize this goes against the prevailing viewpoint around here and a great wailing and gnashing of teeth will result, but I tried some FZ-1 "knockoffs" a while ago, and despite the fact that they were crap (uneven surface, wouldn't pivot right, etc.) the size, shape, dimensions and positioning of them was EXACTLY like genuine FZ-1 mirrors. But in my opinion, they were no better for seeing where the traffic behind me was than the "stubby" little OEM mirrors on my '05 are.

Everybody complains that they can only see their elbows with OEMs. But what are you trying to see, the space directly behind you? A motorcycle in your own wheeltracks two lengths back? I have my mirrors angled out so I barely see my arms (just enough to give you a reference and know where they're aimed), and then the lanes behind and to the side. A little move of my head gives a wider sweep than that. I do find that the FJR's mirrors, whether OEM or any aftermarket pair I've seen, are too FAR AWAY from the rider to give a wide enough field of view. Other bikes I've had, with the mirrors on posts by the grips, had a field twice as wide or more than the FJR's, just because they were closer to my eyes.

Bottom line is, I don't think you can depend on any mirrors for complete information. You still have to turn and look, you have to move your head from side to side, sometimes even lean forward and closer to the mirrors to increase your field of view. In my opinion, having them stick out farther really doesn't help all that much.

As a separate issue, I do have a pair of convex mirrors mounted below my OEMs. I found them here on the forum some time ago, and I really love them. They really show that blind spot just behind and to the side where a passing car can hide. But I still turn my head before making a lane change. These help, but it is my neck after all. Also, these spot mirrors are every bit as useful mounted on the OEMs where I have them as they'd be on FZ-1 stems farther out. They look like this:

th_100_1452.jpg
th_100_1451.jpg

It's been a long time, so I don't know if the old address I had for the guy is still good, but I just tried an email. I'll post if I hear back. Best part of these is you get the wide field but don't sacrifice any of your limited mirror space by sticking another mirror over part of it.

I've had FZ1 mirrors on both gen1 amd my current gen2. Wouldn't be without them. For me the difference was quite a lot on both bikes. Much safer to see better behind you. Just my 2 cents. ;)

GP
I feel the exact same way. My gen II mirrors were pretty descent, but no match for the field of view I get with the FZ 1 mirrors. This is a great sub $50 mod!

...but nobody can convince me the OEM mirrors are anything compared to FZ1, that is just a mind fuck someone is playing on themselves for whatever reason.
Excellent choice of words.

Like I said, I was happy with stock mirrors for 5 years...then my second bike CAME with the FZ-1 mirrors. No comparison...and I'm not even a wide body anymore.
Excellent choice of words? You must be kidding! I had no idea I was mind-fucking myself because I don't have FZ1 mirrors.

How about arrogant and self-serving, oh and by the way, my FJR can beat up your FJR! Grow up. :angry2:

...but nobody can convince me the OEM mirrors are anything compared to FZ1, that is just a mind fuck someone is playing on themselves for whatever reason.

Like I said, I was happy with stock mirrors for 5 years...then my second bike CAME with the FZ-1 mirrors. No comparison...and I'm not even a wide body anymore.
Excellent choice of words? You must be kidding! I had no idea I was mind-fucking myself because I don't have FZ1 mirrors.

How about arrogant and self-serving, oh and by the way, my FJR can beat up your FJR! Grow up. :angry2:
Sure...you can beat me up, your FJR can beat me up, your daughter can beat my son up...but don't tell me that you PREFER stock mirrors over FZ-1 mirrors as the OP stated. Sure, I lived with OEM mirrors and dealt with it...but I would never have been so dumb, or mindfucked to have said I PREFERED them.

That would have been stoopid.

Sure...you can beat me up, your FJR can beat me up, your daughter can beat my son up...but don't tell me that you PREFER stock mirrors over FZ-1 mirrors as the OP stated. Sure, I lived with OEM mirrors and dealt with it...but I would never have been so dumb, or mindfucked to have said I PREFERED them.

That would have been stoopid.
So, we now have the definitive answer from WheatonFJR. If you ride your FJR and you do not have FZ1 mirrors, you are one

dumb, mind-fucked and "stoopid" FJR owner. Gee, I don't know if I should attend SFO2012 now, for no one will want me there

if I show up with my OEM mirrors. I appologize for being the moron I must surely be according to Wheaton. I'm done. :(

Goddammit...How come I cant find that popcorn smiley from my phone?

Winewhisperer, I think you took a not-so-serious comment just a hair too serious. I also think that what Wheaties is saying is what I said earlier: Some say the FZ1 mirrors are not necessary, but until you try them, you have no idea what you are missing.

I was relatively happy too and didn't understand all the bitching until I saw the difference for myself. No one cares what mirrors you use. Its your bike, do whatever you want to it. For God's sake, look at Patriot's bike. We still hang around with him.

Honestly dude...Chill out. You've been around long enough to not be so thin skinned.

It's quite simple.......

Phat Phuck = FZ-1 mirrors.

Svelte, handsome, adonis = stock mirrors.

Hence why my OEM mirrors work just fine.........

:)

Winewhisperer, I think you took a not-so-serious comment just a hair too serious. I also think that what Wheaties is saying is what I said earlier: Some say the FZ1 mirrors are not necessary, but until you try them, you have no idea what you are missing.

I was relatively happy too and didn't understand all the bitching until I saw the difference for myself. No one cares what mirrors you use. Its your bike, do whatever you want to it. For God's sake, look at Patriot's bike. We still hang around with him.

Honestly dude...Chill out. You've been around long enough to not be so thin skinned.
Hey HotRod, I'm cool and I've responded to other comments Wheatie has made and I have no problems with anyone on this forum,

however, I must admit that I almost made myself cry on that last post. Lets all go ride! :)

Damn it! I was blissfully ignorant with my stock mirrors but now I dont know if Im happy anymore or not. I might have to swap mirrors with the FJR and FZ1 tomorrow to see what Im missing.

Ahh, Fuk it. Who am I kidding; I dont have that much ambition.

Guess I'm with SkooterG. "Svelte, handsome, adonis = stock mirrors."

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey HotRod, I'm cool and I've responded to other comments Wheatie has made and I have no problems with anyone on this forum,

however, I must admit that I almost made myself cry on that last post. Lets all go ride! :)
Haha...Don't cry!

I think the OP is responsible for the personal responses now being tendered on this thread.

NOBODY has ever said you MUST use FZ-1 mirrors. At least not in the short time I've been reading and responding on 4 different FJR websites.

The FZ-1 mirror conversions group was led by ffmedic, IIRC, and that was a loooong loooong time ago in the "green room". It came about, not because of risers as some have opined, but because some FJR riders are not "svelte" like some of the vertically and girth challenged among the ownership.

As I see it, the farkle change to the FZ mirrors was shared information for those who wanted better rear visibility. The major plus for this particular mirror exchange was that the FZ-1 mirrors resemble the mirror assemblies on the Gen I bikes without adding secondary mirror systems.

Personally, with or without risers, over 50% of my mirror view in OEM FJR mirrors is shoulders and arms/elbows, hence MY search for a better view. Couple that with the fact that I (me, myself and only me) LIKE seeing directly behind me, particularly in stop-and-go traffic and at traffic signals or stop signs. It's MY choice and I've never told any other owner they MUST use this farkle.

When someone asks I will gladly demonstrate as I did with TomInCA.

IMO, the shame of this entire thread is that any member would feel a need, assume an insult or choose the option to defend whatever choice they've made as if it's connected to their identity or manhood or ego.

There are certainly life issues worthy of expending great amounts of emotional energy like the member here who've lost loved ones in tragedy, suffered through cancer, healed from serious motorcycle-related injury, those who've lost their employment and have searched or are searching for new avenues to support their family, etc., etc., etc.

Arguing over one's position on whether or not to change mirrors and elevating that argument to name calling and personal judgement about a fellow motorcyclist....not so much.

Admins...why don't you close this thread before it continues to deteriorate and descend farther into the abyss of name calling.

Now I remember why I haven't been spending as much time here...Sheesh!

As I said your bike so your choice of what you do to it.

My issue is when someone argues fact with personal opinion. Opinion is based on many things and those vary from individual to individual. Be it cost or looks or any other personal criteria.

The FACT is the FZ1 mirrors have a much wider and very clear field of vision over the OEM mirrors, period! That FACT is just not debatable it is an absolute.

Now what each person chooses to do to their own bike is based on their choice and style. I personally do not care if you use therm or not, or even paint your bike pink, it does not matter to me I do not have to ride it or make your payments.

I have an issue when someone says they cant be better or have a bigger field of vision when that is not true.

That is why I say it is a mind fuck, for whatever reason you can not see the fact of clear, wider vision with FZ1 mirrors.

As they say, "seeing is believing".

Surely not worth getting feelings hurt over or name calling.

Bah. I had a drop about 10 days ago, at a PGR event, on a loose gravel cemetery road, where the guy pre-scouting the ride decided to route us through a <90 degree corner, right after a large bump in the road, and heading downhill after the corner. Oh, and yeah, let's ride side by side in the cemetery, giving all of us less space to make this corner. Of course, the drop was totally my fault, and thank goodness I had decided to leave my bags at home. The OES slider served well, and the only parts impacted were the right side can and the mirror. Pick up a clean can from Bike Effects, a new slider from OES, and when it came time to get a new mirror. I thought about the FZ1 mirrors. For about three seconds, maybe two... For me, the OEM mirrors have never been a problem, I turn my head all the time when making lane changes, and I think the FZ1 mirrors look like shite. So there is a new OEM mirror coming to me from BoatPartGuys.com, a great source of FJR parts, btw. YMMV.

If I wanted to upgrade my mirrors,I would opt for mounting a set on the handlebaars. Totally agree with the post about fairing mirrors way too foreward on full faired motorcycles.

Despite my svelte (174 lb) size and normal sized ears, I had to tuck my elbows in whenever I wanted to see behind me on my Superior Gen II FJR. I would have been fine with this except for my wife. With her onboard, tucking my elbows in doesn't clear all obstructions to seeing behind me because she is not as svelte as I am. ;) So FZ1 mirrors to the rescue! :yahoo: They really DO provide much more view than stock mirrors.

Despite my svelte (174 lb) size and normal sized ears, I had to tuck my elbows in whenever I wanted to see behind me on my Superior Gen II FJR. I would have been fine with this except for my wife. With her onboard, tucking my elbows in doesn't clear all obstructions to seeing behind me because she is not as svelte as I am. ;) So FZ1 mirrors to the rescue! :yahoo: They really DO provide much more view than stock mirrors.
Harald, I think all your post proved is that your wife doesn't read this forum! :p

Harald, I think all your post proved is that your wife doesn't read this forum! :p
Absolutely right about that! :p My dog house is too small for me to fit into! :lol:

But in her defense, she is kicking butt at the Crossfit gym and eating Paleo and is well on her way to getting rid of that "baby" fat from 18 years ago. Better late than never!

And to keep on topic, I probably won't go back to stock mirrors even if she gets as skinny as a super model. We can't lane split here in WA, so extra (mirror) width is no problem.