Who Was That

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin24

IBA# 446
Reaction score
First on a vaguely unrelated note. My Dad sold his FJR a couple months ago. He's getting on and the bike was just a bit too big and heavy for him. But he has been chompin at the bit to get another smaller bike. Well he finally zero'd in one what he wanted and found a nice 2009 FZ6R a couple hours away from him.

So of course I offered to drive down the day before to his place to give him a hand driving to pick it up. Within two hours of that decision the bike was packed and I was heading down the highway. A quick 3 hour ride from my place near Ottawa Ontario to the parents place near Toronto Ontario.

Halfway there I am on the 401 at Kingston and coming up on an FJR. Hmmm.

Get a bit closer and I see he has a vanity plate. Hmmm.

Get a bit closer still and the plate is "IBR2K". Oh my....

Pulled up alongside and motioned to the J&M CB on his handlebar. Took him a moment to fiddle and get it turned on but we were able to chat for a moment. Turns out that yes indeed he has run a couple Iron Butt Rallys.

Problem is all this was happening just as he was trying to get jammed in a line of traffic to grab the next off ramp. I sorta followed so I wouldn't go out of CB range. Turns out he had just driven in from Maine and was just hopping off to grab a room at a Motel 6.

Would have loved to stop and chat more with him but I got the distinct impression he was "on the clock" still after a long day and seemed focused on getting into his room. So I bid adue and spun around and hopped back on the highway.

He mentioned his name but since I was in the middle of dealing with traffic as well I ended up forgetting it (Doh) and realized after I never him my name. I think the plates were NY plates (but I could be wrong on that). But I am sure that it was IBR2K. Pretty sure the bike was a FJR Gen II and had a custom windshield or tuning block in the windshield.

So, here's the question. Anybody know who it was a bumped into? And if they are on the forum here?

And of course the follow on, where was he going. Can't help but think that since he had just driven from Maine and was rather focused on getting to the hotel that he was likely on the clock for a 4-corners run. (OR maybe a 50CC the _really_ hard way, Maine To Washington)

Personally, I'm just thinking it was kinda Kewl to bump into another IBR Vet who also had a CB so we could chat a moment. (albiet for a very brief period of time).

Oh and the bike for my Dad. Picked up today and just got back. We each took it for a quick spin. Kinda cool little bike. Its one of the Bright Yellow and black models, so it certainly is easy to pick out in a parking lot! He's already thinking of it as his little FJR. :)

- Colin