Who's doing the 1088?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
I'm leaving Thursday morning for the 26hr 1088, sort of a preview of WFO. Any of you guys planning to be there?

tel

Third appearance here. Leaving late, late Wednesday and hopefully roll in around noon or so to catch a nap before the BBQ. I know Warchild and Skooterg are going.....think vectervp1 might be going. FJRs and forum members represented well last year. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be there but once again I will be on my BMW 12OOgs. Maybe the FJR will be ready for the Spank !

Third appearance here. Leaving late, late Wednesday and hopefully roll in around noon or so to catch a nap before the BBQ. I know Warchild and Skooterg are going.....think vectervp1 might be going. FJRs and forum members represented well last year. ;)

Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be making it this year. I've got a very limited amount of time off, and had to choose only two rally's this year. I chose the Cal24 and the SPANK rally. Next year I should have less commitments, and plan on doing the Utah 1088 and if GZ decides to put on another 5 day rally, I'll be doing that. If there is no multi day SPANK next year, I'll probably take on the LOE 1000, or possibly look at one of the other multi day rallys out there.

Hope to roll in to SLC mid afternoon Thursday ...that assumes I can avoid work Thurs Morning.

My first 1088, my first rally, my first time that I've made Utah a destination for sinning. (well there was that dressing farm animals up in women's cothing incident, but I was young on on peyote at the time)

This'll be a cherry-popper for me, so I'll be watching you veterans very closely and learning. But, make no mistake, this nevada hick is coming to have some good silly fun.

So, throw me some advice for this galla ..to add to the other advice that I've been getting :rolleyes: , ...is it true that newbies have to bring cigars for everyone at the BBQ? Is it true that their is a urinalysis/drug test done during tech inspection? Does Iggy show newbies how to enter four different formats of coordinates into their GPS's? Is it true that newbies get the rally packet an hour early -but I have to be sure to ask.

...and what about all those neighboring states -six of them ....geeze, lots of possible crazyness and fun to be had

I'm tactically and emotionally ill-prepared for what may happen this weekend .....Fear and Loathing in Utah keeps popping up in my dreams ....

Advice?

Yep, I plan on departing Wednesday afternoon to do a little scouting in northern Nevada before dashing over to the Start Line in Salt Lake City. Oughta arrive early enough Thursday to catch a few zzzzz's before heading over to the BBQ.

Although it seems I have just a few maintenance items left to do on the Blackbird before Wednesday afternoon.... :eek:

pre_Utah1088.jpg

Yep, I plan on departing Wednesday afternoon to do a little scouting in northern Nevada before dashing over to the Start Line in Salt Lake City. Oughta arrive early enough Thursday to catch a few zzzzz's before heading over to the BBQ.
Although it seems I have just a few maintenance items left to do on the Blackbird before Wednesday afternoon.... :eek:

pre_Utah1088.jpg
Geezzz.. Dale, for a second there I thought you were back in George's kitchen ..... :blink:

Hope to roll in to SLC mid afternoon Thursday ...that assumes I can avoid work Thurs Morning.
My first 1088, my first rally, my first time that I've made Utah a destination for sinning. (well there was that dressing farm animals up in women's cothing incident, but I was young on on peyote at the time)

This'll be a cherry-popper for me, so I'll be watching you veterans very closely and learning. But, make no mistake, this nevada hick is coming to have some good silly fun.

So, throw me some advice for this galla ..to add to the other advice that I've been getting :rolleyes: , ...is it true that newbies have to bring cigars for everyone at the BBQ? Is it true that their is a urinalysis/drug test done during tech inspection? Does Iggy show newbies how to enter four different formats of coordinates into their GPS's? Is it true that newbies get the rally packet an hour early -but I have to be sure to ask.

...and what about all those neighboring states -six of them ....geeze, lots of possible crazyness and fun to be had

I'm tactically and emotionally ill-prepared for what may happen this weekend .....Fear and Loathing in Utah keeps popping up in my dreams ....

Advice?
You'll have a blast! I did it last year and wish I could have done it again this year!

pre_Utah1088.jpg

Geezzz.. Dale, for a second there I thought you were back in George's kitchen ..... :blink:
This past weekend was supposed to be another BBG3K warm-up run, but only the first BBG got done.... had a fuel pump failure that prevented the two 5.2 gallon side tanks from transferring fuel to the main tank. This proved to be a huge issue, because it forced me to do twice as many fuel stops as I normally would. It's still not clear what happened.... it is possible it got itself in a "vapor-lock" condition.

Still yet another problem occurred with the HID lamp in the stock low-beam housing.... it appears that a relay has gone wonky on me.

So even though I still wrapped up the first BBG in 19 hours, I decided to forgo the second BBG to bring the bike home early for repairs (which is why it looks like it does in this photo.... nose of the bike had to come off to get to the HID relay.)

Still and all, it's not that I need the aux fuel pump situation corrected before leaving for the Utah 1088, as I won't be carrying the side tanks for that event. The Utah 1088 has the usual 11.50 gallon limit rule, so I'll only be using the aux gravity cell anyway.

But to have a mission-critical system failure like that, particularly within the first 200 miles of a 3000-mile run, was mentally devastating. See, this is why I normally advocate gravity-fed aux fuel systems! :angry2:

3 of the 4 are true. You just have to figure out which ones they are. :devil:

...Hopefully, I'll be able to post a bit while I'm there in My Blog. A bonus this year is that Chalmers is offering to let people use digital cameras instead of Polaroids. This has the upside potential of us being able to keep and post some decent pictures of the adventure!

Last edited by a moderator:
So what about Skyway and/or SkooterG? :huh:

Although I know vectervp1 and beeroux won't be there this year, I thought had more FJRForum representation....
shrug.gif

Although I know vectervp1 and beeroux won't be there this year, I thought had more FJRForum representation....
shrug.gif
I won't be making it this year either. This being an IBR year and all my wallet is pretty skimpy for a bunch o' them rally things.

dougc

So what about Skyway and/or SkooterG? :huh:
shrug.gif
I will not be there, but I know SkooterG will. I hope to attend next year.

I will not be there, but I know SkooterG will. I hope to attend next year.

Just verified with SkooterG that he's gonna be there.

Dang, sounds like lots of folks I know aint gonna be there this year. Oh well, hopefully everyone will return next year like I'm planning on doing.

It'll be good to see some of you guys later this week.

RenoJohn - Just take it easy and enjoy what is one of the most beautiful states in the US. I'm sure the 26hr format will either require or suggest a rest bonus. My advice is to take it in the wee hours. My first rally was a disaster, made just about every mistake a noob could make. Read the instructions is good advice, would have helped me. Caught the bug, though. There's a good chance you could beat Warchild on points but you won't beat the miles he'll do. Not a chance in hell.

Anybody know if we can use both digital and polaroid?

I won't be there till Friday, so see you guys then.

tel

Anybody know if we can use both digital and polaroid?
Do like I and reread the packet tonight or tomorrow and hopefully the answer is in there. If not, it's a question for Steven on Thursday or Friday.

I'm gearing up for digital....and a backup digital. No Polaroid.

What I'm going to look for is whether he returns the cards with data on them or not.....I'm hoping so and can't imagine why he'd delete anything, but would like to make sure.

I'm leaving Thursday morning for the 26hr 1088, sort of a preview of WFO. Any of you guys planning to be there?
tel
I should roll in mid day on Friday. This will be my first 1088 since 2001 and the last rally before the big ride in August. My Red Bull aux fuel catchment system just got put in place tonight. I think I'm ready for tech.

Paul Peloquin

Monmouth OR

Do like I and reread the packet tonight or tomorrow and hopefully the answer is in there. If not, it's a question for Steven on Thursday or Friday.
I was doing same yesterday and the following phrase caught my attention: "tracking and trapping skills." I'm bringing a compass, .22 rifle, skinning knife, and topo maps of the entire state.