Who's doing the 1088?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was doing same yesterday and the following phrase caught my attention: "tracking and trapping skills." I'm bringing a compass, .22 rifle, skinning knife, and topo maps of the entire state.

Also be prepared to do at least 25 pushups, a common 1088 Boni.

Last edited by a moderator:
I B There!

Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be making it this year.

Sweet Jebus!!!!

Perhaps now my FJR will be able to survive parking lots without kissing the ground thanks to dufus-assisted moronic antics.

I B There!

Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be making it this year.

Sweet Jebus!!!!

Perhaps now my FJR will be able to survive parking lots without kissing the ground thanks to dufus-assisted moronic antics....that only pale in comparison to my own acts of playa surfing.

dramaqn.jpg
I fixed it for you. ;)

Perhaps now my FJR will be able to survive parking lots without kissing the ground thanks to dufus-assisted moronic antics.
Are you bringing the "Playa Bouncer", or are you finally going to start bringing that newer FJR?

Me, I'm making splendid headway on piecing the Blackbird back together...... see, the front tire is re-installed! :lol:

june18.jpg

I fixed it for you. ;)
Gee. Thanks Iggy! :fuck:

Are you bringing the "Playa Bouncer", or are you finally going to start bringing that newer FJR?

Why, the Playa DANCER of course! That FJR has character! I mean, who would you rather ride? - Clint Eastwood? Or Justin Timberlake? Ok, so maybe that didn't come out right. :unsure:

And Dale, may I suggest you get off your ass and get some work done? I mean, not WORK, but some quality time with your Dos Equis?

And Dale, may I suggest you get off your ass and get some work done? I mean, not WORK, but some quality time with your Dos Equis?
Oh, I've been cranking on it, no worries there. If you look close in that photo, you'll see some unusually clean front calipers and ABM rotors....spent a looooong time last night just on the front end of the XX.... cleaned the calipers, rotors, new brake pads, fork oil, etc, etc. Also installed a new Sigma sensor bracket on the front left fork that is *extremely* trick..... B)

And Dale, may I suggest you get off your ass and get some work done?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh god, this sound soooooo funny coming from you of all people!
Too true!

Pot. Kettle. Black. :lol:

pre_Utah1088.jpg
This past weekend was supposed to be another BBG3K warm-up run, but only the first BBG got done.... had a fuel pump failure that prevented the two 5.2 gallon side tanks from transferring fuel to the main tank. This proved to be a huge issue, because it forced me to do twice as many fuel stops as I normally would. It's still not clear what happened.... it is possible it got itself in a "vapor-lock" condition.

Still yet another problem occurred with the HID lamp in the stock low-beam housing.... it appears that a relay has gone wonky on me.
Hi-jack

SEE, Thats why you should be running the FJR on this run :p

And Whats with the Colostomy bag hanging on the front of the bike?

Jack Over.

I mean, who would you rather ride? - Clint Eastwood? Or Justin Timberlake? Ok, so maybe that didn't come out right.
Did you mean ridden by?? :huh: :blink: :huh:

Well, this rally-virgin has passed around the hat ...soliciting free advice. That hat has come back full and now it is time to put the advice into practice. More importantly, time to put the rubber to the road.

Thanks to all those who have coached me on this first Rally ....you know who you are and I'm going to break my ass over in Utah to show my appreciation for your generositiy in sharing your wisdom, fun and silliness.

Let me tell the rest of you ....this nevada hick is coming ready to have some fun. I'll be riding hard, riding smart (more difficult for me) and doin' it all with a smile.

Look forward to seeing you guys, sharing some fun and enjoying that state ..and who knows how many of it's neighboring states.

...I'll be out of here tomorrow(wednesday) evening ...destination Wendover. ....I plan to remodel that town with all of nevada's finest sinning tools ....then Thursday across the state line into Utah USA.

Oh, and Matt, that training suggestion to abstain from sex 3 days before the start .....after seeing SkooterG's post about "Riding Clint and Justin" ....well, .....let me just say .......... Ain't no brokeback rider in my saddle. LOL LOL

Oh, and Matt, that training suggestion to abstain from sex 3 days before the start .....after seeing SkooterG's post about "Riding Clint and Justin" ....well, .....let me just say .......... Ain't no brokeback rider in my saddle. LOL LOL
Me? I don't know what kind of flim-flam these alleged veterans might have been feeding you offline [SIZE=8pt][clears throat]including me[/clears throat][/SIZE], but I think the best summary of the many theories on how to do these rallies was on a t-shirt by one of the Minnesota Wrecking Crew in the '05 IBR.

[SIZE=18pt]Ride harder, not smarter.[/SIZE]
The wearer of the shirt was actually sporting an o-ring for an ear ring (presumably fuel resistant).....so it could be advice.......or could be a cautionary tale.

Reno John.

PAY ATTENTION at the riders meeting, and WAIT till the meeting is almost over before asking the inevitable "stupid question". Chances are, someone else will ask your same question and THEY will be holding the rock, not you. Dig?

And after getting 2nd last year, Marbach the Silver Playa Surfer has only one place to go.

NUMBA 1!

Good luck Greg.

Its a bummer, but the RM and me are oil and water. I'm not alone in this, you'll notice a few faces absent for good.

No biggie, have a great ride everyone!

GZ

Reno John.
PAY ATTENTION at the riders meeting, and WAIT till the meeting is almost over before asking the inevitable "stupid question". Chances are, someone else will ask your same question and THEY will be holding the rock, not you. Dig?
hey George ...thanks for the advice. I've done asked a lot of silly questions to anyone who would entertain them ....Now I'm in listen and observation mode.

Damn, can't tell you how excited I am to "Rally" a whole new arena for me and I'll be watching all the veterans very closely for all the best practices and smart techniques. I've already got my gear on and mom double-knotted my boot laces so I'm good to go for the weekend.

It'll be groovy to see some of these guys that I haven't met yet too.

thanks for the pointers .....

I'll be there, but another one w/o an FJR. I'll be on the bumblebee (1150GSA). Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Just got a few hours sleep and going to try and sneak through Oregon under the cover of darkness. Hope to hit SLC by noon!

Just got a few hours sleep and going to try and sneak through Oregon under the cover of darkness. Hope to hit SLC by noon!
Got out of reno this evening ....dinner with Brian Roberts in Fernley....and landed in Wendover 3:00a .......just a few hundred yards from Utah ....a little Nevada-style fun and sinning tonight and Salt Lake City tomorrow .....I'll have a cold one waiting for you.