Why am I selling the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
A few have asked me why I am selling the FJR. Rather than writing several PM response I'll put it out here for all to see.

First, it is not because the bike is bad or anything. It has to do more with the fact that I ride 2 up 95 % of the time towing a trailer. The FJR is a good bike, but the Goldwing is much better towing platform. The torque the wing has is made for towing. The trailer has no affect on the wing. Probably due to the size and weight of the wing. A big factor is the fact the gold wing has an anti dive feature that links the rear brakes to the front shock so when the brakes are applied, the bike doesn't pitch forward to load the front wheel as the rear brake is applied by the anti dive device.

After a long day of riding the twisties I am not sore or tired. The riding position is straight up and down, feels great on the back and shoulders, and there is NO vibration in the handle bars, so my wrists are very happy.

The wing is surprisingly agile for it's size and weight. I am sure the suspension upgrades I did to it are the reason why. The grunt from the torque pulls very nicely out of corners, where the FJR needs RPM to get the same pull out of corners. When braking into corners, the wing doesn't get that push the FJR does from the weight of the trailer. It leans over a lot further than I expected before anything drags and is very planted feeling in the corners. Anyone who has ridden with us knows we look for twisty roads, the more the better. I am not a slab fan, but sometimes the trip dictates that is the route needed to get to the place we are going so we can spend maximum time there before heading back. I did not ride the new DCT wings since I was not looking for that new of a bike, so I have no idea how they feel or ride.

I talked with FJRay about his wing and what his thoughts were. Ray recommended 06-10 wings because the price was very reasonable and the bikes were very good. I found a 2006 GL1800P (the base model) wing for $7K with 50K miles on it at a local dealer. I have put another $2K in suspension upgrades, and farkles to make it comfortable. I have a few more to do, one to manage heat better, the seat definitely needs to be done. So I will have another $1500 to do. I did dark side it, due to trailering and the fact that we have a few long distance trips planned over the next few years (as in east coast, and Alaska again).

I don't need two touring bikes sitting in the garage. And frankly the FJR would not get ridden much since we have the wing to tow with now. I decided to sell it fully farkled as it is set up to easily do long distances for fun or as a rally platform.

Lastly, Yamaha doing away with the FJR after 2020 kind of soured me. I was considering getting an new one in a year or two once the youngest was out of college. They helped make my decision easier to switch. I'll still do tech meets once this COVID bullshit is done. And I will still be active here and the other sandbox. Just gonna be riding a Honda for a while.

I had a 2003 GL1800 for 13 years. Put 140,000 miles on it. Loved it. 

Over the same time frame I put about another 70,000 miles on sport bikes. 

This time around I wanted something "sportier" so I bought the 2020 FJR1300ES. LOVE IT! I do also have an R1. 

I will likely buy another Wing once I retire. Ultimate traveling machines.

27-F6881-B-90-C4-4-F45-9-B1-B-51-D8819000-AE.jpg
Some days I miss my FJR. I rode a Wing once and just felt it was just too big for my needs. So I went the other way and scaled down, and bought a 2012 Bonneville. I have “FJR’d” it a bit, adding a top case, Givi side bags and a small windscreen and my Zumo 550.

Been very happy with it. 

A few have asked me why I am selling the FJR. Rather than writing several PM response I'll put it out here for all to see.

First, it is not because the bike is bad or anything. It has to do more with the fact that I ride 2 up 95 % of the time towing a trailer. The FJR is a good bike, but the Goldwing is much better towing platform. The torque the wing has is made for towing. The trailer has no affect on the wing. Probably due to the size and weight of the wing. A big factor is the fact the gold wing has an anti dive feature that links the rear brakes to the front shock so when the brakes are applied, the bike doesn't pitch forward to load the front wheel as the rear brake is applied by the anti dive device.

After a long day of riding the twisties I am not sore or tired. The riding position is straight up and down, feels great on the back and shoulders, and there is NO vibration in the handle bars, so my wrists are very happy.

The wing is surprisingly agile for it's size and weight. I am sure the suspension upgrades I did to it are the reason why. The grunt from the torque pulls very nicely out of corners, where the FJR needs RPM to get the same pull out of corners. When braking into corners, the wing doesn't get that push the FJR does from the weight of the trailer. It leans over a lot further than I expected before anything drags and is very planted feeling in the corners. Anyone who has ridden with us knows we look for twisty roads, the more the better. I am not a slab fan, but sometimes the trip dictates that is the route needed to get to the place we are going so we can spend maximum time there before heading back. I did not ride the new DCT wings since I was not looking for that new of a bike, so I have no idea how they feel or ride.

I talked with FJRay about his wing and what his thoughts were. Ray recommended 06-10 wings because the price was very reasonable and the bikes were very good. I found a 2006 GL1800P (the base model) wing for $7K with 50K miles on it at a local dealer. I have put another $2K in suspension upgrades, and farkles to make it comfortable. I have a few more to do, one to manage heat better, the seat definitely needs to be done. So I will have another $1500 to do. I did dark side it, due to trailering and the fact that we have a few long distance trips planned over the next few years (as in east coast, and Alaska again).

I don't need two touring bikes sitting in the garage. And frankly the FJR would not get ridden much since we have the wing to tow with now. I decided to sell it fully farkled as it is set up to easily do long distances for fun or as a rally platform.

Lastly, Yamaha doing away with the FJR after 2020 kind of soured me. I was considering getting an new one in a year or two once the youngest was out of college. They helped make my decision easier to switch. I'll still do tech meets once this COVID bullshit is done. And I will still be active here and the other sandbox. Just gonna be riding a Honda for a while.

I totally understand. Not every bike works for everyone. The FJR is IMO , the best bike for me because it is a sport/ tourer. More touring than sport. I ride with guys and gals that are very good on true sport bikes. I can't do what they do because the fjr was never meant to be a true track bike. But for me it's perfect. Have fun and good luck with the sale.

Wait! Auburn without an FJR in the stable? That would just feel kind of weird. What is this world coming too?

Just kidding, of course. We all move on to new things. Best of luck. Enjoy

August 13, 2020. Now there is more to the story of the sale & who he sold it to.
The rest of the story...

I sold the FJR to a guy from England who was coming over to ride in the Iron Butt Rally in 2021. COVID got in the way for him and he had to withdraw from the rally. I still have it stored in the garage for him. He is coming over late in April to pick up the bike and tour around the US.

I ended up buying a second Goldwing. It is FJRay & Patti's bike. We are setting it up for LD riding exactly like my black one. It will get ridden in the LDX rally this year in June.

So is said English lad going to try to do the IBR this year? That would be pretty awesome.

Even if not, just a transcontinental fly and ride is pretty awesome.

So is said English lad going to try to do the IBR this year? That would be pretty awesome.

Even if not, just a transcontinental fly and ride is pretty awesome.
Yes, he has applied for 2023. Actually, I hope the IBR staff take all those that had to withdraw due to travel restrictions in 2021 add those entries on top of what they normally would draw. Makes a larger than normal field, but won't penalize those trying to get in.

I ended up buying a second Goldwing. It is FJRay & Patti's bike. We are setting it up for LD riding exactly like my black one. It will get ridden in the LDX rally this year in June.
Love hearing the bike is remaining the PNW family!!!

My stable matched yours Auburn. I just recently got a trailer to pull behind my '06 Wing. We rode 2-up and pulled it to the JAX event a couple weeks ago. The wing isn't even phased with the trailer back there. I told the wife she can pack whatever she wanted, LOL. I keep my '16 FJR for solo riding/rallying. See you in Cheyenne in a few months.

Sorry to say I had to join this fraternity :(

Two years ago I sold my FJR. I was 74 at the time and it was time. . . I do miss riding - my avatar shows where I've ridden. Almost a million miles in 50+ years of riding.
The FJR was just too big for me now and I don't do 1000 mi days anymore. Kind of looking at something in the 750 range. . .

Enjoy the ride!

Sorry to say I had to join this fraternity :(

Two years ago I sold my FJR. I was 74 at the time and it was time. . . I do miss riding - my avatar shows where I've ridden. Almost a million miles in 50+ years of riding.
The FJR was just too big for me now and I don't do 1000 mi days anymore. Kind of looking at something in the 750 range. . .

Enjoy the ride!
Yamaha makes a couple of really good ones that several have gone to for a lighter bike.

Yamaha makes a couple of really good ones that several have gone to for a lighter bike.
I expect I will hang onto my FJR for now but something smaller, lighter and more suited to less pristine roads may be the ticket for me. Dual sport "Adventure" style with enough oomph to handle highway speeds all day, if necessary.

Interesting accounts why folks either move up to bigger bikes or downsize. In June I turn 80 years old and am conflicted as to how long I want to continue riding the FJR. My routine is two 3000 mile rides each year. Spring rides into the southwest states and fall rides into the northwest states. I ride one up with another FJR owner who has been a riding friend for the past 14 years. I feel confident on the bike and my health is very good. I keep fit by working out at the gym three times weekly and do a lot of 5-15 mile hikes. I enjoy and appreciate the topics posted and discussed on the Forum and would like to hear from those of you who have experienced a similar situation relative to age and riding acuity.

Attachments

• 7F2691D4-7544-48A2-89ED-75EDEFF2AF19.jpeg
    7F2691D4-7544-48A2-89ED-75EDEFF2AF19.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
Art at 80 you are an inspiration. Currently 69 post cancer,chemo and radiation in 2019 and left with Peripheral Neuropathy from the treatments I'm still battling to find my new normal. Gained back 30 or so pounds of the 70 I lost and not feeling as frail and weak as I did. In 2020 and 2021 I was able to do some riding but nowhere near what I used to. Bike is still in winter storage at my brother in law's though I plan on picking it up soon as the weather steadies a bit (I hate the cold). I can't wait to see how this season goes. I love riding and will fight to ride as long as I can. It's part of what makes me, me. 😉