Why down to 800 cc?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind the 500s were 2-strokes when making the power/displacement comparisons!
True -- altho, (who knows?) there may be 2-stokes again. When MotoGP began, it took almost twice the size 4-stroke to be on par with the 2-strokes -- now it only takes an 800. Way back in 1957 the 500cc MotoGuzzi 4-stroke GrandPrix racer went 172mph and 2-strokes were hardly considered ('Deeks' excepted). In 1979 when Honda had the NR500 they (4-strokes and 2-strokes) were close to par (not quite). Maybe, with technology like BRP's ETEC, 2-strokes will be used again -- they're still valid in snowmobiles.

.....and the #1 reason they wanted to bring down the top speed...... tires.It had nothing to do with current crash rates on the straights. It had to do with the probability of crashes on the straights.

Remember Matt Mladin and Ben Spies on those things they call Dunlops? :)
And...Barry Sheene's crash at Dayton in '75 on his Suzuki at 178mph -- on a Dunlop.

Tires -- you're right about that. Part of the reason that the west banking isn't used anymore and the 200 is an FX race.
Don't mean to be picky, but the Sheene crash was due to a gear box siezure. ;)

Don't mean to be picky, but the Sheene crash was due to a gear box siezure. ;)
Well, that never was fully 'outed' -- it was also blamed on a failed engine part. Sheene, himself, never refuted the tire failure. Those who saw it (or saw the vid) saw the tire explode.

I guess we'll never know for sure? :unsure:

(Edit) Note to self: I probably shoudn't be discussing 'Sheene' things w/someone from "Bazza's" homeland...... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Edit) Note to self: I probably shoudn't be discussing 'Sheene' things w/someone from "Bazza's" homeland...... :)
On the vid it shows the back wheel lock and go sideways. Watched it many times. I distinctly remember the reason as it was a question in a quiz on a sports TV show some time afterwards, Sheene was being interviewed. The prize was the gloves he wore in a later GP. Being the smart ass that I am I thought no-one will know that, I get the gloves here for sure. I didn't..... :angry: You got the speed spot on 178mph.

:D :D :D

....where did he lose it?
French G.P., 1980. Others have suffered the same fate -- but none so famously as No.7. I heard that there were actually 'Replica' gloves for sale!

BTW, in an interview done in June 1980, Sheene still blamed the Dunlop for the Daytona incident. Whatever..... :unsure:

Not the first guy to blame a tire.... :blink: :)

Believe it or not, I have found it on Youtube

If you look at the freeze pic you can see thet the bike has gone sideways but the tyre is still inflated. He says the back wheel locked solid and he pulled in the clutch because he thought the engine had seized but it did't free off. Pulling the clutch in would do nothing if it were the gear box. With the wheel locked obviously at that speed the tyre would wear through and deflate pretty quickly, posibly giving rise to the impression that the tyre burst.

He doesn't actually say that it was the gearbox. You've got me going now! We have friends who are close with the Smart's (Paul Smart is married to Barry's sister). I will ask the question. ;)

Talking of fingers Jonathon Rea Irish World Supersport rookie did (dont look if you are squeemish) THIS in the first race of the year 2 weeks ago. He put off surgery so that he could race last weekend at Philip Island, he came 6th. STORY

Fingers & toes

Randy Renfrow!

The diminutive Virginian was one of the most widely liked riders in the paddock, a consummate professional who was always honest about his riding and never fabricated excuses for his results. Renfrow, who won three AMA road racing titles in his 22-year, non-continuous career, announced his retirement more than once, always returning to the sport he loved, despite being injured seriously more than once. The crash most people remember came at Willow Springs Raceway in 1991. Renfrow was taking part in Honda test session when he hit the turn eight dip and lost control. His hand got caught in the rear of his Honda and he lost his thumb. Undeterred, Renfrow had his big toe surgically removed and attached in place of his thumb.

...I'm just getting into motogp and trying to understand more about it.
Dude, be absolutely certain to watch Faster and The Doctor, The Tornado, and the Kentuck Kid.

And if you have a wifey, watch them with her. Thise vids were a great intro to MotoGP, and because Fang got to know the riders through those vids (how she thought they were, you know, cute) she now has been watching MotoGP with me for three years and knows all the riders and their stories. She doesn't watch any other racing with me (AMA or WSBK); only MotoGP because she knows the riders.

Rossi in Faster describing the 500-cc pure race machines (paraphrasing): "The first time you get on a MotoGP bike....fuuuuuuuuuuuuk......"

Jb

P.S. Thanks for asking about the 800 cc change. I was wondering about that too. And BTW--The world starts to turn again this Sunday!!!! Go Nicky, Colin, and Hopper! :yahoo:

Undeterred, Renfrow had his big toe surgically removed and attached in place of his thumb.
Had a carpenter who worked for me who had that done several years before I met him. It looked normal at first glance and worked suprisingly well.

P.S. Thanks for asking about the 800 cc change. I was wondering about that too. And BTW--The world starts to turn again this Sunday!!!! Go Nicky, Colin, and Hopper! :yahoo:
We are counting down the minutes, particularly as James Toseland is on fire. We expected to be breaking out the bubbly if he got into the top ten by the end of the season. I am secretly hoping for a podium.

There are mixed revues in our press on the lighting for the night races at Qatar. Rossi does not like it, and although hot-shot Stoner is using a black visor other riders say that the shadows are sometimes distracting.