Why I 985 is a bad idea for WA riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
Posting here to target WA riders, as it didn't fit anywhere else and target only WA riders.

I read this WA ballot initiative in more detail last night, and while most of us may vote against it because it creates funding and installation for red light cameras, my bigger problem was it opens up the HOV carpool lanes to all traffic (except from 6-9a and 3-6p).

IMHO for riders, this is a BAD idea.

First, HOV lanes are already widely available in many places after 7 pm, when traffic is lessened.

Second and most important, during daylight hours, a reserved lane is simply that much safer for us riders. Imagine single occupancy nuts rolling in and out of these lanes during daytime riding hours. In many places, road traffic is pretty constant from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (not to mention weekends).

If you had considered supporting Initiative 985 for other reasons, please rethink your support as a rider. If you hadn't considered whether to vote for or against it, please reconsider.

NO ON I 985. Spread the word.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this WA ballot initiative in more detail last night, and while most of us may vote against it because it creates funding and installation for red light cameras, my bigger problem was it opens up the HOV carpool lanes to all traffic (except from 6-9a and 3-6p).
Are you sure about it CREATING funding for red light cameras to catch MOTORCYCLISTS running red lights? It's my understanding that this initiative will take the funding away from cities when they catch motorists (including MOTORCYCLISTS) running red lights and transfers the fines to the state for road improvements. So there will actually be no incentive for cities to install red light cameras that might catch MOTORCYCLISTS accidentally running a red light unless they were truly concerned with safety and not just increased city revenue.

At any rate, I agree that more cars clogging car pool lanes does create extra hazard for us daily FJR commuters. Besides loving to ride my FJR, the car pool lane is one of the reasons that I commute year 'round including the cold and rain for most of the year. Speaking of which, what the hell were the weather people smoking yesterday? I checked the forecast last night and it showed a week of nice weather so I decided it was time for my semi-annual bike wash. My wash job lasted all of 10 hours (while the bike sat in the garage overnight) until I rolled down my driveway at 0445 and into the rain! At least I felt safe riding up Highway 167 in the carpool lane with no yahoos daring to cross the dreaded, illegal to cross, double white lines into my lane.

Am I still OK, Iggy? I mentioned motorcycles and the FJR numerous times in my post! :yahoo:

Am I still OK, Iggy? I mentioned motorcycles and the FJR numerous times in my post! :yahoo:
Stellar job. ;) They were well considered points that actually did pertain to motorcycles...as opposed to what often happens in these types of threads where people want to rant wildly about life's woes and try and tack on some esoteric motorcycle point to try and sneak the camel into the tent.

I agree. There's a few reasons to vote against it, but one of the most compelling is keeping fewer vehicles out of the car pool lane to reduce the chance of getting pasted by blind lane changes from cages. The State's reasoning for allowing motorcycles in the car pool lanes in the first place is for safety. It is felt that it's much safer to have the motorcycles moving in the car pool lane than getting rear ended in jams. So, keep us moving in a lane with fewer cages, keep us a little safer - no on I 985.

Are you sure about it CREATING funding for red light cameras to catch MOTORCYCLISTS running red lights? It's my understanding that this initiative will take the funding away from cities when they catch motorists (including MOTORCYCLISTS) running red lights and transfers the fines to the state for road improvements. So there will actually be no incentive for cities to install red light cameras that might catch MOTORCYCLISTS accidentally running a red light unless they were truly concerned with safety and not just increased city revenue.

At any rate, I agree that more cars clogging car pool lanes does create extra hazard for us daily FJR commuters. Besides loving to ride my FJR, the car pool lane is one of the reasons that I commute year 'round including the cold and rain for most of the year. Speaking of which, what the hell were the weather people smoking yesterday? I checked the forecast last night and it showed a week of nice weather so I decided it was time for my semi-annual bike wash. My wash job lasted all of 10 hours (while the bike sat in the garage overnight) until I rolled down my driveway at 0445 and into the rain! At least I felt safe riding up Highway 167 in the carpool lane with no yahoos daring to cross the dreaded, illegal to cross, double white lines into my lane.

+1

Edit: O

OPPS..forgot to say this is advantagous to FJR's..sorry

My FJR told me it would like the car pool lane to be a car pool lane 24/7. I ride/drive a van pool and I really don't care about the cages who are sitting in traffic.

And what's wrong with slipping in a camel toe or two?

Oops! Never mind. I read it wrong.

One of the advantages to motorcyclists in I 985 is the requirement that cities initiate timed light systems. This will keep traffic flowing and might tend to reduce rear end accidents. Seems like a pretty decent toss-up to me. I seldom ride in the HOV lane. There's always some sleeper driving 55 in it.

I won't vote for it either. I seriously doubt it will ever become law even if passed. As before , it contains multiple items such as funding, use of lanes and a few others. The last proposal that was passed along those lines was struck down by the courts for that reason.

I'll take the other side of the argument. In Oregon there is only one small stretch of HOV lane, on I-5 North from just north of downtown Portland continuing only a few miles up to the WA border. Yes, when I ride in it I worry about the cages moving over into the lane. But it's really no more dangerous than any other situations on a bike. You watch for items of concern and you deal with them.

As a business person who needs to go into Portland on a regular basis, making lots of stops at clients, a bike just doesn't work, especially if carrying computers and accessories for delivery. So when the HOV lane time-restrictions happen (3pm-6pm weekdays) the two non-HOV lanes get all backed up while only a minimal count of vehicles are in the HOV lane. WA had an HOV lane on I-5 going south headed to Portland for a short time (just a trial) and not enough cars used it to make it worthwhile. If I could pay to use the HOV lane I'd be all over it. It would just become a business expense, and at my hourly rate my clients would gladly pay it.

If somebody really wanted to do something (at least in the Portland and Seattle metro areas) that would benefit motorcycle riders they should work on getting lane-splitting legalized.

Will not vote for it.

HOV lanes are social management tool to get people to stop using multiperson vechicles as a single person vehicle. With bikes you can fit more of them in the same space as a car (staggered driving and smaller parking). I don't remember anything being listed as a reason for safety. If people want to move faster in their car, share the ride or get a ride (bike).

When I go into Seattle from where I live, if I am alone I ride the bike as the HOV lane allows me to get to 520 floating bridge using the HOV lane in a reasonable time (10 minutes not an hour+). Opening one more lane to that traffic will do very little to solve the bottle neck (this is traffic into the city during rush hour!). Riding across the 520 bridge in wind does require some strong concentration though.

I-985 is a lame idea. Being among the daily commuters on I-405; I believe rush hour is over @ 9:00 pm. It is bad enough having car poolers and buses merging over 4 lanes let alone adding single occupant yahoos into the mix. Until more progessive motorcycle laws are enacted in Washington State that would somehow be attached to this initiative - my FJR and I vote no!!