why so tall?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5'7" here with tiny little dwarf legs. Believe it or not, it's not a problem and you just get used to it. You just get used to it. My Yamaha WR450 is taller and I took my lumps on the learning curve off road which I think helped a lot. I try to keep my feet on the pegs as much as possible, often slow rolling at lights.

For what it's worth, are you sure the seat on the FJR you sat on wasn't in the "up" position. As touched on once already, it does adjust up and down an inch or so. Might be worth another look. Good luck. You may be 5'7" but you might also be female. If so, MM2 won't mind talking down to you as much.

[SIZE=14pt]NOTICE![/SIZE]

New rules for short people! This is a special club and only tall people with long legs are allowed. We may make an exception and allow you into our semi-secret, mutually exclusive brother/sisterhood....on an individual basis, after much forethought and at least two focus group meetings.....

[SIZE=14pt]---BUT---[/SIZE]

There will be no whiney babies allowed to post, ever.
No cry babies allowed to speak at functions, ever.
No mama's boys (or girls) allowed to complain, ever.
No whimpering girlie-men are allowed to ride with the NORMAL sized owners/members.
DISCLAIMER: Just kidding! :D Geez, gimme a major break, would'ya?

Ric in Sac is vertically challenged and manages quite well, thank you, 2-up! The man simply amazes me with his skill, ability to recognize questionable sections to park or stop and the grace with which he carries it all off with the lovely Karen on the pillion seat.

We all have our problems and must adapt or cause our surroundings to adapt. MotorToad is correct! You guys have no idea what its like to go shopping, buy a car or motorcycle that fits us, etc., etc., etc. At least you have parts availability to easily change the attitude of your bike. I know so because I helped Last Chance install his Kouba Links...yes, another inseam challenged owner. He's not aggressive in cornering so ground clearance hasn't been an issue with his FJR.

For me, weight and width are more of a factor than height. All dirt bikes are tall and I can flat foot every time with my 28" inseam (only one foot though.) Crusiers have other limitations, such as 800lb, long wheelbase & limited cornering clearance. You'll get used to a FJR and plan where to put that foot down when necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also 6'3" (220lbs) and find it refreshing to see how many tall guys are on this forum... I think the FJR is a perfect bike for anyone above average height. Now, if you are a bit below average, you'll prob need to find a smaller seat.

..And, yes it does suck to be 6'3" in a 5'10" world....

Get some dog bones and have the bike of your dreams lowered to suit your stature. A good shop can do this, and also drop the triple tree a bit, easy enough. BMW is actually making several of their bikes with lower suspension from the factory now, so I think folks recognize that its a general problem.

The FJR was originally made and marketed for our teutonic bretheren across the pond to blaze the autobahn and I'm sure there are plenty of 'em doing just that. As a relatively short shit, 5'8" with a 30" inseam, I thought I might have some trouble as well but honestly one just adapts as needed. I owned an XR 600L a while back and would actually jump off at some stop lights in and around Plano Tx....Looked silly I'm sure but I got to know more than one female this way...she thought I was cute 'till she realized just how retarted I is ! And as others have mentioned there are folks who can lower it effectively for ya but I'd give it a shot au-natural first !

Blessings,

Bobby

Because it eliminates certain people so the rest of us won't have to deal with their "chip-on-the-shoulder" attitude nor will there be a need for us to spend hours hunched over while in conversation.

;)

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
It is Friday and Halloween to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what FJR you are riding but mine is too small and wished it were the side of the BMW GS1200 which fits me perfectly.

"Short People got no reason to live"

"They got little hands

And little eyes

And they walk around

Tellin' great big lies

They wear platform shoes

On their nasty little feet"

Randy Newman

One get's used to it. I tippy toe all the time (5'7"). Just use your head more than your legs. Everything works out nicely...

Just a thought, perhaps a lighter but nonetheless tour-worthy bike such as the Honda VFR would suit you better if the Feejer feels too ungainly?
I never realised how small the VFR feels , I used to own a 750 prior to the FJR , the FJ doesn't feel big until you ride a smaller bike ala VFR . I don't think there is much difference in seat height tho between a VFR and an FJR but the seat is def wider on the FRiJ so maybe that's what you are feeling not the extra height.

I'm 5' 9" ,, ( maybe almost 5'10" on a good day ) ,,, and I can't get flat footed on the FJR..

It's a pretty big bike ...

But after riding the Concours for several years ,, the first time I got on a FJR it felt like a 750..

Had a buddy , shorter than me ,, use to ride a Yamaha Ventura touring bike.. That's a really

BIG and TALL bike... I'm not sure how he did it ,, but he rode it for years..

I figure when I get older & slower I might get a smaller bike ,, maybe even a cruiser :dribble:

Like I told my doctor : I'm not over weight ,,, I'm tooo short ,,I'm the perfect weight if I were 6' 4"....

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: old&slow

Best advise I can offer is keep your feet on the pegs! Ignore those pesky red lights and stop signs! :dribble:

are they the same height in other countries where people are shorter? .........
Wow, never knew that folks in other countries were shorter than us americans. Perhaps that is why we are so obseessed with the size of things here and like everything so freaking big.

Perhaps you are confusing height with weight! :p

.....And, yes it does suck to be 6'3" in a 5'10" world....
Are you kidding me??? I love being 6'3" in a [shorter] world! :)

Wow, resurrected from the dead and taking on a life of it's own. As to being taller than 74 inches, at least you get to see the parade from the back row. Me? I'm 5'11" and sometimes get stuck behind you giraffes at the Christmas parade.

If you are short, then please do not stop next to my bike when riding yours. :lol:

Thank you for your co-operation.

That'd be Ryan L. Keep, I suppose. He's new, so ALL posts are new to him.

Gawd, if it was only Friday . . . . :assassin: