Wilbers Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Alright, here we go.... again.... :D

In speaking with Klaus today, I could tell he wasn't quite as excited about doing another Group Buy with the FJR group as last time, based upon his experience with some of the individuals from the EZBoard days.

I told him we had a new forum, and all the asshats were left behind (which, aside from a handful of exceptions, is mostly true... :D ) Klaus is definitely okay with doing another GB for us, however....

This time around, things will run a little differently. There will be no tiered approach to discounts... it will be one discount price, regardless of how few or how many participate. This is both good and bad. It means that you can order and get your shock into the assembly queue immediately - no 2-week wait like last time. But I dunno about getting that hefty 20% discount price we enjoyed during the first Group Buy.... we'll have to wait and see.

He also wants me to give him about a week or so to check with the factory in Germany first to ensure they haven't had a change in policy regarding Group Buys (which he doesn't think has happened, but he needs to check first).

I'll pinned this for now, but I won't contact him again until Monday, Oct 24 to proceed forward with this new Group Buy. So for those of you who are interested, start saving your pennies now....

Note that this Group Buy will be for FJR1300s up through 2005 model year only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. I'm gonna have to put that Givi on hold and get me a Wilber instead. Thanks a lot for setting this up for us.

I told him we had a new forum, and all the asshats were left behind (which, aside from a handful of exceptions, is mostly true... :D )
Hey! I resemble that remark! :blink:

But don't worry---most of us a$$hat$ now have our Wilbers shocks--we won't be bugging Klaus again :dribble:

Interested in fork springs and shock but have to check with SWMBO

Maybe Santa's stocking has room.

Boy this group buy is coming along at JUST the right time for me. Can't wait for the details. Thanks for all your hard work once again Warchild! :clap:

Tom

I missed the last one. Gonna have to go for it this time...Although the thought of trying to do the install is a bit intimidating to me.

Exocet

If I can do the install (with WC's installation guide and the right tools) so can you (and anyone else)

I bought the 640 + remote preload

The main issues I had were:

i) getting the preload lever in place - the guide did not warn of the difficulty getting the unit thru such a small gap - perhaps others removed some other plastic - I was worried about bending the cable too much but it worked out OK in the end

and

ii) needing another pair of hands to remove nuts/bolts and torquing afterwards

Paul

01 fjr

uk

...Although the thought of trying to do the install is a bit intimidating to me.
It was easier than I thought. I just did the install last night....after putting it off for many months to first wear out my stock shock.

I had watched and helped give Isaac wrenches at the last TechWest (it took 2 hours), but found I did it in a hour in my garage floor with basic tools. Mine was the shock and and remote preload. I didn't have a remote reservoir.

Only point I second-guessed myself was whether to do it on the center stand (yes) or on the kickstand (NO!) My thought was the front dog bone mount (yep, they look like cartoon dog bones) was behind the center stand. But, after taking off the rear dog bone and shock bolt, the linkage swung so I could pull off the front.

Actually, you don't even need to do that, but having seen some corrosion on the TechWest sample I wanted to make sure mine was good. It was.

In hindsight I could have taken off the stock shock adjuster from the black metal bracket instead of the whole part, but that was just 10 minutes extra. The black 8mm bolts against the black bracket, in the shadows wasn't obvious to me until I got it all off. ...then again, taking off the stamped bracket made routing the adjuster easier.

Routing the remote preload line was probably the trickiest part. I wanted to make sure it didn't catch the sharpish edge of the black bracket. I'm gonna keep an eye on that as I put the miles on.

The other trick was to lift the rear tire up about two inches while I put the lower shock bolt back in. I happen to have a short pry bar that I could leverage up the tire with one hand (very precisely) while sliding the bolt with the other. It was one of my better uses of a tool built for tearing down drywall....

Riding around the neighborhood I can tell the shock is WAY better for me and my 250 pounds of meat. Can't wait to fiddle with preload and my new fuel cell.

In the scheme of things--I think it was easier than changing spark plugs, or about the same difficulty as removing the rear or front wheel. If you've done your own oil and comfortable with it--I'd say it's a good next job to try yourself.

+1.

I pulled my Wilbers yesterday and put the OEM shock back on. It went 2nd day to Klaus for a swap to a heftier spring.

I'm gettin' a Wilbers rear shock this time around. The way I read it from Wibers site is that the rear shock is a true variable rated spring. I think the stock shock spring rate is 9-11 Kg. I've read posts where guys send them back to get stiffer springs because the sag is off the charts, etc. They say it came as a 9.5 Kg & say Wilbers offers 9.5Kg., 10.0 Kg., 10.5 Kg., & 11.0 Kg. spring rate. I don't see these rates offered on their site. Don't they build the shock specifically for me, my riding style, and my bike, judged by them from my weight .etc.? I just want to get it & put it on & all be correct. Do not want to pull it back off & ship back to them.

Warchild,

Thanks for your offer to initiate the new group shock buy. I missed the first one and my rear shock is totally shagged. I won't miss this one. As soon as you say go, I'll be on the list.

I think the stock shock spring rate is 9-11 Kg.
Are you saying that the factory Yamaha spring is variable? or is it 9 kg at the normal setting and 11 when you flip the preload lever? It would be easier for me to decide which Wilber spring I want if I knew what I had on there now.

Count me in as well for this since i didnt have my FJR when the 1st GB was in effect!

My only concern is the preload being enough for my fat ass!! :erm: I weigh about 350# and don't really want to waste my money on something that wont work for me.

-Adam