Wilburs Return

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowfax

Reaction score
Anyone else sending their shock back to Wilburs due to a poor setup?

I spec'd mine out right, but the spring as sent is waaaay too short and with max pre-load wallows and bottoms out in corners 2-up.

Klaus seems a little lost.

From what he said yesterday plus from the other list I guess a lot of folks are complaining about this spring setup. It's ok for 1-up but can't handle 2-up at all (and my passenger only weighs 115 w/all gear).

He's getting a new spring for it and will add the remote pre-load (you can get in there with the wrench but it is a serious pain to adjust.)

If I don't get it back in time or still can't get it adjusted for 2-up I'll have to go back to stock for our 3500mile trip east.

Hmm, how much was the Ohlins?

I sent the shock back FedEx overnight ($46) as I'm running out of time to get this setup for the trip.

Jun 21, 2005 1:24 PM

Delivery exception

EATONTOWN, NJ

Customer not available or business closed

hmmm.

Mine is way soft also.... (just myself, and I ordered for 2-up)

I haven't gotten around to mesuring it yet, but the peg scraping is very evident...

-bvw.

Klaus went the extra mile, put on the 1step stiffer spring (100nm/kg) and installed the remote preload Friday afternoon and had it shipped to me Saturday Delivery.

He called me on Friday and verified that the way I shipped to him it was setup for 40mm solo, and I needed the new setup ready to go 2-up+gear/luggage (155lbs increase) at 40mm.

I installed and measured. Solo, no gear/luggage, sag was 50mm. So much for ready to go 2-up.

I cranked the remote preload all the way and had my wife get on the back. (no gear, no luggage). 53mm.

Someone is doing the math wrong somewhere. Especially since it was setup for 40mm before, I thought it would at least come setup for that.

The good news is 53mm 2-up is a hell of a lot better than it was with the old spring and the bike doesn't bottom out or wallow (much).

I see the preload sitting on top of the spring with an adjuster nut above.

How do I add more mechanical preload?