Will a Corbin Smuggler fit with the Givi 357 rack AND a front RDL?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRiderMN

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The answer is YES! That is, at least it fits on my Gen3.

Smuggler 2.jpg

Corbin did send four additional washers to install under the top 2 bumpers (see below) and 2 longer bolts to attach them to the Smuggler:

Smuggler 4.jpg

This shims up the rear of the Smuggler just enough to clear the passenger grab rails by less than 1/8".

Good information! I know that the unmodified Smuggler would not work with the SR357 on my 2011.
I assume that your mods are available from Corbin as some sort of kit?

My problem with the Smuggler and SR357 was that the plate under Smugller would not come close to reaching the latch points of the bike. I ended up modifying the plate ans shimmimg it out to reach farther down.

@RedRiderMN - To Russ' (rbentnail) point above regarding the rear Smuggler plate, were you able to lock-in the rear of the Smuggler to the bike or do you just have the front of the Smuggler locked-in with the key latch? I having the same issue right now with a new 2015 FJR I just purchased that has a Givi Top case.

Thanks
Rob

I never really saw any point in running BOTH a topcase and a Smuggler at the same time. Face it, the Smuggler is all about aesthetics - a topcase stores more although doesn't look as slick. If there is a fitment issue, use the SR357 and topcase when you need it but the rack can be removed and the standard rack put on (in order to use the Smuggler) within about 10 minutes after you have done it a couple of times.

I always run the Smuggler and my Givi top case. What I rarely use is the saddlebags. I have things like my rain gear, microfiber cloths, cleaning spray, tire patch kit and inflator in the Smuggler. When I get to work, I put my boots, jacket and helmet in the top case. Since I sometimes just go out for a ride and don't plan on stopping I will go without the top case but the Smuggler is always on. On a longer trip, the saddlebags go on.

@RedRiderMN - To Russ' (rbentnail) point above regarding the rear Smuggler plate, were you able to lock-in the rear of the Smuggler to the bike or do you just have the front of the Smuggler locked-in with the key latch? I having the same issue right now with a new 2015 FJR I just purchased that has a Givi Top case.

Thanks
Rob
Yes, the rear tabs on the Smuggler slip under the tabs on the subframe, then the front of the Smuggler gets pushed down to secure it with the key latch on the bike. However, there is some play between the rear of the Smuggler and the subframe tabs (about 3/8"), but I have enough heavy stuff in the Smuggler that it does NOT flop around when I ride.

Yes, the rear tabs on the Smuggler slip under the tabs on the subframe, then the front of the Smuggler gets pushed down to secure it with the key latch on the bike. However, there is some play between the rear of the Smuggler and the subframe tabs (about 3/8"), but I have enough heavy stuff in the Smuggler that it does NOT flop around when I ride.
Hi - just wondering how to get the rubber grommets off the bottom of the Smuggler? Are they attached by Rivets? Did you have to remove the carpet inside? Greatly appreciate some advice. Thanks...

@RedRiderMN - Called Corbin Tech Support 3x and also sent an email. They are claiming that they will NOT help me modify the Smuggler to make it fit with my Givi Top Case and SR357 mount due to potential Liability issues. Just to summarize - I just purchased a used 2015 FJR1300A with Givi Top case and want to mount my Corbin Smuggler from my old 2007 FJR1300A. Any help, advice, or assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

• 2007 FJR1300A, Corbin Smuggler, Shad Top case
  • 2015 FJR1300A, Givi Top case

@RedRiderMN - Called Corbin Tech Support 3x and also sent an email. They are claiming that they will NOT help me modify the Smuggler to make it fit with my Givi Top Case and SR357 mount due to potential Liability issues. Just to summarize - I just purchased a used 2015 FJR1300A with Givi Top case and want to mount my Corbin Smuggler from my old 2007 FJR1300A. Any help, advice, or assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

• 2007 FJR1300A, Corbin Smuggler, Shad Top case
  • 2015 FJR1300A, Givi Top case
Perhaps you could describe what you see as to why you can't mount your '07 Smuggler to your '15 FJR1300A.

I was looking to purchase a kit from Corbin as described in the beginning of this thread. This would consist of the longer bolts and additional washers. The other issue is to extend the plate with some shims.
My '13 has a SR357 GIVI rack and when I first got my Smuggler it fit fine. I'd had it off & on several times. One day I took it off and for the life me I could not get the Smuggler mount plate underneath to slip under the securing points on the bike. It took a bit of trial and error but I ended up not only shimming the plate away from the Smuggler body but also slitting & bending the ends of the plate to reach down a bit farther. No problems since.

I took a couple pics of the result, I can dig them off my phone if you want.

My '13 has a SR357 GIVI rack and when I first got my Smuggler it fit fine. I'd had it off & on several times. One day I took it off and for the life me I could not get the Smuggler mount plate underneath to slip under the securing points on the bike. It took a bit of trial and error but I ended up not only shimming the plate away from the Smuggler body but also slitting & bending the ends of the plate to reach down a bit farther. No problems since.

I took a couple pics of the result, I can dig them off my phone if you want.
Yeah - a few pictures would be great if you have them. Also, did you ever remove the plate and/or grommets/rubber bumpers from beneath the Smuggler? If so, are they connected with Rivets? The reason I'm asking is because they certainly do not look like bolts to me as suggested by RedRiderMN in the first entry of this forum thread.

Appreciate the feedback... Thanks
Rob

Yes, the bolts holding on the rubber bumpers are indeed bolts, NOT rivets (at least they are bolts in the most recent version of the Smuggler). You simply need to unscrew the bolts, add some spacers, obtain a longer bolt(s), then install. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Yeah - a few pictures would be great if you have them. Also, did you ever remove the plate and/or grommets/rubber bumpers from beneath the Smuggler? If so, are they connected with Rivets? The reason I'm asking is because they certainly do not look like bolts to me as suggested by RedRiderMN in the first entry of this forum thread.

Appreciate the feedback... Thanks
Rob
I did nothing to the rubber bumpers.

I drilled the plate rivet heads off and pushed the bodies through to the inside. I cut a slit in the carpet inside to remove the pieces and (later) to install #10 screws to fasten the plate back on.

I marked the plate at the edge of the Smuggler then removed it. I made a slit on each mark from rear to front about 1/2 across the width of the plate. I added two pieces of scrap aluminum I had as spacers, 1/4" thick, and reattached the plate using #10 screws from the outside in with flat and lock washers and a nut on the inside. Then it was trial and error to get enough bend on the edges to slip under the latch points. I then went back and added rubber electrical insulating tape to the aluminum spacers where they meet the Smuggler and tightened everything down. Been fine since, easy on & off, no rattling. I use both the stock and a Sargent seat, they both work fine with this.

Next is to get the lid to seat a little tighter. Haven't had it leak, it's just a little looser than I like it to be.

(click for bigger pic)
1684532373871.jpegIMG_20230105_104324314.jpg