Will Russell rebuild/rework seat for non-original owner?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
I bought a used RDL a year ago. It was two months old (guy sold his FJR) and was made for a guy my 6'2" height and inseam, but the guy was much lighter. I called Russell to inquire about a rework in case the springs weren't right or if they somehow gave out down the road. The lady I talked to said something about they only do rebuilds for the person that ordered the seat, not a 2nd owner of the seat. I didn't push it as I didn't even have the seat in my possession yet.

Turns out the seat is great, even though per the Russell website I should have the heavier springs. Not sure what impact over time 70 extra lbs will have on a seat.

I keep seeing people on the forum when referring to RDL's for sale "if it doesn't fit RDL will do a rebuild for you."

Any 2nd owner ever have a rebuild done or know of somebody that did?

I called Russell to inquire about a rework in case the springs weren't right or if they somehow gave out down the road. The lady I talked to said something about they only do rebuilds for the person that ordered the seat, not a 2nd owner of the seat.

I keep seeing people on the forum when referring to RDL's for sale "if it doesn't fit RDL will do a rebuild for you."
I'd believe the person from Russell.

If you see people claiming otherwise...post there or send them a PM about their claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree. Since they are custom built to the first purchaser, a rebuild would be for them because it would seem to not be the fit they ordered.

A 2nd hand Russell being rebuilt would be for a different person with different measurements. That's not a "fix". It's also why, when buying a custom seat second hand, that you try to match the person it was build for or plan the cost of mods into the purchase price.

Their warranty page on their website explains their policies. It seems to only reference the "customer". Buying a secondhand seat would not appear to make you a customer. Seems reasonable to me.

I would agree. Since they are custom built to the first purchaser, a rebuild would be for them because it would seem to not be the fit they ordered.
A 2nd hand Russell being rebuilt would be for a different person with different measurements. That's not a "fix". It's also why, when buying a custom seat second hand, that you try to match the person it was build for or plan the cost of mods into the purchase price.
I'm not talking about a fix though. I'm saying if I wanted it completely rebuilt to "MY" measurements, whatever the cost. Meaning I don't have to send in my stock seat, I could send in my Russell seat (with FJR pan) and get it built right to me. Same question applies to if my seat developed a tear or was worn and I wanted it redone, but wasn't the first owner.

It was just a question as I see people saying on the classifieds "buy the seat and if it doesn't work send it in for a rebuild", and per my phone cal it made it sound like Russell wouldn't touch it. Maybe I misunderstood and for the price of a completely new built seat they would do the job.

Thus my question if anyone has had it done before as a 2nd owner.

(My seat right now is great and I really don't want to bother Russell with a "what if" question when I'm not going to go forward with a purchase. I thought someone here may know the answer from experience).

I think what you're trying to pin down is a price. Russell will work on any seatpan for any rider. I think russell won't call it an adjustment but a new build and price accordingly.

<snip> Maybe I misunderstood and for the price of a completely new built seat they would do the job.
My [limited] experience is ^^^^ this. I attempted a similar thing with a used RDL seat. Called and asked if RDL would slightly modify the seat, but their attitude came through loud and clear...they would only touch the seat for full price and consider it a new build.

--G

You know Deagle,

I wouldn't worry about your seat as I think the springs in a Russell seat is more hype in providing outer support than anything. Because back when the original Bill Mayer started building seats, he didn't have access to the foams that are available today. And when he sold the company to Russell, they continued the original patented design. But when his boys Bill (Rocky) and Rick started building seats they used the current denser closed cell foams that are more readily today. It's funny that even though they both learned from their Dad, both Rocky and Rick built completely different seats. Rocky uses a complete molded insert where Rick use different pieces depending on the part of the saddle he is working on with firmer foam on the outside edges to provide more support with different foams in the middle of the base. I guess because Rick was from the medical profession, he access to some of the more exotic hospital foams. Then there is the Corbin seat which is a completely different story.

But if your seat if comfortable for the long haul and provides the outer support you need, I wouldn't worry about the rate of the springs.

Hope this helps,

Rick

I wouldn't worry about the springs. I think the seats are magical but I think the springs themselves are a bit of a holdover. Regarding sending it in, I'd consider it a new build. Not surprised they do.

<snip> Maybe I misunderstood and for the price of a completely new built seat they would do the job.
My [limited] experience is ^^^^ this. I attempted a similar thing with a used RDL seat. Called and asked if RDL would slightly modify the seat, but their attitude came through loud and clear...they would only touch the seat for full price and consider it a new build.

--G

That is what I was wondering. Thanks for all of the input everyone.

Don.

Terminology. If you want a seat built, just tell them you're sending in one of theirs to use as a pan.

That said, seems like you'd be better off selling it and having a new one built - otherwise you're effectively throwing away what you've already invested.

I've had RDL and Laam, neither built for me, but both are far better than any corbin or sargant I've had..

You know Deagle,
I wouldn't worry about your seat as I think the springs in a Russell seat is more hype in providing outer support than anything. Because back when the original Bill Mayer started building seats, he didn't have access to the foams that are available today. And when he sold the company to Russell, they continued the original patented design. But when his boys Bill (Rocky) and Rick started building seats they used the current denser closed cell foams that are more readily today. It's funny that even though they both learned from their Dad, both Rocky and Rick built completely different seats. Rocky uses a complete molded insert where Rick use different pieces depending on the part of the saddle he is working on with firmer foam on the outside edges to provide more support with different foams in the middle of the base. I guess because Rick was from the medical profession, he access to some of the more exotic hospital foams. Then there is the Corbin seat which is a completely different story.

But if your seat if comfortable for the long haul and provides the outer support you need, I wouldn't worry about the rate of the springs.

Hope this helps,

Rick
Before he passed, Old Man Russell said he was prohibited from using his original design under the terms of the sale of the company. He said he could only get so far only using different foam densities but he did the best he could. His kids use foam, not because it's better, but because they can't use the original design.

Many report being happy with foam-only designs. The consensus seems to be that, as the rider goes up in GVW, the springs work better.

It's hard to dish out what it costs for a new RDL, including losing your stock seat. Worth it, but it's hard to take that plunge the first time when you really don't know "how much" better it will be. I waited 11 years and still only bought used. Shame on me for waiting so long.

How much more than the recommended 235 weight are you? If you are close, I'd just ride on the seat you have now and not worry about it.

If you are closer to 300 lbs, but now realize the true benefit of a custom seat, you could send in your stock seats and have them do the full custom build up for you. Not only will the spring be stiffer but the "bucket" will be more appropriately sized fro your body shape.

In the meantime you'll have those used Russells you bought to hold you over. Then sell that used set later to soften the blow of the new ones. Used Russell seats do not seem to sit around in the classifieds for too long.
wink.png

With gear I'm pushing the 300 lb mark. Seat had 500 miles on it when I bought it. I've put 6000 miles on it so far. So far it's been like sitting in the palm of God's hand. Heavenly.