Wind noise at speed.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E1Allen

Youngster
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone around the 6'2"-6'4" range as bought an aftermarket windscreen and has had a considerable improvement in wind noise when they ride? If I wear ear plugs its not much of an issue, but it's a little bit annoying anyways. If I duck down quite a bit I can get behind the shield so there is no noise. Do the taller shields work?

Thanks,

Eric

Kinda. I'm 6'5" and have a 2005 with a California Scientific Tall shield. It's quite a bit quieter than the stock shield and has much less back pressure but there is still some noise. I also have a Cee Balley +4 Tall, +3 Wide and the California Scientific Tall shield is quieter. You'll never find a totally quiet windshield unless the shield comes almost to the top of your helmet.

You may want to consider changing helmets. I changed to a Shoei TZ-R from an HJC. Had as much of a decrease in noise by changing helmets as in changing windshields. Or you can just wear earplugs and save $$$

I'm 6'4 and recently installed a V-Stream windshield. While it did increase the amount of wind protection I get, I can't say it is much quieter. With the stock screen I get a clean airflow over my helmet and the noise is more related to the helmet that windscreen. With the V-Stream, I'm out of the airflow, but there is some turbulence induced noise. However, with the shield in the full up position, everything is dead quite - but I rarely ride in this configuration. One change I made was to ride with the seat in the lower setting - this moves you down lower behind the windscreen, and I like the lower center of gravity.

Dan

I'm not as tall as you but I'll add that in general, all but the most gigantic shields really make a difference in noise. In the winter I use a big Cee Balley, in the summer I use a cut down stocker, i.e., - about 6". With your shield down, try standing on your pegs and note how much quieter it is. That's the idea behind the short shield. That and lots more airflow on a hot day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here at Doc Rads Shortening Shop, we can fit anyone onto or into anything. After years of painstaking research, resulting in the successful conversion of a penis into a truly useful appendage
bigchina.1102933020.museum_-_six-leg_calf.jpg
Doc Rad now brings these extraordinary talents to the fun filled field of human engineering. Call for an appointment today!

gesu_02_img0141.jpg

PS: Be sure to verify the nature of your visit upon arrival. Wouldn't want any of those pesky mistakes now, would we?

I am 6'1'' and have a Cee Bailey , + 4 high , +3 wide with a flip and do not have a noise problem or back pressure. I ride with a full face with no ear plugs.

Mac

I just went to the OEM tall screen and it has reduced the noise for me quite a bit. At 6'3" with a 33" inseam the screen is not tall enough to create a complete quiet bubble when sitting in a normal position. The airflow off of the screen is quite clean though and that reduced the noise for me allot. I posted pictures of the screen in an earlier post that should give a better idea of what the screen is like. Also, at $110 the OEM is a pretty inexpensive experiment versus some of the other after market screens.

CaryB

Here at Doc Rads Shortening Shop™, we can fit anyone onto or into anything. After years of painstaking research, resulting in the successful conversion of a penis into a truly useful appendage
bigchina.1102933020.museum_-_six-leg_calf.jpg
Doc Rad now brings these extraordinary talents to the fun filled field of human engineering. Call for an appointment today!
gesu_02_img0141.jpg

PS: Be sure to verify the nature of your visit upon arrival. Wouldn't want any of those pesky mistakes now, would we?

You experimented on yourself first, didn't you? Explains a lot.

How about learning to slouch?....probably the most inexpensive way to beat the wind noise at speed :derisive: ....

I am wondering if anyone around the 6'2"-6'4" range as bought an aftermarket windscreen and has had a considerable improvement in wind noise when they ride? If I wear ear plugs its not much of an issue, but it's a little bit annoying anyways. If I duck down quite a bit I can get behind the shield so there is no noise. Do the taller shields work?
Thanks,

Eric
I am 6'5" 300 pounds and I bought the tallest windscreen I could find and it works perfectly. It is a +5.5" and it is about an inch taller than I wold have needed but I would not change a thing. The Cal-Sci is great.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess it sounds like if I find myself a taller windshield I just might have my cure. And as for slouching, that just makes my back hurt, so thats kinda out of the question.

Thanks,

Eric

Just checked out their site. Looks like I wouldn't even need their tallest shield.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess it sounds like if I find myself a taller windshield I just might have my cure. And as for slouching, that just makes my back hurt, so thats kinda out of the question. Thanks,

Eric
Didn't think you'd go for it....but you never know :dntknw: .....good luck, hope you find what your looking for....

Thanks for all the replies. I guess it sounds like if I find myself a taller windshield I just might have my cure. And as for slouching, that just makes my back hurt, so thats kinda out of the question. Thanks,

Eric
Didn't think you'd go for it....but you never know :dntknw: .....good luck, hope you find what your looking for....

I hope so too. I know lots of people buy the windshields and are happy with them, I just didn't know if the taller people we able to experience an improvement with the tallest screens. Because I sure have to slouch a ways down to get out of the wind.

Try the Ear Seals. Add ear plugs if that is not enough. Wind noise is gone.

Thanks,

Eric
Man I hope you find a great answer. I'm 6'2 and did a 800 mile ride over the weekend, and my back is killing me. I had to duck down under the shield anytime I wanted to talk to my friend via the starcom, cuz the wind noise was just too much. my entire head is above the windscreen (I have Yamaha's aftermarket "touring" shield on my 07).

When I sit up in a comfortable straight up position that doesn't kill me.. My entire head is above that screen. the only way to get any use out of it is to hunch over like im on a sports bike.. and thats painful.. thats why i didnt GET a sports bike!

hehe.

I am 6'2" but short legged and long waisted so I set high. OEM screen was the absolute pits. Bought a Cee Bailey +4H+2W with flip and can run with shield all the way down with much less buffeting and noise than OEM. Raise the shield 2/3 to 3/4 and I get no buffeting and total quiet (relatively speaking). SO Quiet all I can hear is the engine purring and the fence posts whizzing by. Also no back pressure.