Wind noise at speed.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 6'2" but short legged and long waisted so I set high. OEM screen was the absolute pits. Bought a Cee Bailey +4H+2W with flip and can run with shield all the way down with much less buffeting and noise than OEM. Raise the shield 2/3 to 3/4 and I get no buffeting and total quiet (relatively speaking). SO Quiet all I can hear is the engine purring and the fence posts whizzing by. Also no back pressure.
The Cee Bailey screens look really nice! I might try one of those out.

Any downfall to ordering the 6Hx4W ? I think the aftermarket Yamaha I have no is +2W.. could use it a little bit wider.

Would the 6H cause any issues? The 4H yamaha I have now all the way down is still pretty low. Im just wondering if the bracket for the windscreen would be able to hold a 6H screen when at full height at middle-of-nowhere-highway-speeds .

Here's a side question and a noob question. I came from sports bikes.. where you really never look through your little windshield except for peripheral vision. Do many of you find that you look through your windscreen straight ahead while you're riding, and not following the "windscreen is 3 inches below your eye sight" thought?

I road for a while looking through the windscreen and it seemed fine.. ever-so-slightly distorted at times.. and wasnt ideal in twisty parts of PCH, and I had to lower it for those sections where I needed perfect vision.. but elsewise out in the open.. anything wrong with that?

I'm 6'2", 32" inseam. My bike has a Russell seat (about 1" taller than stock) : So I sit tall! I am currently experimenting with a CalSci XXT. I have had a number of 'shields on my '04 & '05. Large OEM, added a Laminar Lip, various CeeBailey w/flip and w/o flip (The NO flip works better for me).

None of the above have gave me a "cone of silence" that I call: FJR Windshield Nirvana. None! I always have to slouch or using Skyways windshield spacers, put the windshield all the way down to get a clear blast of air on my Shoei.

I "ran into" Mark Lawrence (The owner of CalSci) at a local dealer and he invited me to come to his shop and try a windshield. I did so and have one mounted on my FJR. I am trying different riding positions vs. windshield positions to find the "sweet spots" for me.

For the purposes of the test I have been riding without earplugs. I rode with Skyway and others on the Sacramento Delta on Sunday...no earplugs. It is strange to me to be able to hear my XM radio at speed (now turned down to 60%-70%). Normally, because of the earplugs and wind noise I couldn't hear the radio above 50 mph (It would be "backround music, though I could hear the 2-way radio). Now I can hear the engine noise and the road noise from the tires.

My current experiment is still underway. I rode to work Monday using earplugs and actually didn't like the effect. I have more "noise" with the earplugs than without, so I wonder if the plugs are creating ambient noise in my ear canal or trapping a reverberation inside my helmet? As you can see, more work is needed and will be continued.

I still have the Skyway spacers in place so my next step will be to remove the spacers and chart the differences.

My conclusion at the moment is that the CalSci "mostest tallest" is the best I've ever had in 4 years of FJR ownership.

HOWEVER (here is the caveat), time will tell how this particular windshield will be in the Central Valley heat. I noticed on Sunday that I was getting some airflow on my arms that I didn't get with the CeeBailey. I am used to being able to retract the 'shield to get fresh air on my face, something the CalSci won't allow because of its extra height. This should be balanced by the air coming from the high-pressure area at the windshield base.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 6'2" but short legged and long waisted so I set high. OEM screen was the absolute pits. Bought a Cee Bailey +4H+2W with flip and can run with shield all the way down with much less buffeting and noise than OEM. Raise the shield 2/3 to 3/4 and I get no buffeting and total quiet (relatively speaking). SO Quiet all I can hear is the engine purring and the fence posts whizzing by. Also no back pressure.
The Cee Bailey screens look really nice! I might try one of those out.

Any downfall to ordering the 6Hx4W ? I think the aftermarket Yamaha I have no is +2W.. could use it a little bit wider.

Would the 6H cause any issues? The 4H yamaha I have now all the way down is still pretty low. Im just wondering if the bracket for the windscreen would be able to hold a 6H screen when at full height at middle-of-nowhere-highway-speeds .

Here's a side question and a noob question. I came from sports bikes.. where you really never look through your little windshield except for peripheral vision. Do many of you find that you look through your windscreen straight ahead while you're riding, and not following the "windscreen is 3 inches below your eye sight" thought?

I road for a while looking through the windscreen and it seemed fine.. ever-so-slightly distorted at times.. and wasn't ideal in twisty parts of PCH, and I had to lower it for those sections where I needed perfect vision.. but elsewise out in the open.. anything wrong with that?

Just a reminder the taller the shield the less airflow you'll have in hot weather. I have to run my shield lower in really hot weather or I bake. The brackets don't seem to mind the taller windshields but the windshield will move around a little at high speeds. When I'm really hauling I just drop the shield down to it's lowest position.

Maybe taller isnt the key. How about all round protection...

Image1TestForWebSite.JPG

Maybe taller isnt the key. How about all round protection...
Now that is a great idea.. Do they have some kind of "wheel kit" that would add another 2 wheels to the rig? Maybe the kit can move the wheels to more of a rectangle layout too instead of inline.. and have them on the front/back edge of the bike..

:)

Not too long ago we had a discussion of super-tall windshields. Perhaps you can find it using the search feature.

I have the CB +6+4 for winter use. It's very quiet and definately keeps the breeze off your arms & torso, but it is not like sitting inside a cage! At a bit over 6' tall and with the seat in the high position, I find the windshield top is just about at eye level when raised all the way up. Riding like that I get a bit wind "ruffle" noise over the top of my helmet. It's not completely silent, but it's much quieter than either having the helment in turbulent air coming off the windshield, or even in clean air when using a short windshield. If I slouch down an inch or two the complete cone-of-silence can be achieved. In my limited experience I've never found a bike or windshield that was completely silent unless you look through the glass (rather than over it) to ride the bike.

One point that came up repeatedly in the discussion of tall shields is that they are not great in the all-the-way-down position. The angle and long length conspire to dump the airflow directly into your face. It's not especially turbulent or noisey, it's just too much air! As a result I never run mine all the way down.

A few weeks back I changed to the stock shield for summertime - it's getting warm already in Texas. Now I have to wear earplugs around town again, that was never required with the tall shield.

- JimY

ear plugs
+1

Better earplugs. If you aren't wearing earplugs while riding all the time, you are doing your hearing a great disservice. Isn't ear hearing damage accumulative if not delayed? Didn't I hear that somewhere?

Get a quieter more aerodynamic helmet, too.

If your ears ring (more) after you ride, you may have damaged them.

Sheesh, I'm turning into a GEAR NAZI!!!!!!!! OH NO!!!!! Ok, I wear earplugs even when I don't wear my helmet. Whew, I feel better now.

And of course I'm short enough that I can get into the "cone of silence" with a stock shield. So at least if I splatter my brain, my ears will probably still work. Probably.

ear plugs
+1

Better earplugs. If you aren't wearing earplugs while riding all the time, you are doing your hearing a great disservice. Isn't ear hearing damage accumulative if not delayed? Didn't I hear that somewhere?

Sheesh, I'm turning into a GEAR NAZI!!!!!!!! OH NO!!!!! Ok, I wear earplugs even when I don't wear my helmet. Whew, I feel better now.

And of course I'm short enough that I can get into the "cone of silence" with a stock shield. So at least if I splatter my brain, my ears will probably still work. Probably.
+2 on ear plugs.I never had a problem with the '93 FJ1200 (3XW) :rolleyes: - Standard 'fluted' touring screen (OEM) and HJC helmet. I would use ear plugs on long country touring ($1.60+), but to be honest...there was no issue.

Now I have the 07 FJR. I enjoy the screen down, it's refreshing to me to have some buffeting from the wind around town, freeway etc. However, the noise in the helmet is shocking. Raising the screen reduces the air flow (which is what it is designed to do, of course), but I do enjoy the fresh air flowing through the helmet vents, and through the 2 - 5mm aperture I leave with the visor "just" open.

So...for me? New helmet coming up soon. No way will I change the screen, I think the down position adds nicely to the profile of the bike, and I like that a lot.

Oh yeah.... I am 6' 5" and 34" inside leg. I have raised the seat, but will lower it again soon. As said before, I also prefer the lower centre of gravity.

Probably won't do much but I think tomorrow I will give lowering the seat a whack. Not sure how much that is going to affect where my feet rest and how comfortable that is but I guess I will find out soon enough.

Although I'm not as tall in the saddle as you are, since adding a V-Stream to my '06 I no longer need earplugs at all! Additionally, since the V-Stream has improved conditions so much I have found that I can further reduce the wind noise by closing the intake vents on the top of my Arai helmet!

During the past two weeks I have ridden comfortably in temps from the low 40's up to 99.

Well, I can't say that I don't have a few choices to work with anyways. I actually tried ripping apart a pair of ear muffs and putting them on the inside. Just the foam and the round padding. It would work great if it didn't mash my head. I took the foam out and it seems to work a little better. Seems like some sort of windscreen will offer me what I am looking for the best. If not I guess I can take a big piece of cardboard and make a square out of it, cut out the middle and cover it in saran wrap and tape it to my stock shield. I'm all about the bargains.

ear plugs
+1

I do wear earplugs, and have an endless supply of them. I for sure know about damage to hearing. Just had a hearing test yesterday. Loading military cargo aircraft with engines running has taught me well enough to wear hearing protection. The APU running is supposed to do even more damage to your ears but we have to deal with all that stuff.