wind noise while listen to music

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorkler

Ave U !!!!
Reaction score
Was at the new york show and ordered a pair of big ears molded moniters , which are made by westone . The problem is when its very windy i can hear the wind noise its not overpowering the music but its there . Also the pair was 299.00 bucks so they were not cheap . be a giant difference from the earphones the mp3 players come with .

I bought a Motrax "Wind Stop" neoprene helmet skirt a few weeks ago. It worked very well to reduce wind noise but it kept slipping off my helmet and started to tear along the seam, suggesting it was too small (unfortunately, it is "one size fits all"). I returned it to the Cycle Gear store and got a refund. However, it worked so well for listening to my IPod with Etymotic ER6 earphones that I wanted to give it another try (especially on my ride from Miami to Atlanta next week) so I bought another one. This time I plan to try gluing it to the helmet. Also, it seemed to fit better with the label and the wider side of the opening towards the front of the helmet instead of towards the rear, contrary to what you might expect. Anyway, I hope I can get it to stay in place because it really did seem to work. It was only $10 online from Cycle Gear, so you might want to give it a try. Someone makes a more expensive helmet skirt, like $40-$50...I can't remember the name but they had them also at the Cycle Gear store.

Additional info added: The other helmet skirt is the Quiet Rider.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get complete silence as much as a great reduction in all ambient noises along with audio that doesn't have to fight the wind noise in the helmet to get to my ears.

I can still hear traffic but the noise reduction is enough that I know my hearing is being protected.

Until some Rob Zombie or Primus comes on and demands to be turned up!

Well........I have only said it a bazillion times. DON'T GET THE WESTONES!!!! If you must get the custom molded jobbies, you should get the Challenger model type made by Precision Labs. (Use the vendor or audiologist of your choice to make the molds and send them in)

Me, none of the custom molded jobbies worked. As you experienced, they simply did not attenuate near enough ambient noise.

I ended up going with the Etyomotic ER-6 earbud speakers. They ain't perfect either, but they attenuate ambient noise. They work!

shit scotter i must of been sleeping , thanks anyway . going to give the company a call today and see what they say .

called the company and talked to the person that sold me the plugs . hes reply was some times the plugs are not inserted in the right manner , second he suggested i see him at the n.y. car show next week (call him first so he can get me in without paying the entrance fee) i can either shoot a new set of plugs or he said if i wanted he would give me my cash back . cant get any better than that . the company is called BIG EAR located in colorado

Keith owns Tulsa Truck Center and does the FJR forum a great service with his autocom service. He also sells custom stereo or just regular earmolds by Challenger. When I bought mine they were $160 a few years ago. Also hooked me up with an adapter for a 2.5 mm stereo jack for my 7 pin autocom cord. Great guy great service. He sends the earmold kit for the impressions, which I had done by the ear doctor then send them back and perfict fit and sound. I will admit they block out less db outside noise than do the inserts such as my er-6's but are much more comfortable. I am extremely pleased with his sales and service.

Last edited by a moderator: