Windscreen height advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I want to replace the stock windshield on the '06 with a Cee Bailey as soon as they have them but am not quite sure how much more height I would need. Is there a good method of determining this or is it just a matter of preference? I am 6' and prefer the seat on the lower setting but am still getting wind hitting the top of the helmet with the stock windshield in the full up position. I think 2" should do it but I would hate to be wrong and have to return it once ordered.

I'll have to try that screen sizer thingy.

I'm having a hard time with windshield height. I have the +4/+4 CB, which is pretty big, but I still can't get it right for a dead-air area. Too high, I see right "through" the screen/sky seperation which bugs me, and too low, I get wind pushing on my helmet. I'm 5'8" w/ 30in inseam.

I'm almost ready to go back to stock and not worry about the air. It's probably time to do that anyway, as summers pretty much here, but I was hoping to have an option.

I've never tried the CalSci formula either, but I'm enjoying their tall shield even though I have to look through the shield when it's in the full "up" position. True, it's a compromise to look through the shield, but in the up position, the ride is very quiet -- much quieter than the '04 stock, the Yamaha optional taller screen and the Givi standard with a flip -- a good thing for touring. If there's too much glare or dirt or whatever on the shield, I keep it at a lower setting until the situation improves.

I'm a little over 5' 9" with a 31" inseam. In the down position, the CalSci tall is about 2" below my field of view at 30-50' ahead of the front wheel. All the way up it's about 2" above my field of view.

My theory was to buy the tallest shield I could lay my hands on, then use the adjustment to lower it a bit if it was too much. Worked out fine for me. Sometimes I ride with the shield fully raised, sometimes lower it all the way for some good 'ol wind blast. But mostly ride with it someplace near the top, about 85 percent or so. YMMV