Windshield bolts: scary ride yesterday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming home on group ride today when windscreen suddenly bent back towards me. All nylon screws broke, had one steel screw in the middle otherwise I would have been screwed. Limped home (under 60) with screen lowered. Replaced all screws with steel.

Coming home on group ride today when windscreen suddenly bent back towards me. All nylon screws broke, had one steel screw in the middle otherwise I would have been screwed. Limped home (under 60) with screen lowered. Replaced all screws with steel.
Never "normally" happens. Read bin-o-facts item 39.

You can also get aluminium screws designed for the job, I suppose intermediate between plastic and steel.

Once had my screen come off, probably something to do with the bike low-siding at the time
uhoh.gif
. Screen was unscathed. Much plastic was not.

Everyone is different. I'm doing my 65K oil change this weekend or next, and I've added the largest vstream they make to the shields that have survived high winds and redacted speeds with my stock nylon screws. I do have spares, just in case I damage the threads on one, or more importantly, because sometimes the clips can get jacked up, like the ones around the battery compartment, and they'll eat the metal stock panel screws. A spare nylon windshield screw will go in one of those finicky clips all day long, and twice on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming home on group ride today when windscreen suddenly bent back towards me. All nylon screws broke, had one steel screw in the middle otherwise I would have been screwed.
I find it odd that you have five stock fasteners except for one and assume that if you hadn't had just that one non-stock one the stock ones failed. I question your assumption and why would you do one fastener? I would also question the amount of torque you had on the stock fasteners.

I've NEVER heard of a case of a stock fasteners breaking "suddenly" unless the passenger is flying through the windshield because of get-off type event and know multiple times of people snapping off and over-torquing the Yamaha-engineered tension fasteners mistakenly thinking they should be tightened like steel ones. This goes even for those that have installed barn door after-market windshields that regularly ride above a ton in gusty winds.

What he said ^.

The fasteners are designed to snap at a very specific loading. Unless they are defective, they won't snap from wind stress.

If they are over tight, then they are already well into their load profile when standing still.

They have to be pretty darn tight for this to happen.

As bill says, everyone is different. But, from my perspective I would never consider using steel screws for this application. It is bypassing a designed in safety feature.

I've gone through the windshield on my FJR before when I was rear ended by some kid.

Believe me, I was happy for the shearing screws that day.

The thing is those rubber mounted nuts are in there for the same reason, to break away when something smacks the 'shield.

When I had to work for a living I spent several years building pontoon boats.
We, and probably every manufacturer used grommet nuts with stainless screws as this was the coast guard approved method.

Didn't a FJR rider have his windshield fly off while riding in the Iron Butt last year? Seems like I remember it being reported and he was looking for help on the road.

130,000 miles on my 07 and half the year I run a Vstream shield with occasional forays into triple digit speeds. Still using the original factory plastic screws and they haven't broke - probably because I just use my finger TIPS only on the screwdriver when tightening. Plus I've loaned out shields out numerous times to local FJR riders to try out, so the screws have been in and out a bunch of times. Just don't overtighten and they work as designed, although thankfully I haven't tested their break-away strength when doing a Superman through the windshield. ;)

My only caveat about the screws is: If your screen encounters something in a tip over (especially in the garage when you don't have the side stand fully extended), a metal screw will break the windshield; plastic screws will shear and leave your windshield unbroken. DAMHIK.

That was Steve, because the well nuts levered out, not because the screws broke, if I recall correctly. I don’t know about help, but he had to retrieve his at least twice.

Didn't a FJR rider have his windshield fly off while riding in the Iron Butt last year? Seems like I remember it being reported and he was looking for help on the road.

My only caveat about the screws is: If your screen encounters something in a tip over (especially in the garage when you don't have the side stand fully extended), a metal screw will break the windshield; plastic screws will shear and leave your windshield unbroken. DAMHIK.
Nope BTDT The windshield survived intact as the rubber mount nuts pulled through and the screws lived another day

However the right saddle bag, mirror, and assorted hard mounted plastic indicated dismay at my idiocy.

Maybe that stuff should have break away fasteners?
grin.gif

I emailed RIFLE this morning and got a prompt reply back from them.

Comment: I recently purchased a Rifle +5 for my 2011 FJR1300. There is an ongoing discussion in the FJR community as to why Rifle uses nylon bolts instead of metal fasteners to hold the windshield in place. Several potential reasons have surfaced during the discussion, but it's all speculation. I was wondering if anyone at Rifle could shed light on the real reason.

Answer: It's for safety. In an accident, we want the windshield to break away.

2 weeks ago I had my FJR up to redacted mph and had no problem with the windshield coming loose. Hint: My digital GPS speedo indicated 138.

Alright, you convinced me, order seven new ones.
fool.gif
A little relief here on your decision.

I'd suggest using a well-fitting screwdriver - if you are getting the gold-plated* OEM screws, use the bike's screwdriver (JAS not Philips), that will prevent damage to the slots. Hold the windscreen in place so the screws go in fairly easily, and finally tighten using just your fingertips. The screws won't come undone even if loose (not that I'm suggesting leaving them loose!).

*There must be some reason why they are so pricey.

Plus I've loaned out shields out numerous times to local FJR riders to try out, so the screws have been in and out a bunch of times.
In order to ensure that I didn't damage your nylon OEM screws when I borrowed your windshield, I didn't even use them. I just set your windshield on my mounting bracket and told it to stay there.

Plus I've loaned out shields out numerous times to local FJR riders to try out, so the screws have been in and out a bunch of times.
In order to ensure that I didn't damage your nylon OEM screws when I borrowed your windshield, I didn't even use them. I just set your windshield on my mounting bracket and told it to stay there.
Not all of us have the Force like you do, Yoda. LOL :)

I'm surprised you didn't design and manufacture new fasteners?

I know they are fragile... but I also know they WORK! I low sided (my '03) on a (very) tight turn in TN at a COG rally.

The second I hit the grass the shield (larger Ahamay) flipped off and my tank bag went rolling.

I picked up the bike, attached the bag, and strapped down the shield to my back seat. (very windy without one) (no rips, tears, or even scratches).

Even the Yamaha dealer had no replacements, so I came home w/ steel screws. Now I have all the OEM screws and feel (a little) safer... knowing I won't get decapitated if I crashed again. Basically, I trust the factory stuff, and use OEM whenever reasonable. Don't over-tighten them and they may have to work for you too. YMMV