Windshield bracket left+right adjustment and alignment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bionicpork

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased an extra large Calsci touring screen which, as you'd imagine, is extremely large. I'm enjoying the screen but it brought to light that the mounting points for my windshield appear to be off-center. This is causing the new screen to contact the fairing on one side while the other side still has half an inch of clearance. I've looked through the service manual and tried googling but haven't had much luck finding any info on if or how you can adjust the windshield bracket. I noticed the screw holes for the x-brace have some play in them which may be the root cause. It also appears that one of my screws was replaced with a generic so I think someone's been in there before and may not have reassembled properly.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Any advice for troubleshooting? (2019 FJR1300es)

y4m6ri9Au08kuQRujgtYVIPoo1KiupynFvC0O8WBDDVDwGmsGNVirxEowRNLK410dkrb7QvPsF6rF-Ff5FuBdU77N9yxgMEwR1-jCFCgGRaS0s2UnQC56rB42SWUifOF-vsSrd3GKU73w1ykEAm65o-TXlrDz_eiK4s9fkORfv-mdybW336iEiLIhnDk7zZ0e2J

y4mkTw-jUkhc8QYoWus5JJqBuG7Mxs_oqGh-UJLaSHaUCoRtZvkry8SFnKTol6HwuYNSO4OWEvY_yt-n8OQXnIL3F9mK3RAGevNhrtNt-5Dt-JDR5b0IF1pEsZNvPpS73kRO9Bru9MZbfGY6Ivqpy1AXu0cjvWLdHDgmH8VZnUSXPLuuF9rzQ10eHlavES7l0gK

y4mk23JXXR2xRnOYZsFkxCKWhzpHavA03HZ6urNd0Fteoj-NnlDu4mmY31w55qx-RovKJqmm981FC83-FT77aThMUrmxPpu_kE_2lRGAEwIUUhUq4t1KgNUA1xpNwPRBoLbC77yamp96qbWieGE5UDBQ9esZ0pwfAUIRYJ4R9j_gFFeooAa7dimYaEbjMyfz5hi

Have you considered that the screen may not be simetrical?
Always a possibility. Best I can tell it is manufactured properly. Part of the reason I think the mount is the culprit is the mount is visibly not centered on the yamaha badge on the front. Whether that's the mount or the fairing (or just normal) I'm not sure yet.

Just thinking out loud here but, if the windshield mount assembly were off by say 1/4" the arms would contact the faring in the openings that they pass through, wouldn't they?

If I remember correctly, CalSci gave you some rubber bumpers for their extra large screens because they touched the fairing. Could you space it out with some plastic washers between the screen and the brackets?

I bought a Calsci windscreen and found at full up the turbulence behind the screen was pretty bad. The front almost touched the front fairing cutting off the flow on the inside of the screen. After some wool tufting inside and on the outside determined that lifting and tilting back would enable flow along the inside screen surface.
I printed spacers to attach to the mount and the screen attached to the spacers. The geometry is difficult but after a couple of iterations in quick print to verify the mount, it was printed as a structure. I think I had three versions with increasing the front opening. The mounts had about 30 k miles and triple digits with temperatures from 16 to 105 F. On my 2007 I had a Rifle screen which had a similar standoff arrangement and worked well. I would have gone with another Rifle but they don't make them for the 2019.
The other benefit of the standoffs is more room for stuff on the accessory rail above the instrument cluster.
I can post the .STL files. If you want a different angle or spacing I may be able to go back into the CAD file and change the parameters to generate another STL.
Hope this helps
Peter

Attachments

• 4160471A-D4DC-4C1E-A8E9-1F5DA1AF63BE.jpeg
    4160471A-D4DC-4C1E-A8E9-1F5DA1AF63BE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 5271A69F-074B-402F-824C-221B7141E8BF.jpeg
    5271A69F-074B-402F-824C-221B7141E8BF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 71A50694-AA6A-474C-B08C-35000F9201F8.jpeg
    71A50694-AA6A-474C-B08C-35000F9201F8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • EAE60946-D2AD-4E9B-9AFF-C84EFE8A80C0.jpeg
    EAE60946-D2AD-4E9B-9AFF-C84EFE8A80C0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 167855DF-FFA7-4507-B4E0-D4F8E90394D4.jpeg
    167855DF-FFA7-4507-B4E0-D4F8E90394D4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 756DE85E-7158-4803-BB6A-3F04020FB035.jpeg
    756DE85E-7158-4803-BB6A-3F04020FB035.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
I bought a Calsci windscreen and found at full up the turbulence behind the screen was pretty bad. The front almost touched the front fairing cutting off the flow on the inside of the screen. After some wool tufting inside and on the outside determined that lifting and tilting back would enable flow along the inside screen surface.
I printed spacers to attach to the mount and the screen attached to the spacers. The geometry is difficult but after a couple of iterations in quick print to verify the mount, it was printed as a structure. I think I had three versions with increasing the front opening. The mounts had about 30 k miles and triple digits with temperatures from 16 to 105 F. On my 2007 I had a Rifle screen which had a similar standoff arrangement and worked well. I would have gone with another Rifle but they don't make them for the 2019.
The other benefit of the standoffs is more room for stuff on the accessory rail above the instrument cluster.
I can post the .STL files. If you want a different angle or spacing I may be able to go back into the CAD file and change the parameters to generate another STL.
Hope this helps
Peter
Wow, I really like the work and appreciate the offer. I haven’t had any issues with turbulence: the protection is excellent. One of these days I’ll take the screen back off and do some measurements of the hole placement and maybe find the root cause of the alignment issue.

Here are a couple of images of the models and the geometry.
I tried to attach the STL files but my iPad or the site is not allowing it. Send me a message and I will e-mail them to you.

the models are shown in the 3D build orientation.

FJR SCREEN SPACERS.jpgFJR Screenwedge geometry.jpg

Switching back to my summer screen gave me the opportunity, and drive, to investigate this problem again. I can confirm it is a manufacturing defect: comparing the hole geometry and placement of the CalSci screen with the Yamaha screen and taking more precise measurements while uninstalled shows the CalSci holes are slightly out of alignment with the vertical line of the screen, causing the contact on one side, and placed slightly too wide causing the forced flex during installation.

That being said, I did enjoy the extra protection during my winter riding. I especially enjoyed it when caught in the rain, in the upright position I barely got damp. I placed a piece of electrical tape where it contacted the fairing in the lowest position and this protected the paint. After removing the shield and tape there is no trace.

Always a possibility. Best I can tell it is manufactured properly. Part of the reason I think the mount is the culprit is the mount is visibly not centered on the yamaha badge on the front. Whether that's the mount or the fairing (or just normal) I'm not sure yet.
your stay may be slightly bent.. if she rides true I'd leave well enough alone..
of course this is totally my unprofessional opinion

Latest posts