Windshield movement normal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve in Phx

Reaction score
My new-to-me 2007 windshield has some movement in it, forward and backward. I'm wondering if this is normal.

The up and down movement is free and quiet and smooth and it does not move around while riding. It's only the forward/backward in the video that I'm concerned with.

To better explain, I took a short video in the hopes you all could tell me if yours does the same?

https://vid1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah228/two_wheeled/windshield%20flex_zpsyii43ze6.mp4

My 03/abs has some movement in it forward and backward.I think that it is normal and all the fjr have this little movement in the windshield.

It comes from the interstices of the moving parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 03/abs has some movement in it forward and backward.I think that it is normal and all the fjr have this little movement in the windshield.It comes from the interstices of the moving parts.
"Interstices" - wow! I haven't heard that word used since secondary school (about 1961) when it was used in an english literature class to describe the effect of sunlight glimpsed through a canopy of tree leaves...............

My 03/abs has some movement in it forward and backward.I think that it is normal and all the fjr have this little movement in the windshield.It comes from the interstices of the moving parts.
"Interstices" - wow! I haven't heard that word used since secondary school (about 1961) when it was used in an english literature class to describe the effect of sunlight glimpsed through a canopy of tree leaves...............
Haha,google translate suggests this word,probably the right word is ''clearances'' or ''gaps''..?Which one is the right word..?
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

I would use a technical term like "slop". Mine has a little movement to it also. Nothing to worry about. As for the vocabulary lesson, it is an interesting use of the the word interstices. I have only used that word when it comes to underground tanks. Years ago they required all underground tanks to be double walled and have "interstitial" monitoring for leaks.

The mirrors appear to be moving slightly but I think that is only because the front of the fairing is moving with the fairing mechanism.

I seem to remember reading that the fairing mechanism is a threaded rod with arms that are threaded to ride up and down the threaded rod ?

Is this correct ?

If so the threaded rod and threaded arms could be worn ?

I think if that shield was mounted in steel with composit bushings, it wouldn't move at all. What I think you're seeing is the normal play the entire mechanism has. If I pull on my shield, I can force it forward and back too...

Don't stress it.

{redjay Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:50 AM}
...the front of the fairing is moving with the fairing mechanism...I seem to remember reading that the fairing mechanism is a threaded rod with arms that are threaded to ride up and down the threaded rod...
Depends on the Gen. Gen I has a threaded rod. Gen II was designed by Rube Goldberg.

Gen II:

1_DSCF5562.JPG

My >100k mile Gen I FJR has lots of back/forth play which creates lots of flutter when the windshield is more than 50% up.

It looks like there is a plastic part that rides in a T slot ? Wear on that plastic part could cause the interstices/slop/jiggle ?

{redjay Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:50 AM}

...the front of the fairing is moving with the fairing mechanism...I seem to remember reading that the fairing mechanism is a threaded rod with arms that are threaded to ride up and down the threaded rod...
Depends on the Gen. Gen I has a threaded rod. Gen II was designed by Rube Goldberg.

Gen II:

My >100k mile Gen I FJR has lots of back/forth play which creates lots of flutter when the windshield is more than 50% up.
The string and pulleys won't cause the rocking movement, it would be either the sliders in the guides or play in the bearings of the stays. Either way, that movement looks about what I remember from my Gen IIs, worst at the bottom, better higher up.

Steve, check your windshield mounting screws, the plastic ones underneath the "W" shaped piece. When I was riding through Idaho on I-15, it was REALLY windy, and I noticed my windshield flopping around a lot. While cleaning the windshield the next morning, I thought, "this ain't right" and checked the screws. Of the 7 screws that hold the windshield on, 5 of them had broken. Crap! I ended up using duct tape to hold the thing on for the remaining 540 miles to get home. I've since bought a bag of 100 white plastic screws and replaced all the old ones. I even carry spares now. Let me know if you need some, I certainly have extras.

Don

All screws are good and the mounts are solid, as a matter of fact I just changed the shield. The mechanism behind the fairing is what allows the movement.

I just don't want to remove the fairing to check something that's working as designed. Aint nobody got time for that.

All screws are good and the mounts are solid, as a matter of fact I just changed the shield. The mechanism behind the fairing is what allows the movement.I just don't want to remove the fairing to check something that's working as designed. Aint nobody got time for that.
Just monitor it, don't do anything unless it gets worse.

Steve, check your windshield mounting screws, the plastic ones underneath the "W" shaped piece. When I was riding through Idaho on I-15, it was REALLY windy, and I noticed my windshield flopping around a lot. While cleaning the windshield the next morning, I thought, "this ain't right" and checked the screws. Of the 7 screws that hold the windshield on, 5 of them had broken. Crap! I ended up using duct tape to hold the thing on for the remaining 540 miles to get home. I've since bought a bag of 100 white plastic screws and replaced all the old ones. I even carry spares now. Let me know if you need some, I certainly have extras.
Don
Dammit! I just added a dozen of these on an order for an air filter, brake pads, etc. Man, I am always a day late....