Windshield movement normal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Gen II is 'floppiest' all the way down but firms up as it rises. A lot like another part I know of.
tonguesmiley.gif

Steve, check your windshield mounting screws, the plastic ones underneath the "W" shaped piece. When I was riding through Idaho on I-15, it was REALLY windy, and I noticed my windshield flopping around a lot. While cleaning the windshield the next morning, I thought, "this ain't right" and checked the screws. Of the 7 screws that hold the windshield on, 5 of them had broken. Crap! I ended up using duct tape to hold the thing on for the remaining 540 miles to get home. I've since bought a bag of 100 white plastic screws and replaced all the old ones. I even carry spares now. Let me know if you need some, I certainly have extras.
Don
Hi Don

I just got back from a trip to Bar Harbor, Maine. On the way back, I also noticed my windshield shaking. I since have taken apart the windshiled and noticed 6 of the 7 plastic screws were broke. You mentioned that you ordered 100 plastic screws. Can you tell me where you purchased, how much, and any additional information (size, etc...) I need to place an order?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

As I was prepping my bike for EOM, I was washing it. I was looking at the shield, thinking, "It's kind of funny that some people have issues with these things and mine has never been off the bike." Then I got to looking at it and realized the screws looked funny.

So, I took off the bracket and realized every screw but one was loose. Some were backed way out. So, I took it off, for the first time ever and cleaned it really well. Then I replaced the screws and tightened them down.

Donno when the shield would have finally sheared or come off, but that day was coming. Maybe something to check.

I just got back from a trip to Bar Harbor, Maine. On the way back, I also noticed my windshield shaking. I since have taken apart the windshiled and noticed 6 of the 7 plastic screws were broke. You mentioned that you ordered 100 plastic screws. Can you tell me where you purchased, how much, and any additional information (size, etc...) I need to place an order?
Thanks in advance!

Rob
Rob,

This is what I ordered from McMaster-Carr:

I got the white screws, but they have them in black as well:

1 94879A328 Metric Nylon Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw, M5 Size, 20 mm Length, 0.8 mm Pitch, packs of 100 1 pack 8.41 per pack

Steve, check your windshield mounting screws, the plastic ones underneath the "W" shaped piece. When I was riding through Idaho on I-15, it was REALLY windy, and I noticed my windshield flopping around a lot. While cleaning the windshield the next morning, I thought, "this ain't right" and checked the screws. Of the 7 screws that hold the windshield on, 5 of them had broken. Crap! I ended up using duct tape to hold the thing on for the remaining 540 miles to get home. I've since bought a bag of 100 white plastic screws and replaced all the old ones. I even carry spares now. Let me know if you need some, I certainly have extras.

Don

Could use some of those screws . Was.thinking of going to metal ones. You mind telling me where I might find some?

You mentioned that you ordered 100 plastic screws. Can you tell me where you purchased, how much, and any additional information (size, etc...)

FYI ... The OEM black plastic screws are designed to break under the pressure of a crash (DAMHIK). This may save a life or a limb during a get-off.

If you choose replacement screws, don't use metal (or even stronger plastic) or you will have defeated the point of 'safety screws'. YMMV