windshield noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunk43

Reaction score
My windshield 2011 FJR bought new in april is making these noises when going up and down.

Sounds like it needs some lube can someone here point me in the right direction ?

Bike has 5500 miles..

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you describe the noise? Mine makes a plastic rubbing sound that is normal when it is going up and down. I think my noise is from the rubber shield underneath rubbing on the metal supports sticking through the fairing.

Is it moving smoothly? If so, I would doubt it needs grease. BUt it is easy to do. You have to pull the nose off and clean the grease out and put new in. It will take a couple of hours to do.

Exploded view of the windshield mechanism. This item comes up pretty often...IIRC some have been successful using white Lithium grease and carefully lubing the guides.

Good luck!

--G

Can you describe the noise? Mine makes a plastic rubbing sound that is normal when it is going up and down. I think my noise is from the rubber shield underneath rubbing on the metal supports sticking through the fairing.

Is it moving smoothly? If so, I would doubt it needs grease. BUt it is easy to do. You have to pull the nose off and clean the grease out and put new in. It will take a couple of hours to do.
+1, If it's a squeaky noise it's the rubber against the metal, just spray it with a silicone and the noise will stop

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably shuddering caused by friction of the nylon sliders running on the mechanism's tracks or runners.

My 2011 did the same thing at about the same mileage, until I pulled the tupperware off the nose, cleaned the old grease out, polished the runners with 2000 grit & metal polish, and re-lubed with some moly-based grease.

I plan to re-lube the runners again once the season is over.

Another thing is to check the cable tension while you have the nose tupperware off. I think the cable stretches a little over time, and the resulting slack exaggerates the shuddering.

You'll have to loosen the cable pulley wheel shown in the image. IIRC, there's a hex key bolt hidden behind part of the mechanism in this photo. Raise the mechanism with the power on while making the adjustment.

Then loosen the locknut, and turn the adjuster bolt a little to take up a bit of slack. Don't tighten it too much, but it should be snug.

fjrwscr.jpg

Re-tighten the locknut, then the pulley bolt.

:D

That's almost exactly what I thought I was seeing when I first pulled the nose tupperware :blink:

I think maybe Yamaha design team have too much shochu the night before... :dribble:

My windshield 2011 FJR bought new in april is making these noises when going up and down.

Sounds like it needs some lube can someone here point me in the right direction ?

Bike has 5500 miles..
The bike is still under warranty so I will let D&H cycle look at it.

Not where I bought the bike but closer and more knowledgeable about the FJR....

Just for the halibut I had to go to Ron Ayers' to see what that little mechanical marvel costs: $480... painful but not as bad as the ABS unit: $1,100 (oi! me arse!)

I have had this problem as well. Even after cleaning and re-greasing the sliders and tracks and tightening the cable, it still shuddered.

I found that the outboard vylon sliders were very tight in the tracks. Almost like they had shrunken from the heat. I doubled up some fine emery cloth and polished the grooves in the sliders where the edges of the track rides, lubed them up and it's been working flawlessly since. I think I will buy a couple of replacement sliders and keep them on hand for the next time I have the plastic off. If I recall, they were only about $6 a piece.