Winter is around the corner. Where do you buy your cold weather gear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
I am about to have my first winter of commuting. I realize I live in California but it does actually snow where I live. I plan to ride all through winter when possible so I need to find out from those of you who are more experience than I what I need to make my 50 mile commute to work bearable. I would like to do this right from the get go so I am seeking input from those who have been there done that. So in your opinion what are the must have's for winter commuting. Right now all I have is Heated Grips, a textile jacket and pants that I have been wearing all summer and seem to be good to about 55degrees. I know I need some different gloves cause all I have is summer gloves. So suggestions on all gear would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to alot of responses so I can do some fun spending.....

To answer your question, I use a Gerbing jacket liner and gloves, Fieldsheer insulated pants (got 'em on closeout so that exact model isn't available anymore), and wool socks. The wool socks make a huge difference in warmth over cotton. I also wear a windproof balaclava under my helmet.

I stay warm enough down to 26 degrees on my 37 mile commute.

It depends on just how cold it gets where you are, but getting a set of the V-Strom Handguards goes a long way in keeping your hands warm. Your legs should be fine with just insulated pants (no heat). A heated vest is a must if you're riding in real cold weather and if you do get any heated gear, get a Heat Troller® to control it.

There are two great places in Ohio to get all gear. Even though they're in OH, they ship fast and no tax. Try Iron Pony and Competition Accessories. They have tons of closeouts at good prices.

Just my 2¢ :rolleyes: