Winter project

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamal

No longer frightened by corners!
Reaction score
Couldn't resist picking this up as a winter project. It's a 1974 French VeloSolex moped.

006.jpg

It comes standard with a centre-stand, 'Russell-like' sprung seat, rear drum brake and a full tool-kit.

014.jpg

017.jpg

023.jpg

Someone already started 'farkling' it, adding the optional engine guard and touring bags. :)

013.jpg

016.jpg

There is a ton of room on the handlebars for a digital speedo and GPS.

021.jpg

Looking forward to riding this to the grocery store.

Al.

Hi Al,

I am just a bit concerned that with front wheel drive you will not be able to pop a wheelie!

I like the look of the TOYOTA in the background, no doubt that is a source of fun.

Best regards

Surly

I am just a bit concerned that with front wheel drive you will not be able to pop a wheelie!
Going backwards, he could. Boy, the French sure put out some good looking vehicles, huh?

Actually, it looks like it'll be a hell of a lot of fun to ride around town on. Please be sure to post up the "after" piccies, Kamal.

Hi Al,

I like the look of the TOYOTA in the background, no doubt that is a source of fun.

Best regards

Surly
That's why the engine is over the front wheel, to keep it on the ground. This little sucker winds out to 3,800 rpm and produces .8 hp!!!!! :yahoo:

The POS Toyota is my son's. Useless in snow, so he drives my old VW Jetta in the winter.

Enjoy your summer.

Al.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am excited to see the finish product, should turn out very nice :)
When it's done, I'll pop down and buy you a coffee - shouldn't take more than a week to get there :( - but only a pint of gas. :D

(Actually, I was reading somewhere that a guy rode Route 66 on one of these.)

Al.

That looks like a pretty cool winter project! Does it run?

I have a soft spot for 50cc scooters, but have never ventured onto a moped. Of course, at 6'-1" and 220 pounds, my wife tells me I look like a shriner in a parade. But there is nothing like an 800km day on a scooter that tops out at 65kph. I know of no other bike that can be rode WOT all of the time.

Cheers and have fun with it.

That looks like a pretty cool winter project! Does it run?

I have a soft spot for 50cc scooters, but have never ventured onto a moped. Of course, at 6'-1" and 220 pounds, my wife tells me I look like a shriner in a parade. But there is nothing like an 800km day on a scooter that tops out at 65kph. I know of no other bike that can be rode WOT all of the time.

Cheers and have fun with it.
Thanks!

It doesn't run at the moment. The engine is free and it has a good spark, but it's been sitting in a shed for fifteen years - a full re-build SHOULD fix it.

This is a result of an 'American Pickers' type meeting. Started yapping to a grey haired guy wearing an old, beat up, Harley jacket in a coffee shop. He tells me he was into restoring old bikes, until kids came along and priorities changed. Also, he was into trials riding and still has a Montesa Cota and a Bultaco - somewhere in his shop - but they're 'keepers'. I told him my first 'bike' was an NSU Quickly moped and he says "Do I have a project for you!"

Al.

More pics here - if you're interested. https://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h178/kamloopsal/VeloSolex%204600%20V1/

Last edited by a moderator: