winter ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrider

Reaction score
Went for a 141 mile ride today Rhode Island and Connetticut 45 degrees not bad for january 6th. Man it felt great.

Lucky Dog. I spent afternoon moving firewood. Later, a little more enjoyable work; started to strip off parts of my latest bike. A 1975 Honda CB400F which I actually sold to my best friend & he gave it back to me on Friday. So I guess we both had a good motorcycling day. :yahoo: :yahoo:

My winter ride was returning from La Crosse, WI to Portland, Orygun taking Hwy 80 just before the middle of October 07. As I crossed the eastern part of the Great Divide, it was raining heavily, wind was from the west about 25mph and the temp was 36 degrees on the LCD of my 06A.

Coming down into the Great Basin towards Larimie, WY, I watched my LCD drop to 32, the rain turned to snow and it was cold riding. My Redwing insulated and waterproof boots I'd purchased in Black Earth, Wisconsin saved my feet and my Gerbing heated gloves saved my hands. Had a pull over rain jacket that kept out the wind and moisture...but it was still a cold, cold ride. When ever I stopped.....folks seemed to have pity for me.

I survived the ride home but the memory is still strong so have not ridden all that much since ...just day trips when the temp gets up to mid 40's and it's not currently raining.

I came across some pics I took on 3-15-06 ride here in the NW....it looked like a beautiful, warm day.....that's only about 60 days from now....WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! BTW...forgot to mention, my total ride Orygun, CA,AZ, TX, AR, SC, to WI and home to Orygun was 7,843 miles....bugs on my teeth all the way.

27Man :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Went for a 141 mile ride today Rhode Island and Connetticut 45 degrees not bad for january 6th. Man it felt great.
170 miles yesterday on the Feejer and another 100 today on the KLR on Long Island. Got to keep those batteries charged. By the looks of the weather, I should be able to take the VFR out tomorrow. Mid 50's both Monday and Tuesday. This is January isn't it?

125 miles today riding to St Augustine beach and back. Beautiful day in the middle 70's. We must of seen over 100 bikers out and about.

Returned today after riding about 400 miles over three days in West Virginia.

No salt or snow and very little gravel on the roads south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Temps on Fri started low ( 11 degs. ) but rose to about 45 by end of day.

Sat started about 35 but rose to around 45 and today ( Sun ) began with temps already in the 40's.

Rather than sit around counting the days till spring, I and eight like minded riders

spent the weekend riding loops around WV and PA that stretched from Berkely Springs

to Breezewood. The roads were dry, traffic was non-existant and even the weather co-operated

with no rain and occassional peaks of blue sky.

I gotta tell ya, riding, even in less than ideal conditions, beats sitting on the couch any day!

Based on the turnout this weekend, the plan is to make this an annual event. Cool :specool:

I did a 120 mile ride on Jan 8th from North Haven CT to Rhode Island and back. My Gerbing's heated jacket

liner and heated grips really helped. Ate lunch at the Oh Boy Dinner in Groton CT.