Wiring Hella FF50's to highbeam switch?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyjack

Reaction score
I had my Hellas wired up to the highbeam switch on my Gen 1, but only used them intermittently, as I was concerned about draw. I now have a Gen 2, and want the same setup. Do you think its a poor idea to run them that way for an extended period? Or is it fine, if the current isn't running through the switch? As you can tell, I'm far from an electrical engineer. Thanks!

I would power them off the battery with a fuze and then have the high beam wire trigger a relay that would turn the lights on or have the relay power a switch

I would only use the high beam wire to run a relay and not power the Hellas's

when they build the wiring harness they figure the wire size right to the max. when they are buying miles of wire they want to keep the weight down and want to buy the cheaper wire, so there is not much room to add much to the wires that are already there.

Great advice ^^^^

I definitely wouldn't run aux lights off the factory headlight wiring. Use the high beams [switch] for a trigger to a 30A relay, fused and wired properly.

Something similar to THIS w/o the distribution block.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have mine on a relay which works well, triggered by the wire to the high beam under the dash panels. Power comes from a fused distribution box.

I also use a 3 position toggle switch so I can have the lights;

1. On with high beam activated.

2. Off

3. Always on when bike is running.

Gents - I really appreciate the info, and the references. This will enable me to educate myself, instead of diving in blindly, which is never good. Thanks all!

I used an AutoSwitch AS7, a dual 87 relay, and Posi-Lock connectors for my installation.

Headlight brackets by Dave that are perfect. Link to his profile: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showuser=14242

https://www.autoswitch.com/as7.php: Wiring diagram at bottom of page

Dual 87 relay: has two 87 output terminals instead of the most often seen 87 and 87a terminals. https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H41510171-Dual-SPST-Relay/dp/B000VU5FMW

Connectors at Posi-Lock.com. Used these for connections except the relay terminals. No wiring issues in three years or Northwest weather

Installation works well but I did manage to run down the original battery once while sitting in traffic for about 10 - 15 minutes with the driving lights turned on. Luckily there was a rider on a 800GS in the gas station who had a set of jumper cables and I was able to get the engine started again. Used the terminals on the Eastern Beaver fuseblock so I didn't have to remove any plastics. Bought a set of jumper cables the next week.

I don't have any pictures but I think I have my "as installed" wiring diagram. If I can find it I should be able to post a scanned image if needed.

I used an AutoSwitch AS7, a dual 87 relay, and Posi-Lock connectors for my installation.
Headlight brackets by Dave that are perfect. Link to his profile: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showuser=14242

https://www.autoswitch.com/as7.php: Wiring diagram at bottom of page

Dual 87 relay: has two 87 output terminals instead of the most often seen 87 and 87a terminals. https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H41510171-Dual-SPST-Relay/dp/B000VU5FMW

Connectors at Posi-Lock.com. Used these for connections except the relay terminals. No wiring issues in three years or Northwest weather

Installation works well but I did manage to run down the original battery once while sitting in traffic for about 10 - 15 minutes with the driving lights turned on. Luckily there was a rider on a 800GS in the gas station who had a set of jumper cables and I was able to get the engine started again. Used the terminals on the Eastern Beaver fuseblock so I didn't have to remove any plastics. Bought a set of jumper cables the next week.

I don't have any pictures but I think I have my "as installed" wiring diagram. If I can find it I should be able to post a scanned image if needed.
"a rider on a 800GS in the gas station who had a set of jumper cables"

Those Beemer GS riders are such good Boy scouts ain't they?
rolleyes.gif

No more or less so than the other riders I've met over the years. On the subject of Dual Sport bikes, there have been a number of times when I've wished for something more suited to some of the dirt roads/trails that head up into the hills from the highway. I just know there are adventures to be had just around the last corner i can see from the road and there have been a few occasions when I've had to just walk away from a Dual Sport in a showroom that is just begging to go look for an adventure.

No more or less so than the other riders I've met over the years. On the subject of Dual Sport bikes, there have been a number of times when I've wished for something more suited to some of the dirt roads/trails that head up into the hills from the highway. I just know there are adventures to be had just around the last corner i can see from the road and there have been a few occasions when I've had to just walk away from a Dual Sport in a showroom that is just begging to go look for an adventure.
I was referring to the 'always be prepared' part of the motto (carrying jumper cables). Speaking of Dual Sports, did you see the 'Suzuki DR650 ADV light' thread in 'Other Bikes'? I am having an absolute blast on my new DR! Obviously not a great highway bike but it sure rocks the dirt roads!

Just this morning I got stuck behind a guy pulling his small fishing boat on a chewed up dirt road leading to a lake doing 5 mph so to keep his boat trailer from bouncing all over, once I got around him I dialed it up to about 40 mph and had more fun roosting and sliding than should be allowed!

I love my FJR for what it does well and my DR for what it does well.

Along this threads topic; I'm wiring up LED aux. lights to the DR and toying with the idea of running an EB H4 harness to the headlight since it doesn't use a relay and all the juice runs through the switches (not ideal says Jim @ EB).