Wish me Luck!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjammer

Reaction score
You know, I was almost to embarassed to post this until I ran across what "Mailmanbob" and "Fred W" posted on an earlier thread...

"That is a "problem" I can identify with. Before buying the FJR, I had bought and sold more than 6 different bikes each for a year or less."

I then realized...Hey, I'm not alone!

Background: Last year I purchased a 2010 ZX-14. Now before you think I'm a teenager, let me state that I'm 41 yrs young. Love the ZX-14....but, I get the worst, sharp pain in the middle of my shoulder after about 45min to an hour. That's even with the Genmar Risers. Only put 1100 miles on it.

Present Day: ZX has been hibernation for the winter, but Spring is fast approaching. I've been doing tons of research on the FJR's and would love to make this my "last" and "final" purchase for a while. I really like the look of the FJR with/out the bags, and when I sat on one it was bliss. I'm also seeing that the FJR holds it's value more than most bikes. I would put it right up there with BMW and Harley in resale value. I also like the fact that most all of the kinks such as the ignition issue, heat, etc. have been dealt with.

I see lots of FJR Bikes here in NW Arkansas, especially during the time of a FJR Raley near Eureka Springs, AR so it will be good to have some comradery.

Hopefully in the near future I'll be posting a picture of my very own FJR. I know I'll take a beating on the ZX if I trade, but I know that upfront. If anyone from the NW Arkansas area can recommend some dealers, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two bikes, an '08 FJR and an '09 Candy Apple green ZX 14. Yep, the riding positions are different. I don't believe there are any unresolved issues with the FJR right now.

I have two bikes, an '08 FJR and an '09 Candy Apple green ZX 14. Yep, the riding positions are different. I don't believe there are any unresolved issues with the FJR right now.
The Candy Apple Green is a sharp color. It's one of those colors that must be seen in person to appreciate. Yeah my only other option is to purchase the LSL Bars and Givi Bags, but at that point and that much money, I would just prefer the FJR https://spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion.html.

The FJR is a great bike, you will be happy with it. The ZX engine is a better performer, more power and it is smoother. I find the vibration difference to be more noticeable than the power difference. Whenever I get on the FJR after not riding it for a while, I find the vibration very noticeable, but as I ride it, I forget about it. The FJR gets much better gas mileage and it has a bigger tank.

There are many other differences, but I thought I would only mention the ones noticeable only after riding both bikes.

Yeah, that's my job here. Make everyone feel better about themselves... :glare:

C'mon now, couldn't you just slap some tupperware on the ZX and call it a Connie?

Just kidding. Welcome, and good luck with getting on a nice® bike.

I think, thanks to the last bike trade-in on my FJR, I'm a recovering "Searcher". :rolleyes:

Thanks, Fred W.

I have to rant a minute, but before I do, let me be fair and say that not all dealers are the same.

I don't want to hear our local motorcycle dealerships complaining about the economy because when you call them to make a serious inquiry about a bike the majority treat you like a second class citizen. One individual did not even ask for my name or phone number. You would think they would be better at dealing with people since to many a motorycle is a want and not a need.

I could just about understand if I were some kid calling about a CBR, or Gixxer, but I'm asking about an FJR.

OK, I'm done.........and yes I feel better.

Where are you located...it doesn't show up in your profile.

If people knew where you were located...they MIGHT be able to recommend a stand-up dealer... :)

I'm 43 years old and two weeks ago I picked up a brand new leftover 09 FJR at Altus Motorsports in Altus, Oklahoma. I drove up from Houston which made the travel time of almost 900 miles in one day, round trip. I always owned cruisers (5) before this bike. I must say that this is the best bike I've ever owned. Me being 6'1", I'll need to do a few comfort mods as well as adding a few more HP's along the way. That being said, there is no way that I will EVER go back to twins. This bike has lots of factory power, huge tank, reliable shaft drive, HUGE hard bags, etc.....

Can't believe I ever considered a Harley. It's like comparing a 1972 John Deer tractor and a 500 horsepower Cadillac CTS-V. Glad I made the right choice!

Best of luck!

FJR rules.

I did a 450 mile round trip to Daytona last week. Saw a slew of FJR's there. We were well represented, guys.

For what it's worth, whenever we're out cruising in the boat (my Camry), everybody in the car has to stop, shut up, and take notice when we see an FJR on the road. Too many people just respect anything any more. It's a matter of duty. If I had a convertible, I might even stand at attention when an FJR glides by.

Gary

Darksider #44

Benjammer, each of us have to do what it takes to be happy on a bike. Brand, model... not important.

I really like my FJR. It has all the farkles that I need & it's a wonderful touring bike.

But, when I swing a leg over my ZX-14, smiles start to form. As you know, it's so smooth. Shifting, acceleration, braking.... it's the shizzle.

To me, it's the difference between a mule & a thoroughbred. Each has its place among the stars.

Oh, and riding positions & styles take a while to get used to. The ZX takes a 'gripping thighs' style (to relieve the strain on the wrists). I had lots of shoulder/neck pain on my FJR until I changed to a much lighter helmet. Now I can ride all day.

Here's my smile maker!

SDC10986-1.jpg

Stephen, well said. I didn't realize so many FJR owners own or came from a ZX14. Not to distract from this being a FJR website, but the ZX is a smooth, torquey bike. If I could pull it off I would do both the FJR and ZX-14. I'm disappointed in the local dealerships, so until I find a good deal on new/used FJR, the ZX will remain in the stable.

clapping.gif

Stephen, well said. I didn't realize so many FJR owners own or came from a ZX14. Not to distract from this being a FJR website, but the ZX is a smooth, torquey bike. If I could pull it off I would do both the FJR and ZX-14. I'm disappointed in the local dealerships, so until I find a good deal on new/used FJR, the ZX will remain in the stable.

Look at this option (one of many):

Linky

Latest posts